• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    As a Civil War reenactor for the past 15 years, and in contact with many other reenactors (both personally and on forums), an undercurrent of astonishment mixed with concern is rippling through the community. The educators and historians are worried about overreactions by misunderstanding visitors and professional grievance mongers damaging the relaying of history that is often entirely missing in most educational settings. The powder-burners are not much concerned. Some are of the opinion that if you want to confront people armed with bayonets, you earn the prize you get.

I know quite a few folks that galvanize when necessary (portray/interpret the side opposite of their usual). They do a respectable job and are usually respectable people. I personally have never been able to bring myself to do Confederate, because I am uncomfortable defending that position to the public. But someone has to do it, and I know some that are flexible and knowledgeable enough to do what I can't - especially an interpreter of Jefferson Davis, who is getting well-known for his accurate portrayal and spirited debates with Lincolns at various events.

There is genuine concern in the community, ranging from chasing away younger recruits to confrontations at events to outright cancellations (which are already happening).

Opinions from all INGO, not just reenactors, are welcome. What say you?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Do what you can to promote and preserve our shared history, warts and all.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is history. It happened.

I don't want state-funded Confederate monuments (unlikely here I know), but if people want to exercise their First Amendment right to associate, no problems.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Stay strong and schedule more events now more than ever. Post up go fund me accounts for donations from the public to help with the cost. People will be sympathetic to your cause. More people are sympathetic to keeping history alive and the statues than the lunatics tearing them down.

Post up any events so ingo members can attend

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I attended a moving reenactment of a WWII tank Battle on the 4th of July 1990 at Fort Knox.....imagine the swastika phobia now.

Keep it up and educate.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    1990? Weren't you running behind a tank at this time?

Yes, an M60 or an M1 depending on the day...

....and that's why I was at Fort Knox to begin with.

Anywho, I thought the Jerries used the Balkan Cross on tanks then?

Yes, but there was also infantry and the flying of flags so if you can't tell I Sherman from a Tiger (yes, I know, I know) you still know what side is what.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would imagine that these types of events are privately organized, antifa people could be asked to leave.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There will be even more misunderstanding if those events stop to exist.

You can't really teach about history and war if only one side is represented.
    You wouldn't watch a war movie where there is no actor playing the "bad guys".

You are lucky enough to have more freedom than other reenactors in other coutries.
    That's also something to keep in mind.

We have some awesome WW2 reeactements over here in France, especially in Normandy.

REU-DDAY-ANNIVERSARY-3.jpg

If you go to any of those events you will see that there's one thing missing ... no German soldiers anywhere.
    Only US, British, Canadian, French ... people in civilian clothes from the 1940's ... but no German soldiers in uniforms, no Nazi flags.

The only reason being that it's illegal to display a nazi flag, or wear uniform worn by the German military between 1933 and 1945.

You will be arrested if you dress like that in public over here ...

KBoow9x.jpg

I assume people need some kind of special authorization to wear German WW2 uniforms on a movie set.

Don't give up your freedom away just because some idiots might not understand what you're doing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would imagine that these types of events are privately organized, antifa people could be asked to leave.

You really think that if they become a problem issue they are simply going to say, "Yes, sir" and leave?

Opinions from all INGO, not just reenactors, are welcome. What say you?

I am going to recommend continuing as you have been, reaffirm the stupid prizes won in stupid games with better armed men, and say that if an Asian dude got taken off the air for being named Robert Lee, it is a foregone conclusion that some idiots are going to be ready to re-fight the Confederacy with reinactors standing as proxies for their mental image of evil.

It is history. It happened.

I don't want state-funded Confederate monuments (unlikely here I know), but if people want to exercise their First Amendment right to associate, no problems.

I would consider it important to share with us how you are defining 'state-funded'. For example, in Charolottesville, we are looking a land and statues donated to the city by a private benefactor with there being little 'state funding' for the statues other than washing off the bird s**t once in a while. That is a lot different than the .gov starting with bare ground bought with tax money and building from there.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I listened to some pious snowflake on the "Progressive" radio channel lamenting the horrible civil war enactmenters. Her objection was that it was a terrible reminder of our past and led to further encouragement of "white supremacy" - whatever that actually is. Was interesting to hear her AND the callers rail on and on about the injustice of it all.

The talk show host was at least 25 years old - certainly plenty of time in her short life to have experienced so much injustice and prejudice - I suspect at the college protests she attended.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    There will be even more misunderstanding if those events stop to exist.

You can't really teach about history and war if only one side is represented.
    You wouldn't watch a war movie where there is no actor playing the "bad guys".

You are lucky enough to have more freedom than other reenactors in other coutries.
    That's also something to keep in mind.

We have some awesome WW2 reeactements over here in France, especially in Normandy.

REU-DDAY-ANNIVERSARY-3.jpg

If you go to any of those events you will see that there's one thing missing ... no German soldiers anywhere.
    Only US, British, Canadian, French ... people in civilian clothes from the 1940's ... but no German soldiers in uniforms, no Nazi flags.

The only reason being that it's illegal to display a nazi flag, or wear uniform worn by the German military between 1933 and 1945.

You will be arrested if you dress like that in public over here ...

KBoow9x.jpg

I assume people need some kind of special authorization to wear German WW2 uniforms on a movie set.

Don't give up your freedom away just because some idiots might not understand what you're doing.

Agree 100%! As others have said across many forums on this issue. Those that forget, erase, ban, etc. History are doomed to repeat it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    People protest stupid things for stupid reasons all the time...I choose to ignore them.

If they attempt to infringe on your rights they should be strenuously opposed. If they attack a group of folks with fixed bayonets with signs and plastic shields they deserve the prizes that they will win.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Back in the 1990's we had some AIM (American Indian Movement) folks approach some of the native reenactors at one of our events and began lecturing them on their portrayal of Natives...I remember our Natives giving them a good history lesson and everyone was civil to each other....The native you see in this pic, the late (RIP my Brother) White Turtle (I am wearing breeches Kirk so I am maintaining our agreement of pics with me in a breech cloth) called them "Pow Wow Indians who think victim hood trumps history"...

lo11.jpg

The Native reeanctors I ran with were among the best in the region....If you have watched History Channel you have seen them...What bothered the most is they (AIM) were of Eastern Tribes and yet camped in tipis like plains Indians and hung Dream catchers up....Eastern Indians did no such thing....

DSC05259.JPG

I was going to pm you about this Spencer....You boys in blue are going to look kind of silly marching against an empty field....I am so angry over this....You know this but others may not...Many Civil war reenactors wear BOTH uniforms....They have a persona for both sides so if needed to fill out the others ranks to make for a more authentic scene for the public....I thought this meme captured it quite well....My heart goes out to you Spence...You and your fellow living historians...

1uedkj.jpg

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I was just at the largest WWII re-enactment in the US (D-Day Conneaut Ohio), and there was discussion as to whether Antifa or other protesters might show up since many re-enactors were dressed as "Nazi's". In fact, at WWII re-enactments people who portray German soldiers are KICKED OUT if they express ANY "Nazi" viewpoints, or if they use the "Nazi salute", or they fly the Swastika flag. We are there to EDUCATE, not promote hate.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have no intention of retreating, and would hate to see our hobby degenerate into a one-sided farbfest. Our community must begin preparing our response now. Though no plan survives contact with the enemy, failing to plan is planning to fail. (Insert additional cliches here)

We need to confront emotionalism, historical inaccuracy and revisionism as a TEAM. I will try to be there to introduce historical fact and contemporary ways of thinking, no matter in which camp the opportunity takes place, and I will not be alone. After all, doing Navy, I'm used to being misunderstood and dealing patiently with ignorance.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    After all, doing Navy, I'm used to being misunderstood and dealing patiently with ignorance.

"And when they ask me
    which one I love the best
    I tear open my tunic
    and show them the Merrimack
    on my chest"

"Cause I'm Union Navy, I'm Yankee Navy
    I cruise around, around, around, around.."

With homage to "The Wanderer" and Dion.....

[video=youtube;Q9J8P6WfS7w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9J8P6WfS7w[/video]

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You really think that if they become a problem issue they are simply going to say, "Yes, sir" and leave?

I am going to recommend continuing as you have been, reaffirm the stupid prizes won in stupid games with better armed men, and say that if an Asian dude got taken off the air for being named Robert Lee, it is a foregone conclusion that some idiots are going to be ready to re-fight the Confederacy with reinactors standing as proxies for their mental image of evil.

I would consider it important to share with us how you are defining 'state-funded'. For example, in Charolottesville, we are looking a land and statues donated to the city by a private benefactor with there being little 'state funding' for the statues other than washing off the bird s**t once in a while. That is a lot different than the .gov starting with bare ground bought with tax money and building from there.

True, but it's my nature to be polite and reasonable first.;)

Top Bottom