• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Saw on FOX this morning that 75% of 18-24 year old males are unfit for military service. Reasons are overweight, lack of education, or criminal history. THAT is sad. :(:(:(:(:(

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Saw on FOX this morning that 75% of 18-24 year old males are unfit for military service. Reasons are overweight, lack of education, or criminal history. THAT is sad. :(:(:(:(:(

When I was still in the trades one of my jobs was to train the new guys. They came to us from the apprenticeship program at the hall. 2nd and 3rd year. They would shotgun with me for evaluation and fine tunes the skill sets.

Out of 20 or so that I spent time with maybe 3 were decent enough and cared at all to stick it out with. To my knowledge they are all still in the trade. The rest were a total waste of time and effort. Nose in the phone. Mind on the latest gamer news. No real drive. Soft. Just soft.

This is what we are raising these days.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was still in the trades one of my jobs was to train the new guys. They came to us from the apprenticeship program at the hall. 2nd and 3rd year. They would shotgun with me for evaluation and fine tunes the skill sets.

Out of 20 or so that I spent time with maybe 3 were decent enough and cared at all to stick it out with. To my knowledge they are all still in the trade. The rest were a total waste of time and effort. Nose in the phone. Mind on the latest gamer news. No real drive. Soft. Just soft.

This is what we are raising these days.

And Disqualifying DUI's were all to common.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Reading this makes me proud of raising two self supporting members of society, now in their 30s.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You have to have a certain level of education to be on a 2 way range?

Yes.

Data Links, radios both secure and anti-jam, computers tied to data links, computer controlled fire systems, Joint communication platforms...even the Army is meshing into the overarching digital environment. Our military has no use for idiots unless you just want to watch people die.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Maybe fewer 18-24 year olds are joining the military. Thus the kids who are trying to join fit into this statistic.

This is absolutely the case. It isn't that we have a generation of dummies, per se. But a disproportionate number of smart and athletic kids have greater opportunities than the rest. We get some really great kids who want to serve their country. But we turn down a lot more fat slobs and dummies who don't have anywhere else to go. Most of the best and brightest don't feel the need to give up part of their youth in service to their country.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yes.

Data Links, radios both secure and anti-jam, computers tied to data links, computer controlled fire systems, Joint communication platforms...even the Army is meshing into the overarching digital environment. Our military has no use for idiots unless you just want to watch people die.

This is no joke. The Army and Marine Corps can bring more technology to bear inside a tent out in the woods than you would find in a corporate headquarters in Manhattan. And the people running all that gadgetry are barely out of high school. Those kids have to be highly trainable to achieve what they do.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I think it's worth remembering that the entry requirements are variable based on need. When any organization is not looking to expand, the minimum requirements to join go up. If the organization does need to expand, then the entry requirements ease.

Is there any reason to think that our military is trying to expand currently? I can't think of one.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Is there any reason to think that our military is trying to expand currently? I can't think of one.

End strength is set by congress in the NDAA, minimum entry qualifications are set by the job requirements. The AF is having serious pilot shortage issues...you can only lower the requirements so much before you start crashing planes. Planes are hugely expensive...even a pilot requires about $8M in training expense before he gets to an operational squadron.

Current NDAA says end strength is going to increase some for all the services...but it's a small percentage of overall manpower.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Regardless of MOS “job” you have to be able to read and write the ability to complete basic math ect.
    Once In retirement I am amazed at the people I encounter in the civilian world that lack basic skills.
    It takes an incredible amount of intelligence and flexibility to plan and execute a operation in training or real world.
    If you have ever witnessed a group of 17 to 21 old Americans work hard without sleep, food, in all weather conditions overcoming physical/mental pain it’s a sight to behold.
    During my time as a Drill Sergeant our attrition rate hovered around 20% due to injury and failure to meet the standards.
    This issue is on the mind of our senior leaders the youth of today has several challenges that the Army has never experienced.
    Bone density is lower in today’s youth which leads to injury’s that are not common to males like broken hips due to running or road marching.
    So the snowflakes are effecting the ability or the country to defend itself.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Regardless of MOS “job” you have to be able to read and write the ability to complete basic math ect.
    Once In retirement I am amazed at the people I encounter in the civilian world that lack basic skills.
    It takes an incredible amount of intelligence and flexibility to plan and execute a operation in training or real world.
    If you have ever witnessed a group of 17 to 21 old Americans work hard without sleep, food, in all weather conditions overcoming physical/mental pain it’s a sight to behold.
    During my time as a Drill Sergeant our attrition rate hovered around 20% due to injury and failure to meet the standards.
    This issue is on the mind of our senior leaders the youth of today has several challenges that the Army has never experienced.
    Bone density is lower in today’s youth which leads to injury’s that are not common to males like broken hips due to running or road marching.
    So the snowflakes are effecting the ability or the country to defend itself.

I went through Sand Hill in '08, and my platoon had several stress fractures. I can't imagine that it has gotten better.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Sometimes you'll hear people complain about the creation of a warrior class in this country, but this is why. You have to be selective if you want a leaner, smarter force. No problem so far, I think that is a good thing. Then you have to find a way to motivate the able. And the able have a lot of options. Money is a huge motivator in this country, and a bright kid with a scholarship might think he can do better than the military. The perception is still that you can drink beer and hook up with frat girls for 4 years and make a pile of cash at a great job when you graduate. The perception of the military is that you will be told what to do with every waking moment of your life, and be left with little opportunity after 4 years. So that removes a whole swath of able-bodied kids. What we are left with is often upbringing. How many kids are raised to give back? How many have a tradition of service in their family? So then you begin to see the same families in uniform, generation after generation. And thus a gradual seperation of this "warrior class" from society at large. But the same people who complain about this would also never let their kids join the military. So what to do?

Top Bottom