CEO of Camping world, Overton's and Gander Outdoors doesn't want your money.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Apparently if you agree with Trump that both sides were responsible for the violence in Charlottesville then the CEO of Camping World, Overton's and Gander Outdoors doesn't want your business. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/mar...what-trump-said-dont-shop-at-my-business.html I don't think that was a smart move, for some reason I don't think that ANTIFA members buy a lot of camping gear or boats and the people that do don't want politics to be part of the sale.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    First, he's CEO of a big retailer and host of a television show? Right there is a big flag that he's not doing his job.

Second, it's his show, he controls the direction, he has the choice to keep his mouth shut. This whole thing is a colossal field of landmines, and what's he do? Grabs a pogo stick.

:n00b:

Perhaps there's a stock ripe for shorting...

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    The Camping World Facebook page is interesting. Three guesses what the target demographic is for RVs costing tens of thousands of dollars?

I'm on their mailing list because of a tour we took, next ad I get from them will get a testy reply from me.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Interestingly Henry Ford put Edsel in charge of Ford when he did to drive Ford's value down facilitating stock buy back and ultimately complete control of Ford Mtr Co. While I do not agree with Marcus's beliefs and recently have nor had reason to buy product through any of his holdings, I suspect he is not as business foolish as some who disagree with him would like to believe. While his remarks may be damaging to these companies and those employed there; a part of me cynically has to wonder if his comments weren't designed to his benefit.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Interestingly Henry Ford put Edsel in charge of Ford when he did to drive Ford's value down facilitating stock buy back and ultimately complete control of Ford Mtr Co. While I do not agree with Marcus's beliefs and recently have nor had reason to buy product through any of his holdings, I suspect he is not as business foolish as some who disagree with him would like to believe. While his remarks may be damaging to these companies and those employed there; a part of me cynically has to wonder if his comments weren't designed to his benefit.

Yes, but that assumes that the customers he pisses off will ever come back.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Well, I went ahead and actually listened to it. He starts off by talking about the danger of CEOs voicing there politics as individuals and as company representatives and the damage that can do to the business. I never heard him say "If you agree with Trump..." like the headline said.

He does say he's "horrified" by what's coming out of this administration, etc. He's asked about being on a council for the White House and during his response says "there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what's been said the last couple of days, and if they are, quite frankly don't shop at my business."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Marcus knows his customer base.

He's also responded on Twitter: https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis?lang=en

I don't agree with everything he said. Honestly, there is a time for violence and I think the motive for violence matters (self defense is violence, folks, but it's an appropriate use of it). I do however respect him and what he's accomplished, and don't see the need for a witch hunt over his off the cuff remark, particularly given the context in which it was said.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Well, I went ahead and actually listened to it. He starts off by talking about the danger of CEOs voicing there politics as individuals and as company representatives and the damage that can do to the business. I never heard him say "If you agree with Trump..." like the headline said.

He does say he's "horrified" by what's coming out of this administration, etc. He's asked about being on a council for the White House and during his response says "there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what's been said the last couple of days, and if they are, quite frankly don't shop at my business."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Marcus knows his customer base.

He's also responded on Twitter: https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis?lang=en

I don't agree with everything he said. Honestly, there is a time for violence and I think the motive for violence matters (self defense is violence, folks, but it's an appropriate use of it). I do however respect him and what he's accomplished, and don't see the need for a witch hunt over his off the cuff remark, particularly given the context in which it was said.

At 1:33 into the video;
    "There's no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, don't shop at my business,"
    It is in there. He set the scene to allow himself to be hoisted by his own petard.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    At 1:33 into the video;
    "There's no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, don't shop at my business,"
    It is in there. He set the scene to allow himself to be hoisted by his own petard.

Just a "what if" type of thought: What if he was implying that the people who agree with Trump don't shop at his business, not a directive not to shop. insert one missed word and the whole meaning changes "There's no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, (THEY) don't shop at my business,". After all I would be willing to bet that his target is not the self reliant gun owners who would be willing to pay elevated prices for things they could make or buy elsewhere, but the young one stop shoppers who are looking for the "Cool" brand names to appear outdoorsy. Personally I never specifically went to any of his stores unless I was killing time and they happened to be very close by to where I was. He didn't get to where he is by being out of touch with everyone, just those who haven't had to pinch pennies or didn't care about being in the "In" crowd.

Just a thought.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Just a "what if" type of thought: What if he was implying that the people who agree with Trump don't shop at his business, not a directive not to shop. insert one missed word and the whole meaning changes "There's no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, (THEY) don't shop at my business,". After all I would be willing to bet that his target is not the self reliant gun owners who would be willing to pay elevated prices for things they could make or buy elsewhere, but the young one stop shoppers who are looking for the "Cool" brand names to appear outdoorsy. Personally I never specifically went to any of his stores unless I was killing time and they happened to be very close by to where I was. He didn't get to where he is by being out of touch with everyone, just those who haven't had to pinch pennies or didn't care about being in the "In" crowd.

Just a thought.
    To reach your conclusion you'd have to take his comment out of context and insert new words. If you listen to the audio posted you'll see he was clear in what he said and intended.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    He didn't get to where he is by being out of touch with everyone, just those who haven't had to pinch pennies or didn't care about being in the "In" crowd.

Just a thought.
    Um, he got to where he was (is) thanks to being adopted by very rich people including his grandfather who owned 2 of the largest Chevy dealerships in the country and they were friends with Lee Iacocca. He also ran for office in Florida as a Democrat. He doesn't care for gun owners, Republicans, or anyone remotely associated with such. He wants to be more than he is and if he runs Camping World in the ground so what he's got plenty of money to keep him going. His goals align more politician than businessman.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Um, he got to where he was (is) thanks to being adopted by very rich people including his grandfather who owned 2 of the largest Chevy dealerships in the country and they were friends with Lee Iacocca. He also ran for office in Florida as a Democrat. He doesn't care for gun owners, Republicans, or anyone remotely associated with such. He wants to be more than he is and if he runs Camping World in the ground so what he's got plenty of money to keep him going. His goals align more politician than businessman.
    I wonder if he is trying to drive the stock prices down to buy it all up at a cheap price?Ford did it when he put Edsel in charge.Ford bought it all.

Top Bottom