Is anyone else a second amendment absolutist?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think most gun laws should be scrapped, but am not a 2nd Amendment "absolutist." ...just like I'm not a First Amendment absolutist. There are limits to everything.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Would you oppose a law that prevented a homeowner from discharging a firearm outside (we'll say it's an outdoor range), say from 8pm-5am, in a residential neighborhood? If you would, you're not an absolutist.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    Would you oppose a law that prevented a homeowner from discharging a firearm outside (we'll say it's an outdoor range), say from 8pm-5am, in a residential neighborhood? If you would, you're not an absolutist.

I think the OP left 0.1% wiggle room for just such examples...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I think the OP left 0.1% wiggle room for just such examples...

The noise ordinance violation is example irrelevant anyway. The 2nd Amendment is about the right to keep and bear arms to protect against tyranny, not the the right to shoot them anytime, anywhere.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The noise ordinance violation is example irrelevant anyway. The 2nd Amendment is about the right to keep and bear arms to protect against tyranny, not the the right to shoot them anytime, anywhere.

Perhaps I misunderstood the "what part of 'shall not be infringed' don't you not understand" notion, that I see so often.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Perhaps I misunderstood the "what part of 'shall not be infringed' don't you not understand" notion, that I see so often.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I'm not sure who has put forward the idea that the 2nd Amendment allows for unfettered gunshots anytime and anywhere.
    Are you arguing with yourself again?

:):

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I'm not sure who has put forward the idea that the 2nd Amendment allows for unfettered gunshots anytime and anywhere.
    Are you arguing with yourself again?

:):

So you wouldn't consider a ban on discharging a firearm, anytime, anywhere, a violation of the 2nd Amendment? Interesting. Problem solved. I'll forward that belief to my anti-gun friends and see if they can make hay out of it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yes. I am. However there is a difference between keeping and bearing, and using in irresponsible ways. That some people don't get that difference really bothers me at times. Taking their arguments to their logical conclusion would mean outlawing murder is a second amendment violation. And it's not. The 2nd Amendment says "keep and bear" not "keep, bear, and use in any way you choose".

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    So you wouldn't consider a ban on discharging a firearm, anytime, anywhere, a violation of the 2nd Amendment? Interesting. Problem solved. I'll forward that belief to my anti-gun friends and see if they can make hay out of it.

Color me surprised that you have anti-gun friends that you would give "ammunition" to for their arguments. :):

A ban on certain conduct with a firearm is not a 2nd Amendment violation, as long as the purpose for the ban of the conduct is reasonable. Obviously, banning the ordinary and defensive use of arms would be a violation, as it defeats the intended protection of the 2nd Amendment right. But this doesn't mean that "muh 2nd Amendment" is an argument against passing a law preventing Cletus from shooting holes in the town water tower.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County

So do you think that laws against committing murder with a gun is an infringement on Second Amendment rights?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So do you think that laws against committing murder with a gun is an infringement on Second Amendment rights?

No, because that is an infringement on someone else's rights. Absolutism of any right, is IMO naive. No right is absolute, and typically they weigh risks (not actual infringement) of other people's rights.

Top Bottom