• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Like the title says, I am wondering about National Anthem protocol. Specifically, if I am at home and it is played at the beginning of a sports contest, what is the proper action? Do I stand and put my hand over my heart or what? Same question for any venue where I may be near a TV and the anthem is played.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't know the protocol but I stand with my hand over my heart no matter where I am. Interested in what it is.

Do you really do that? Not trying to say you're not being honest, just that maybe you weren't clear on the question Frank asked. If I'm at a sporting venue, then obviously I stand up, take off my hat. Hand over the heart, maybe/maybe not. But I don't think I've ever stood up, and put my hand over my hear when the national anthem was played on television. Remember when tv used to go off after Carson, and they played the national anthem before putting up the color bars? Did people actually stand up for that? It just seems ridiculous.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you really do that? Not trying to say you're not being honest, just that maybe you weren't clear on the question Frank asked. If I'm at a sporting venue, then obviously I stand up, take off my hat. Hand over the heart, maybe/maybe not. But I don't think I've ever stood up, and put my hand over my hear when the national anthem was played on television. Remember when tv used to go off after Carson, and they played the national anthem before putting up the color bars? Did people actually stand up for that? It just seems ridiculous.

I can see how it would be an issue if you pull someone over and the guy plays the national anthem on the radio, on a endless loop.:):

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Fair enough. That's devotion.

Nah..
    He is just crazy.

But the real reason i suspect is because
    1. He is a boy scout. Once a scout always a scout.
    2. He is a boy scout dad
    3. His parents taught him respect and manners

Back to the topic it all comes down to manners amd respect.
    Juat like roman catholics make the sign of the cross when they enter church and when they cross the alter at church even though they already did the sign of the cross when they entered or when they see the pope be it on tv or in person.

Its about manners and respect and what people hold dear to them.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Do you really do that? Not trying to say you're not being honest, just that maybe you weren't clear on the question Frank asked. If I'm at a sporting venue, then obviously I stand up, takeuSA off my hat. Hand over the heart, maybe/maybe not. But I don't think I've ever stood up, and put my hand over my hear when the national anthem was played on television. Remember when tv used to go off after Carson, and they played the national anthem before putting up the color bars? Did people actually stand up for that? It just seems ridiculous.

Yes I do. I find it very trouble some that you would question it without knowing me. I'm very thankful to live in the USA.

Knowing lone personally yes he most likely does stand at attention even when the anthem is played on tv and he is in the room.

Nah..
    He is just crazy.

But the real reason i suspect is because
    1. He is a boy scout. Once a scout always a scout.
    2. He is a boy scout dad
    3. His parents taught him respect and manners

Thank you sir!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Personal preference:

In person at professional games: stand look towards flag (or the planes if present) remove hat (52 and full head of hair)
    not always a factor. No hand on heart expensive beer is most likely in it. At high school or local sports like softball remove hat look at flag place hand over heart as we are dealing with youth who need to see this done. Plus many of the local ball parks for softball are run by veterans (Oaklandon youth organization) in a park dedicated to Korean War vets.

Pro at home nothing. Listen maybe check out the eye candy smoke show singing if it is warranted.

I look at it like free speech if you want to kneel or raise a fist that is your choice. I may not like that you do it but understand your right to do so. That said my kids will be standing until they are 18 or 21 cause if you are living in my house my rules apply.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Something I learned at a young age is always show respect for the flag, our country & God. I remember seeing my Uncles, more than once, turn around and beat the hell out of people for being rude during the National Anthem. I never questioned them...they fought hard for this country, left friends behind, ruined their lives defending others. They took more to the grave than most of these wussies now days have ever seen. I doubt if I ever watch NFL games again. Screw them bunch of overpaid POS!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes I do. I find it very trouble some that you would question it without knowing me. I'm very thankful to live in the USA.

Don't. Firstly, because you're crazy, and second because the vast majority of people don't have that level of commitment.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    In the military it was, salute in uniform, stand at position of attention when in civilian clothes, stop vehicle on base...and run like hell to get indoors when the 5 minute warning goes off.

I love this country, fought for it, and respect it. But go to any military base and you will see sailors, soldiers, marines, and airmen, activity avoiding having to stand there for colors.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In the military it was, salute in uniform, stand at position of attention when in civilian clothes, stop vehicle on base...and run like hell to get indoors when the 5 minute warning goes off.

I love this country, fought for it, and respect it. But go to any military base and you will see sailors, soldiers, marines, and airmen, activity avoiding having to stand there for colors.

I'm lol'ing because this is true.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Section 301(b)(1) of title 36, United States Code, is amended by
    striking subparagraphs (A) through (C) and inserting the following new
    subparagraphs:
    ``(A) individuals in uniform should give the
    military salute at the first note of the anthem and
    maintain that position until the last note;
    ``(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who
    are present but not in uniform may render the military
    salute in the manner provided for individuals in
    uniform; and
    ``(C) all other persons present should face the flag
    and stand at attention with their right hand over the
    heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should
    remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it
    at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart
    Note: Part (C) applies to those not in the military and non-veterans. The phrase "men not in uniform" refers to civil service uniforms like police, fire fighters, and letter carriers - non-veteran civil servants who might normally render a salute while in uniform.

As far standing in your home ?

I do know that in the U.K. When in a pub everyone stands up !

For non veteran members of INGO on post there is a five minute warning in the evening before the flag is retired for the evening. Retreat and To the colors are played. If outside or driving you stop and render honors. You can be given a ticket for not doing so.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom