• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I thought I saw a thread about this topic earlier, but I can't find it now and I just wanted to share this video from Liz Wheeler. I haven't fact checked, but she doesn't tend to spout BS so I'm not too worried about sharing it. It revolves around how raising the age to buy any firearm to 21 is meaningless from the prevention side and backs it up with a number of facts.

[video=youtube;nNBe1HLbC4c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNBe1HLbC4c[/video]

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I think it is nonsense that a person is considered an adult depending on the subject matter.

To join the military - 18.
    To smoke cigarettes - 18 for now.
    Vote - 18.
    Alcohol - 21.
    Drive a car - 16.
    Sex - 16.
    Child support if you are a male - any age.
    Commit a horrible crime - 12? 13?.
    Income taxes - any age.

People need to pick an age for adult, and set it into law.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Yep, totally agree. Its been 18 for as long as we could write the damn number 18 till all of a sudden some whack job commits mass murder at a school and now all of a sudden its too young?! GTFO with that stupid crap. You dont judge millions and millions and millions of current 18 19 20 year old adults by ONE mentally deranged lunatic. Its just another tactic the antis are trying to get anything passed that bans something. I will admit its a fairly new tactic and shows that they have some devious outside the box thinkers on their side as this whole mess caught us with our feet up in the recliner taking a break after the 8 years we had with the kenyan.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I think it is nonsense that a person is considered an adult depending on the subject matter.

Vote - 18.
    Alcohol - 21.
    Drive a car - 16.
    Sex - 16.
    Income taxes - any age.

The operative quote here: People need to pick an age for adult, and set it into law.

Interestingly, the same people who think we need to move firearm ownership to 21 are the ones who think 16 year old kids should be allowed to vote.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

Vote - 18.
    Alcohol - 21.
    Drive a car - 16.
    Sex - 16.
    Income taxes - any age.

And all of those are totally working. no college student under 21 has ever had alcohol.

In my experience, most people that are responsible enough to do something at 21 were responsible enough at 12. The problem is trying to set an objective and arbitrary measure to something that's highly subjective.

Of course the problem with making it subjective is that means actual background checks (rather than a quick check for red flags: NICS) and character references which have their own set of issues.

yes, I know the 2A doesn't have stipulations, that's a given but outside the scope.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    (Partial Hijack) One America News Network... I must be living under a rock. How accurate is this news source in general? I watched two of her videos and she seems direct and correct. Tell me/us more...

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    (Partial Hijack) One America News Network... I must be living under a rock. How accurate is this news source in general? I watched two of her videos and she seems direct and correct. Tell me/us more...

I've got it on UVerse and it is fairly no-frills during the day without a lot of commentary. I usually catch Liz's Final Point on FB and, while some of her work with guests is a little echo chambery (though that could just be due to my viewing habits, having not actually watched her during a broadcast), when she starts laying down these kind of straightforward statements, there doesn't seem to be a lot of noise included even if she clearly has a side.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Vote - 18.
    Alcohol - 21.
    Drive a car - 16.
    Sex - 16.
    Income taxes - any age.

17 for military

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yep, totally agree. Its been 18 for as long as we could write the damn number 18 till all of a sudden some whack job commits mass murder at a school and now all of a sudden its too young?! GTFO with that stupid crap. You dont judge millions and millions and millions of current 18 19 20 year old adults by ONE mentally deranged lunatic. Its just another tactic the antis are trying to get anything passed that bans something. I will admit its a fairly new tactic and shows that they have some devious outside the box thinkers on their side as this whole mess caught us with our feet up in the recliner taking a break after the 8 years we had with the kenyan.

So, with that thought in mind, how did Indiana manage to make it 21 to buy a handgun. How is it that the age of majority should vary based on the characteristics of the weapon?

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    I agree that we should raise the age to 21. The difference between 18 and 21 is NOT 3 YEARS. 18 is still a child, 21 is a young adult.......BUT if we give them a inch.....

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    So, with that thought in mind, how did Indiana manage to make it 21 to buy a handgun. How is it that the age of majority should vary based on the characteristics of the weapon?

I thought that was just handgun ammunition? All these laws make me bonkers. I'm glad I'm a geezer so I don't have to worry about that stuff anymore.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

Vote - 18.
    Alcohol - 21.
    Drive a car - 16.
    Sex - 16.
    Income taxes - any age.

25 to rent a car.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Why not 25? Why not 30?

Society keeps delaying adulthood longer and longer. We now have millions of physical "adults" that have the behaviors of children.

Not that long ago, folks got a REAL JOB by 16. They had families at 18, with real responsibilities. Then we started pushing secondary school as a minimum requirement. Now college. We've ended up with a bunch of 20-somethings still dependent on their parents, and living in the basement (figuratively, or literally).

Yeah, I know. /rant_off.

The solution isn't the continued erosion of rights. Look at the places that have worn their rights down to a nub. They still have murders, even though it is extra-super-duper-illegal.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Parents coddle their children way too much. I got a job as soon as I was legally able, because that was the only way I was EVER going to be able to get what I wanted.

I have a 17 year old nephew who doesn't even have his license, much less a job. His mom gives him whatever he wants and his girlfriend drives him everywhere. The kid has no reason to get up off his ass and actually do anything.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

Vote - 18.
    Alcohol - 21.
    Drive a car - 16.
    Sex - 16.
    Income taxes - any age.

Age of Consent ("relations") is .... 16? 17? ...
    Marriage ... 18 ... ?
    Signing a binding contract w/o parental consent? ... 18 ?

make all that 21 ... along with all the (well ... legal) ones quoted above ... 21 ... then what?

oh and 21 to get a cell phone since kids really don't understand the limits of them. ...

Top Bottom