• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I had to go to the Facebook edition of the Navy Times to see if the meme was true.
    It is.
    Some poor squid is probably being roasted by his shipmates because his mom decided to be a helicopter mom. And she doesn't know anything about his chain of command, and couldn't be bothered to look up information.

27973405_10214801482781667_2947743937445728264_n.jpg

Here is the link.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156199674752490&id=61924502489

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I had to go to the Facebook edition of the Navy Times to see if the meme was true.
    It is.
    Some poor squid is probably being roasted by his shipmates because his mom decided to be a helicopter mom. And she doesn't know anything about his chain of command, and couldn't be bothered to look up information.

27973405_10214801482781667_2947743937445728264_n.jpg

Here is the link.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156199674752490&id=61924502489

Somewhere, every Squid with that surname is saying, "IT'S NOT MY MOM!!" Holy Crap! Mad Dog only did 44 years in the Marines.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So with the flurry of comments on her ,shall we say, ill-advised response, she seeks to defend herself...and apparently either hasn’t read the article or doesn’t know what “non-deployable” means.

View attachment 64138

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So here's the thing - I'd love to make fun of her for not understanding Mattis' experience. That was stupid.

But, I also know guys who've had multiple deployments. That's just REALLY hard on a family. And yet, after those multiple deployments, those military members have a huge upside within the cadres when it comes to passing on what they've learned. There's a value to NOT deploying them.

Fundamentally, I can see her point when it comes to that situation.

If she's referring to the "I only joined for the GI Bill" types, that's different. No sympathy there. (Does that still happen? It was a thing back in the '90s with the first Desert Storm, but we've been in a state of permawar for 15+ years now. If someone's dumb enough to think they won't be deployed now, I'm not sure they should be in our military.)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So here's the thing - I'd love to make fun of her for not understanding Mattis' experience. That was stupid.

But, I also know guys who've had multiple deployments. That's just REALLY hard on a family. And yet, after those multiple deployments, those military members have a huge upside within the cadres when it comes to passing on what they've learned. There's a value to NOT deploying them.

If she's referring to the "I only joined for the GI Bill" types, that's different. No sympathy there. (Does that still happen? It was a thing back in the '90s with the first Desert Storm, but we've been in a state of permawar for 15+ years now. If someone's dumb enough to think they won't be deployed now, I'm not sure they should be in our military.)

People who are "not deployable" cause those that are deployable to be rotated into MORE deployments.
    Less billets available at "home".
    And a deployed unit needs a body.
    If there is no space at home for a body, then deploy him/her again.

And I'm pretty sure General Mattis has idea about his force levels, and what he needs.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Her ignorance runs deep. I wonder if she even read the article. Non-deployable, doesn’t mean the MOS is no deployable. It means due to injury, pregnancy, over weight, etc..you do not qualify to deploy. So basically if your not a ****bag you have nothing to worry about.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

This is the point of the policy- to spread the deployments around. People who have been chronically non-deployable have forced those who are ready to go to take extra tours. Either get in a position to deploy, or move on. "Deployable" does not mean "deployed". Sitting around with administrative, health, etc. reasons why you can't deploy and letting others do it, Mattis does not see as fair. If the reason you aren't deployable is a combat related health issues, these people are excepted.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I think those days were long over well before Maddis. If he did, kudos... but it is foolish to take such risks.

I’m a little confused by your statement. By definition I think leading any group, whether military or civilian, requires a leader to be in “front” of those being led. Using your premise it would seem military commanders are supposed to stand back and say “go get’em boys (and girls).

The opposite is true - especially in a combat situation. I’m not implying that the hierarchy in the chain of command need to assume a Patton mentality. But field level commanders should be at the “front.” In a Southeast Asia theatre I am familiar with infantry companies were led by the military rank of captain, or sometimes, major. However, it was not that uncommon to see a lieutenant or full bird colonel in the field being involved in an operation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I’m a little confused by your statement. By definition I think leading any group, whether military or civilian, requires a leader to be in “front” of those being led. Using your premise it would seem military commanders are supposed to stand back and say “go get’em boys (and girls).

The opposite is true - especially in a combat situation. I’m not implying that the hierarchy in the chain of command need to assume a Patton mentality. But field level commanders should be at the “front.” In a Southeast Asia theatre I am familiar with infantry companies were led by the military rank of captain, or sometimes, major. However, it was not that uncommon to see a lieutenant or full bird colonel in the field being involved in an operation.

I agree that for lower ranked COs leading from the front is a good thing... well kinda, tipping my hat to the NCOs. In this case I'm speaking specifically of Mattis. By the time he entered a war zone, he was a fair high ranked CO. I don't think it's smart at all to put your "brains" at the head of the calvary charge.
    Now if you're using "lead from the front" as a euphemism for "give competent direction," then I would agree and misunderstood your original post concerning.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So I was hanging out minding my own business in Kandahar drinking a Tim Hortons.
    ”Hey General Dunwoody wants to visit a COP insert name and you two are going to take HER”
    I replied you know we both have over 20 years SGM what if we said NO!
    ”I would shoot him in the leg and you center mass because you put him up to saying no”
    Fair enough!

Yes senior leaders do go out front it’s a “sphincter tighting experience” if you have to be with them.
    If any bad guys find out they will do anything to capture or kill them.
    Its more of a show of presence than true combat leadership.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    The comments on that thread are rough. Talking about certain sailors ensuring that they are pregnant right before deployment and then getting an abortion shortly thereafter...

Top Bottom