• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Convicted Drug Dealer be Subject to the Death Penalty?

• Total voters

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Last night, during a rally, in which he cited how other nations handle drugs, and some of the penalties applied in other countries, the president said this, in reference to the death penalty for drug dealers:

“I don’t know if this country is ready but I think it’s a discussion we have to start thinking about.”

It this a discussion we should be having, or is it outright nonsense?

This is a public poll.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It'll probably be discussed on this thread longer than it will actually be discussed. This country hardly has an appetite for the death penalty for really heinous crimes, I doubt there is any serious appetite for this.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It'll probably be discussed on this thread longer than it will actually be discussed. This country hardly has an appetite for the death penalty for really heinous crimes, I doubt there is any serious appetite for this.

You maybe right, but the mere suggestion is troubling to some. This is the second time, in recent weeks, that the president has hinted at the suggestion, so now I think it's appropriate to realistically consider.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How many times should we revive those who od on heroin with Narcan? Once, twice, three times?

1 time. You get 1 bite at the Narcan apple. All the resources that come to bear with it etc. If you do not see the light then you have made your decision with your life. Sounds cold and I am sure many will not agree. Thats cool with me.

The death penalty for supplying the users...???
    It is a rough trade. People die all down the food chain from this. The resources used are tremendous. The lives lost directly from the drug trade are countless. The sub-culture it has created is a social cancer. It is obvious or at least should be that existing laws/punishments are of little deterrent if any. The rewards outweigh the
    jail time if caught especially in our revolving door system.

What else can we do to curb this. I seriously doubt mounting any real effort to curb usage will have any effect. As long as people desire to live out existence in a dark dark place the dealer will be there to supply them. Even the threat of death will not stop it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How many times should we revive those who od on heroin with Narcan? Once, twice, three times?

"We," isn't really a "we." The "we" you're talking about, is the person who isn't there to potentially save a life. It will be a sad day when first responders arrive to render aid, tell someone they've met their quota for being saved, and then allow a person to die.

But I digress, this isn't about users insomuch as it's about sellers (dealers).

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    1 time. You get 1 bite at the Narcan apple. All the resources that come to bear with it etc. If you do not see the light then you have made your decision with your life. Sounds cold and I am sure many will not agree. Thats cool with me.

The death penalty for supplying the users...???
    It is a rough trade. People die all down the food chain from this. The resources used are tremendous. The lives lost directly from the drug trade are countless. The sub-culture it has created is a social cancer. It is obvious or at least should be that existing laws/punishments are of little deterrent if any. The rewards outweigh the
    jail time if caught especially in our revolving door system.

What else can we do to curb this. I seriously doubt mounting any real effort to curb usage will have any effect. As long as people desire to live out existence in a dark dark place the dealer will be there to supply them. Even the threat of death will not stop it.

I can't disagree with you there. But, for me, at the end of the day it's about who is really at fault. If someone could convince me that drug dealers are forcing people to buy drugs and then use them, then maybe I could see the death penalty. However, we both know that's not the case. I'm not in favor of passing on personal responsibility.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

7 times 7

would you stand over another human and watch them die while holding an antidote? That’s not how I choose to live my life.

i bet 300X more spent by society on worthless absurd ambulance rides than narcan for ODs. And fraud too. Narcan saves lives. You just have to decide if you care about that life or not.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Which countries are doing this? I have a hard time believing any country doing this is one of which we should take ideas from.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can't disagree with you there. But, for me, at the end of the day it's about who is really at fault. If someone could convince me that drug dealers are forcing people to buy drugs and then use them, then maybe I could see the death penalty. However, we both know that's not the case. I'm not in favor of passing on personal responsibility.

Personal responsibility. Bingo.
    No, I have yet to see someone be forced to take this road. Persuaded I am sure but get up one day and say....This looks like a great thing. Lets do it.

1st responders are great people. They bear the brunt of dealing with these situations and I do not envy them in this. Friend of mine is a fireman. We have had a few discussions on the topic. He and I both see the wake of insanity these people leave behind them. It is not a victim-less deal.

ER docs are of the same cloth. There to save as many as they can. I am so glad they are there.

But I digress from topic. I seriously feel that even the death penalty is no real threat to the dealers.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Which countries are doing this? I have a hard time believing any country doing this is one of which we should take ideas from.

The President of the Philippines has essentially called on citizens to execute drug dealers on site.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/philippines-president-duterte-vigilante-drug-war-you-cant-stop-me/

Trump has at times expressed some support for Duarte's approach to cracking down on drug dealers. Although I don't believe he's expressly agreed with the idea of citizen led executions.

We have plenty of crimes that could lead to capital charges. I for one don't think dealing drugs, in and of itself, should qualify.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I vote against doubling down on a failed drug policy.

Start executing dealers and they will become more desperate and more dangerous, which of course means the police have to become so as well.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    First of all i think if some drugs were legalized we would have less dealers and less crime. However, if dealers are knowingly selling tainted drugs that they know can kill, then i would definitely consider it.
    It will never happen though as others have stated, we won't even execute the most violent criminals(murderers, rapists, etc) so i really doubt we'd execute drug dealers. Having a high populace in prison makes certain people a lot of money. Follow the money

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Having seen the collateral damage done by the wake drug dealers leave behind in the course of making a quick buck off of human misery, I would vote for 10 years first offense, death for the second. Personal experience of watching the multi generational affects of this scourge destroying the lives of people starting very young is hard. I've often asked myself how do you stop it when you look at kids 5 and 8 belonging to drug addicted parents with no where to go because grandparents and even great grandparents are addicts as well. The idea that someone is making a living from this misery is horrific.

That said, Drugs Inc. in this country is a big business. There's lots of folks gainfully employed assisting, managing, and incarcerating the illegal side of Drugs Inc. I see many folks that 40 years ago would have been working in manufacturing and agriculture that now work for the legal side of Drugs Inc. I don't blame them, it's a good job and they have responsibilities to their families to be employed. Those old jobs are gone along with the value added that went with them.

Is the death penalty for drug dealing the answer, I don't know, but over my long life so far I haven't seen this problem do anything but get worse so I don't know where it ends in the future.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I'm all for an expedited death penalty for pedophiles, rapists, drug dealers and murderers. 1 appeal within a reasonable amount of time and if you're still found guilty, smell ya later.

I don't believe prison rehabilitates and honestly, they're a burden on their families.

Top Bottom