Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 310 of 579 FirstFirst ... 210 260 300 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 320 360 410 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,100 of 5788

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    To accept people the way they are... why yes, yes indeed.
    So it is OK when you generalize to put down other people for generalizing, interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nonobaddog View Post
    So it is OK when you generalize to put down other people for generalizing, interesting.
    You really don't understand what I'm saying, do you?
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

And, I think there's a generational thing in the US that amounts to more than just the human-nature default to generalize people. That's actually a defense of him. Trump is at the tail end of a generation in which racial attributes were more observational than emotional. Some of my most dear family members are part of that generation, too. That's just the way they were raised.
    You really don't understand what I'm saying, do you?
    Ah, the old "you don't understand" ploy. You are probably right. Tell me more about this "generational thing in the US that amounts to more than just the human-nature default to generalize people". I always like to learn more about my generation.

User Info Menu

Ah, the old "you don't understand" ploy. You are probably right. Tell me more about this "generational thing in the US that amounts to more than just the human-nature default to generalize people". I always like to learn more about my generation.
    Have you ever referred to a black person as "negro" because that is the "polite" term?

User Info Menu

Have you ever referred to a black person as "negro" because that is the "polite" term?
    I have seen the preferred term discussed and changed several times over the years. What is that supposed to tell me?

Expert

User Info Menu

...that we have been, are and always will be wrong...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

User Info Menu

I have seen the preferred term discussed and changed several times over the years. What is that supposed to tell me?
    That you didn't answer the question.

Again, I'm absolutely NOT judging the people of a certain age who have used that term. Indeed, before a certain time in our country (that timing probably depends on what part of the country), that WAS the polite term.

But, that's a useful barometer of what generation you are.

This isn't playing "gotcha." Not everyone who used/uses that word deserves to be in the same category as the neo-nazi/white supremacists who use that word.

User Info Menu

Well, at least for me, acceptance of that word depends on the age of the person saying it. While generally it's considered, today, to be offensive, the younger you are, the less acceptable it is. Older people 70+, of a certain generation, get a pass, because while still offensive, their intent is to be polite (mostly). The same applies to "colored."
    I Have the Worst Crew Ever

User Info Menu

I've seen my Grandma use the term as one of politeness and respect, but she was born in 1909 and died in 2001.

What are we talking about here?
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    I've seen my Grandma use the term as one of politeness and respect, but she was born in 1909 and died in 2001.

What are we talking about here?
    I'll somewhat defer to Kut on this, but I think that 70+ age is about right. Trump is 72 (after a quick google search).

I would even give the benefit of the doubt to people a bit younger than that who come from certain backgrounds.

That 90+ crowd gets a free pass from me on all sorts of things.