A Canadian's view on why Americans NEED guns!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nakatomi

Tactically Cool
    Rating - 98.7%
    76   1   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Saw this on the net, and honestly, I never though about it this way. Enjoy a Canadians view on why American gun ownership saves the planet, lol!

------------------
    Hey lads,

Indulge me for a minute, but with all the out of control shilling on here lately I've been giving this whole "gun control" narrative a lot of thought. Normies on Facebook love to compare Australia or Canada's gun laws to America and suggest that something along similar lines would be a good idea for the United States. My conclusion on all of this? Gun control works for Australia and Canada because our government and military are WEAK and we are in no danger of succumbing to a tyranny. America has the MOST powerful army in the history of the world. Name one other time in the history of the world that the state with the most powerful military was actually a relatively benevolent force in the world and not a tyranny bent on expansion and conquest. America is a relatively benevolent force in the world SOLELY because the government fears its populace. Look at other great military states in history: nearly all, from the Assyrians all the way down to the Soviets, have been absolute tyrannies. The only thing keeping America's government behaving is the fact that there are 300 million weapons in the hands of peasants ensuring that they maintain their good behaviour; think of it like a sword of Damocles that keeps the ruling class from indulging their worst totalitarian tendencies. It is only due to the sheer power of the military industrial complex that I think it is absolutely necessary, for the security and freedom of the ENTIRE PLANET, that Americans KEEP THEIR GUNS. We are free in our safe little bubbles and we spend almost nothing on defense because law abiding armed citizens in America are keeping the most powerful army in the history of the world under wraps.

TL:DR: BURGERS, KEEP YOUR GUNS. THE FREEDOM OF THE ENTIRE PLANET HINGES ON THIS.

thank you for your time.

t. Concerned Leaf.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't mind his line of thinking there but I also don't agree with it. The US Military is not interested in becoming part of a tyrannical government because it is made up of citizens from every corner of this country, every race, every religion, every color and every culture, not because it feels outgunned. (The thought that the citizens of this country could put up anything but a smoldering guerilla resistance to our military is laughable.) I spent six years in the US Army and cannot fathom Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen or Marines participating in any attack on the citizens they're sworn to protect without those citizens posing a very clear and present threat to the country.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    A volunteer force can be manipulated as to who is allowed to volunteer. I'll bet the Germans thought their army would never be used against their citizens either. Hopefully there would be enough dissent in the ranks and defections with weapons systems that your smoldering resistance could burst into flame. Supply chain is what would defeat the military. Beans and bullets win wars. That and battlefield Intel.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Amazing. I guess if our young men and women are so easily turned against their own there is something wrong with the parenting.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't mind his line of thinking there but I also don't agree with it. The US Military is not interested in becoming part of a tyrannical government because it is made up of citizens from every corner of this country, every race, every religion, every color and every culture, not because it feels outgunned. (The thought that the citizens of this country could put up anything but a smoldering guerilla resistance to our military is laughable.) I spent six years in the US Army and cannot fathom Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen or Marines participating in any attack on the citizens they're sworn to protect without those citizens posing a very clear and present threat to the country.

Yeah, I am pretty confident the military ain't really worried about a citizen uprising. Our melting pot, is our best defense.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A volunteer force can be manipulated as to who is allowed to volunteer. I'll bet the Germans thought their army would never be used against their citizens either. Hopefully there would be enough dissent in the ranks and defections with weapons systems that your smoldering resistance could burst into flame. Supply chain is what would defeat the military. Beans and bullets win wars. That and battlefield Intel.

I wouldn't take that bet. Germany has endured quite a bit of civil strife prior to the rise of the Nazis, and has changed govts fairly frequently.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I'm not sure I'd say this is the thing. As Kut pointed out, what it came to be came to be for complicated reasons.

But. I would rather argue it in terms of not underestimating a determined leadership to figure out a way to get people to see others as less than human. How did Hitler get people to go along with him? How did he get people to treat Jews so badly? Do you think you don't have it in you to do that? I'd like to think I don't. But all it takes is some social engineering to help people think other people are less than humans. Once you do that, leaders can get some people to do some pretty heinous things. Hitler did.

I wouldn't take for granted that a determined charismatic, tyrannical leader, could not achieve the same thing. Today, probably not. But today's kids will raise tomorrow's kids. That may be a different thing altogether. But I imagine by that time, if they're that bad, tyranny will be cheered into existence with thundering applause.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I guess the idea of a military turning on an unarmed civilian population seems unlikely for most people younger than me, but I went to high school with one of the two males murdered at Kent State by a group of uniformed citizens with large rifles.

While I find it hardly likely that our great military could be used against we the people, Kent State is burned in my mind forever.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ...alternately, it's because we have a culture that values having an uninterrupted history of peaceful transfers of power and the ballot box has replaced bullets with how we change things in gov't.

Simply having guns doesn't prevent tyrants. Iraqis could, and did, own firearms during the Saddam tyranny. The majority of households had weapons, they had gun stores, etc.

THREATS AND RESPONSES: IRAQ; Sandbags Already on Streets, Baghdad Is a City in Waiting - The New York Times

One gauge of that fear is the trade at gun shops. Most Iraqi households own at least one gun, so there has been no particular run on armaments. But some gun shop owners report as much as a 50 percent jump in ammunition sales.
    ''I came in to buy a hunting gun, but I'm also thinking about how to protect my house and the neighborhood streets,'' said Yasser Abu Bilal, looking at a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun at the Trigger gun shop in the upscale Mansour neighborhood.

Yet...tyranny.

Guns may be some part of the equation, but culture and respect for rule of law matters more.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    ...alternately, it's because we have a culture that values having an uninterrupted history of peaceful transfers of power and the ballot box has replaced bullets with how we change things in gov't.

Simply having guns doesn't prevent tyrants. Iraqis could, and did, own firearms during the Saddam tyranny. The majority of households had weapons, they had gun stores, etc.

THREATS AND RESPONSES: IRAQ; Sandbags Already on Streets, Baghdad Is a City in Waiting - The New York Times

Yet...tyranny.

Guns may be some part of the equation, but culture and respect for rule of law matters more.
    Good perspective.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Yet...tyranny.

I heard it said a few times during the fist parts of the Iraq war, that we can’t fight for their freedom. They have to want it enough themselves.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I heard it said a few times during the fist parts of the Iraq war, that we can’t fight for their freedom. They have to want it enough themselves.

I've said that repeatedly. It's common sense. Nobody respects things given to them. But they do respect things they had to work for themselves.

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    I wouldn't take for granted that a determined charismatic, tyrannical leader, could not achieve the same thing. Today, probably not. But today's kids will raise tomorrow's kids. That may be a different thing altogether. But I imagine by that time, if they're that bad, tyranny will be cheered into existence with thundering applause.

This is how it starts.

[video=youtube;PJFC1qFCgyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJFC1qFCgyA[/video]

Top Bottom