• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Heard on WIBC this morning that the Governor of Georgia warned Delta Airlines that ism they didn't reinstate the NRA discount he would rescind Delta's tax breaks, MILLIONS.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wonder what legal authority he has to make that determination.

Look people, I get that "we" want to "win." But doing non-legal things to achieve a win isn't really a good idea.

There are wrong ways to do the right thing.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    It is a tax break, and if they don't need money from every customer including the NRA, why should the good citizens of Georgia pay 40 Million dollars to help their business out. Get all political and se how it effects the bottom line in a business. They could have just said they are a safety organization that had nothing to do with the shooting, and we support many safety organizations.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    What are they using the old United maintenance facility on the north side of the field for these days? Sometimes I drive by there on the way to the Speedway.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What are they using the old United maintenance facility on the north side of the field for these days? Sometimes I drive by there on the way to the Speedway.

I think that private aircraft maintenance companies are using it. AAR I think might be one. The building of the facility was the reason my family moved to Indy. When 9/11 poo-poo'd that, My pop taught Aviation Mechanics for a while, and then got an offer he could pass up in San Fran. He says United would like to someday come back when the time is right. Can you image how different a city Indy would've been if we had gotten that hub?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think that private aircraft maintenance companies are using it. AAR I think might be one. The building of the facility was the reason my family moved to Indy. When 9/11 poo-poo'd that, My pop taught Aviation Mechanics for a while, and then got an offer he could pass up in San Fran. He says United would like to someday come back when the time is right. Can you image how different a city Indy would've been if we had gotten that hub?

I know several good/smart people that worked there.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Republic Airways Holding, parent of Republic Airlines, is headquartered at IND (largest domestic operator of EMB170 and EMB175 a/c). They had a heavy maintenance check operation there but are winding it down in favor of a "green card" facility they have established in Rome,NY

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Indy doesn't have anywhere near enough Georgia Tech grads to make that happen

My cousin is an Aerospace Engineering grad from Georgia Tech. Suma *** Laude. He was on work-study with United almost his entire time at Tech, too.

He hasn't worked on/for/with airlines since he graduated.

BUT - there are still a ton of engineering grads being produced in Indiana schools. RHIT, Purdue, and even lowly USI now has a bona-fide bachelor of engineering program.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Heard on WIBC this morning that the Governor of Georgia warned Delta Airlines that ism they didn't reinstate the NRA discount he would rescind Delta's tax breaks, MILLIONS.

Not the Gov, the Lt. Gov. Lt. Gov made the announcement, and he's the fellow that presides over the state senate, and they are the body that has to vote on the exemption.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/26/us/delta-nra-georgia-tax-cut.html

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    I'm on the fence with this one. I am not a fan of revenge legislation and that's what this seems like.
    That said, I also feel a little quid pro quo, right? You hose NRA members, we hose your tax bill.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Look people, I get that "we" want to "win." But doing non-legal things to achieve a win isn't really a good idea.

There are wrong ways to do the right thing.

What is "non-legal" about the proposed action? We extend you discounts, or we don't (Airline). We extend you tax breaks, or we don't (Legislature). If you took away the artificial connection of unconnected topics in the interest of "getting things done," it's not clear to me how much of the political process would remain. What exactly about this offends your sense of propriety? Do you consider yourself aligned with the sort of muckety-mucks who work behind the scenes to land tax breaks for corporations? Does it keep you awake at night that these fine efforts might unravel for inopportune reasons, and that legislative bodies "bought" via such favors won't "stay bought?" Does this undermine the fabric of organized society, in your opinion?

Just trying to find out what is so offensive about it. To me, it just sounds like the usual establishment-Republican discomfort at the sight of "political business" being done in broad daylight where average people can see it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Republic Airways Holding, parent of Republic Airlines, is headquartered at IND (largest domestic operator of EMB170 and EMB175 a/c). They had a heavy maintenance check operation there but are winding it down in favor of a "green card" facility they have established in Rome,NY

On the former SAC base, Griffiss? That's a heck of a runway and apron there. 13k' and 750' wide. That was wide enough to get some of the airplanes in the Aero Club off the ground. And there were probably a lot of BUFF sized hangers sitting empty.

There were some good Italian restaurants in the area...but you'd better like Italian because there was nothing else. Rome Labs is still there as well as the NORAD Eastern Air Defense Sector.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Another thing Georgia hasn't considered is the business blowback if they go this route. Why would any large businesses want to move to Georgia, if they will cite a businesses relationships with other businesses in attempts to punish them? Amazon?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What is "non-legal" about the proposed action? We extend you discounts, or we don't (Airline). We extend you tax breaks, or we don't (Legislature). If you took away the artificial connection of unconnected topics in the interest of "getting things done," it's not clear to me how much of the political process would remain. What exactly about this offends your sense of propriety? Do you consider yourself aligned with the sort of muckety-mucks who work behind the scenes to land tax breaks for corporations? Does it keep you awake at night that these fine efforts might unravel for inopportune reasons, and that legislative bodies "bought" via such favors won't "stay bought?" Does this undermine the fabric of organized society, in your opinion?

Just trying to find out what is so offensive about it. To me, it just sounds like the usual establishment-Republican discomfort at the sight of "political business" being done in broad daylight where average people can see it.

Zowie! Never thought a post standing up for the rule of law would draw such an emotional response. :) But, these are strange days....

In short, the point is that there was a process to obtain the tax break and there is (almost certainly) a process for losing it. That process is VERY UNLIKELY to be a fiat by the governor or lt. governor. Instead, there is likely a set of criteria that must be met to receive the tax break and they either meet the standards or they don't. In my experience in this area, taking a political stand is not a disqualifier - although perhaps it is down there.

The last sentence of my post is the key: there are wrong ways to do the right thing. If they want to take away the tax breaks, that's fine. But they should follow the law to do it, not some knee jerk emotional reaction.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The last sentence of my post is the key: there are wrong ways to do the right thing. If they want to take away the tax breaks, that's fine. But they should follow the law to do it, not some knee jerk emotional reaction.

They are following the law.

There is a proposal going through the legislature to give the airline a tax break. It has not yet passed the state's Senate.
    The Lt. Gov presides over the state Senate and is using his position to threaten the tax cuts contained in the tax bill coming to the Senate.

Where's the break in rule of law?

Georgia Senate’s leaders vowed to block a lucrative tax break bill on Monday that would benefit Delta Air Lines ...That move forced Gov. Nathan Deal and other supporters of the $50 million jet fuel sales tax exemption to shift to the defensive, and prompted a growing number of Republicans to try to strip the provision out of a broader tax-cut bill that has already passed the state House.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    They are following the law.

There is a proposal going through the legislature to give the airline a tax break. It has not yet passed the state's Senate.
    The Lt. Gov presides over the state Senate and is using his position to threaten the tax cuts contained in the tax bill coming to the Senate.

Where's the break in rule of law?

That's why I was asking the question!

Top Bottom