• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Looks like someone needs their tax-exempt status more strongly investigated. You don't get to claim a special status and then try to affect political change. A tax-exempt church is no longer "not for profit" once it starts taking stances on political subjects. This nonsense needs to be nipped in the bud immediately.

955CE581-8DFF-49BA-B8E1-C1294B80D3C9-459256.JPG

Possible fly in the ointment, this new Executive Order may allow them to advocate for gun control:
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/3/trump-religious-freedom-order-lift-political-activ/

Any INGO lawyers care to comment?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I left the Methodist Church years ago because of their stance on gun control and other political issues, nothing new.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Chruches should be free from taxes and free from government intervention in their speech.

They should refrain from partisan politics because it is not the focus of the Word. However, where the Word states what is right and what is wrong, churches should be free to comment and advocate.

We're not all going to agree about what is proper and what is not. I WILL NOT EVER advocate that someone I disagree with lose tax exempt status because I do not like the position they have chosen. We combat bad ideas with good ideas, not using the authorities to silence our opponents.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Chruches should be free from taxes and free from government intervention in their speech.

They should refrain from partisan politics because it is not the focus of the Word. However, where the Word states what is right and what is wrong, churches should be free to comment and advocate.

We're not all going to agree about what is proper and what is not. I WILL NOT EVER advocate that someone I disagree with lose tax exempt status because I do not like the position they have chosen. We combat bad ideas with good ideas, not using the authorities to silence our opponents.

Yep.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

The problem is that many churches are commenting on things not addressed by their religious scripts or are advocating for things that are in direct conflict with those scripts. When any religious group advocates for things that are in direct conflict with their readily observed holy texts, they should lose their tax-exempt status. In those instances, the church, their words, and their message have been corrupted from religious teaching and turned into anti-religious partisan political advocacy - that is not acceptable and is an abuse of the tax code, not to mention the particular religion and associated religious texts!

If a particular religion has religious texts that support a message that I do not agree with, that is fine. When they take a position that obviously conflicts with their religious texts, I will speak out for revocation of their tax-exempt status because at that point they are not acting as a church, but instead as a political advocacy organization.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The problem is that many churches are commenting on things not addressed by their religious scripts or are advocating for things that are in direct conflict with those scripts. When any religious group advocates for things that are in direct conflict with their readily observed holy texts, they should lose their tax-exempt status. In those instances, the church, their words, and their message have been corrupted from religious teaching and turned into anti-religious partisan political advocacy - that is not acceptable and is an abuse of the tax code, not to mention the particular religion and associated religious texts!

If a particular religion has religious texts that support a message that I do not agree with, that is fine. When they take a position that obviously conflicts with their religious texts, I will speak out for revocation of their tax-exempt status because at that point they are not acting as a church, but instead as a political advocacy organization.

I agree with the highlighted statement. If that is tied to some government action, who gets to make that decision? This scares me about as much as the heretics. Wait...more.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    We've essentially left our church. Mostly cause it's pointless and we didn't get anything out of it. But politically every time they come out with a statement, it's directly opposed to my beliefs.

Jason

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You need a different church, not no church.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have been struggling with this one for several years. In my case not over politics but rather other reasons, but I just don't feel the motivation to go shaking every bush again looking for something that I am probably not going to find.

As for the original point of this thread, I am not the least bit surprised at the message on the church's sign. Assuming that this is the liberal flavor of Presbyterian church (which seems like a good bet) they nearly don't believe in God much less anything else that most any other Christian would.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well there’s your problem, Church isn’t about you.

I saw that, and had a brief knee-jerk reaction, but then quickly remembered the church is there to feed, protect and comfort the flock. Plus, maybe rw02kr43 worded it poorly - I'll give the benefit of the doubt, as I don't know if he considers himself born-again.

Isn't it's the body's job to provide blood to the arms so they can work? :dunno:

Don't you "get something" from your church? You at least get taught, right? There's plenty of churches out there that can't even master that simple concept.

Now the Joel Osteen crowd has totally perverted the concept of "getting something from going to church".

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As for the original point of this thread, I am not the least bit surprised at the message on the church's sign. Assuming that this is the liberal flavor of Presbyterian church (which seems like a good bet) they nearly don't believe in God much less anything else that most any other Christian would.
    Of course you speak of PC-USA, not the much more conservative PCA (which is the dem. of R.C. Sproul).

PC-USA is one of those that I spoke of in the Christianity thread - more concerned about literal water than metaphorical living water. They need a refresher on John 4.

...and isn't their call for boycotts and embargos on Israel much more political than this sign? :dunno:

Top Bottom