• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm kind of surprised that this hasn't been discussed yet. I searched but could not find anything more recent than about 9 months ago. This is a VERY un-conservative move, INCREASING the Federal deficit rather than reducing it. Seems to be making a lot of waves in Party circles. Is this NOT the very same issue that the Republicans hammered the Democrats on just a couple of years ago?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The thread title is misleading. Presidents don’t have a budget - that’s up to Congress to pass. Yes, he did sign it and, therefore, I guess he will own it but that just gives Congress a pass. And with that being said the budget that was just passed SUCKS ! I think the Republicans caved in again. Republicans control both houses and the presidency and they still pass can’t pass legislation that adheres to the delegated powers of the Constitution. What a shame.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I go back to my opinion during the campaign: Trump is a real estate guru. Those guys use debt to make money. There was no way he was going to reduce the debt. It isn't in his nature.

Here's to the hope that he uses the additional debt to make enough money (for the US) to eventually pay down the debt.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I go back to my opinion during the campaign: Trump is a real estate guru. Those guys use debt to make money. There was no way he was going to reduce the debt. It isn't in his nature.

Well, that makes perfect sense given who Trump is.

Here's to the hope that he uses the additional debt to make enough money (for the US) to eventually pay down the debt.

Under Clinton, economic growth allowed for revenue increases that led to budget surpluses, but all that did keep the deficit from growing larger...temporarily. the feds, and vitually every state, county and municipality used the windfall to buy more stuff, build more stuff, give raises and increase pensions (which are a cost that has long outlived the surpluses). If economic growth does the same again, I see no realistic reason why the same thing won't happen again. It's all about cash flow, not red or black in the ledger. In this regard, Trump seems no different from Clinton, W, or Obama.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The thread title is misleading. Presidents don’t have a budget - that’s up to Congress to pass. Yes, he did sign it and, therefore, I guess he will own it but that just gives Congress a pass. And with that being said the budget that was just passed SUCKS ! I think the Republicans caved in again. Republicans control both houses and the presidency and they still pass can’t pass legislation that adheres to the delegated powers of the Constitution. What a shame.
    Was this not his proposal?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Well, that makes perfect sense given who Trump is.

Under Clinton, economic growth allowed for revenue increases that led to budget surpluses, but all that did keep the deficit from growing larger...temporarily. the feds, and vitually every state, county and municipality used the windfall to buy more stuff, build more stuff, give raises and increase pensions (which are a cost that has long outlived the surpluses). If economic growth does the same again, I see no realistic reason why the same thing won't happen again. It's all about cash flow, not red or black in the ledger. In this regard, Trump seems no different from Clinton, W, or Obama.
    Clinton years saw about a 4% growth. We are currently around 2.3%. You think we will get there again? https://www.thebalance.com/top-economic-predictions-for-the-next-10-years-3305699

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Republicans "caved"? :laugh:

Sorry, but this lot of Republicans are not fiscally conservative. They just spend our money on different things than the Democrats. Looks like this budget scratches EVERYONE'S itch. No compromise needed when everyone get's a piece of cake.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Is it possible he had to go along with this budget in order to properly fund the military? I understand a past audit of the military was a disaster, but that does not mean we don't need a strong military, it means we need better watchdogs.

Regarding infrastructure, the proof will be in the pudding. When Obama did it, it was viewed as payback to unions. Obama has no business sense, I believe Trump does. Time will tell.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    When every dollar, in existence is borrowed at interest how is it possible to pay off the debt?

If you can turn around and make more money than you pay in interest.

In real estate, it is a matter of appreciation. You borrow at 5% interest to buy/develop a property that will appreciate 10% before you have to pay off the loan. You make 5%. (Obviously, this is an overly simplified example.)

For .gov, if you borrow money to build infrastructure which results in higher land values, which results in higher real estate taxes, then you get more money than you have to pay in interest. Hopefully. (Again, that's an overly simplified example.) On the income tax side, it is more of a gamble because the expectation is that people will do things to make themselves even more money and pay more in income taxes.

Either way, there is a lag.

Presidents (and Congresses) can do little to actually influence these things IMHO. GHWB got slammed for things beyond his control while Clinton benefited.

Another nevertrump thread???

No, but do you want it to be? :D

How can a thread about Trump getting a budget that is basically what he wanted something that is anti-Trump?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Another nevertrump thread???

Is this the current state of Conservatives (scratch that.... Republicans)? Such unflinching loyalty, that many have just abandoned the tenets of conservatism and pledged themselves to protecting Trump.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is this the current state if Conservatives? Such unflinching loyalty, that many have just abandoned the tenets of conservatism and pledged themselves to protecting Trump.

Wait.

Can you change that to "Republicans" instead of "Conservatives"?

The 2 are not the same. ;)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's interesting to hear all the leftists complain about the budget and rue the uncontrolled spending. I suppose it just doesn't have enough "shovel ready projects".

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wait.

Can you change that to "Republicans" instead of "Conservatives"?

The 2 are not the same. ;)

True.

From time to time, Trump does things or champions causes that are conservative. This budget is not one of them.

Not every criticism of Trump is "nevertrump". He's the President. He gets to own what he does and if it isn't a good idea, that's not "nevertrump" that's just life.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    True.

From time to time, Trump does things or champions causes that are conservative. This budget is not one of them.

Not every criticism of Trump is "nevertrump". He's the President. He gets to own what he does and if it isn't a good idea, that's not "nevertrump" that's just life.

Nothing he ever does is neat and clean. No matter what policy is pursued and how close he might come to the mark I know I will have to hold my nose to some degree.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Nothing he ever does is neat and clean. No matter what policy is pursued and how close he might come to the mark I know I will have to hold my nose to some degree.

Surely, this goes beyond simply holding your nose. The Tea Party marched on Washington over Obama spending. Where are they now?

Top Bottom