• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I thought "not guilty" was different then nullification.

Nullification is when a jury has what it needs to convict but does not either because they have a basic issue with the law in question or the way it's being applied by the prosecution. It's a pretty major FU to the state/feds when it happens.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My faith in the fundamental soundness of our system is re-affirmed.

(And yes, I'd say that if the result were a hung jury or a conviction.) ;)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well if that isn't a convenient viewpoint! The system is always right :ugh:

Ouch. :)

The process is sound. It doesn't always reach an objectively righteous result, particularly if you measure "right" based on actual guilt or innocence. Rather, the process works.

The process allows for this result: someone factually guilty, but shouldn't be found legally guilty for other reasons.

This is a powerful tool. And with great power, comes great responsibility. In other contexts, people have been "let off" for reasons that are not appropriate, even if we conclude that this person was "let off" for righteous reasons.

Regardless, the system is sound. It reaches a just result far more often than it doesn't.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

The process is sound. It doesn't always reach an objectively righteous result, particularly if you measure "right" based on actual guilt or innocence. Rather, the process works.

The process allows for this result: someone factually guilty, but shouldn't be found legally guilty for other reasons.

This is a powerful tool. And with great power, comes great responsibility. In other contexts, people have been "let off" for reasons that are not appropriate, even if we conclude that this person was "let off" for righteous reasons.

Regardless, the system is sound. It reaches a just result far more often than it doesn't.

Ah, now your expanded explanation is something I can happily agree with. :)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    bundy-ranch-cowboys.jpg

IBTMFP

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Maybe they weren't actually guilty?
    The government IN THIS CASE was tyrants and got what they earned in my opinion. I wasn't there but I may know someone who was

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Next time maybe the government will change the venue to chicago, they can probably buy the result they want there.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Maybe they weren't actually guilty?
    The government IN THIS CASE was tyrants and got what they earned in my opinion. I wasn't there but I may know someone who was

Even more, that would support the proposition that the system is sound. :D

Top Bottom