Could this signal the end of the "war on drugs"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Drugs are bad.
    Drugs are illegal.
    Here's a nice place you can use your bad, illegal drugs.

Seems to me, that they're sending a mixed message.

Who is going to fund this idea?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, I know...

According to the article, the prosecutor won't charge people using drugs at the "safe site". I wonder if that will make it harder to prosecute other drug charges?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    On one hand, I can see how minimizing the social impact of spreading disease can be good. Spend a couple of bucks for govt opium dens, save beaucoup bucks on the costs of ER visits and firefighters on narcan runs and hepatitis medicine....

On the other hand, there's a serious stigma attached to an opium den in your home town.

It's a bit of a mixed message, but I can't see how having this make heroin attractive. But then again, I don't fit the profile of a junkie, so I can't say for sure.

Maybe a poll, "On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being negative influence, 3 being no influence, and 5 be positively influence; Does having a government run opium den make using heroin more attractive to you?"

Last thought:

Well, it does round up all the druggies into one spot so they can hear about Jesus...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The various divisions of the legal branch of Drugs Inc. compete for funds, here you see the assistance division claiming that they can do a better job by helping the drug users than the incarceration division can do enforcing the law. I think though that the usual result will be that all three divisions, assistance, management, and incarceration will get more tax money. It's a successful business model, the big losers are the addicts and next are the taxpayers.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I'm reminded of the show "The Wire" when the cops setup an area for the dealers to sell their product (They called it Hamsterdam). In the end it wasn't a good idea for the dealers or the cops.

Top Bottom