• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    NJ "zero tolerance" policy prohibits possession of firearms on or off campus at any time. Students post pictures of legal firearm use at a gun range, get suspended:

NJ's Lacey Township High School Students Suspended for Off-Campus Gun Pics - The Truth About Guns

Two students at Lacey Township High-school, NJ were suspended for posting a picture of themselves shooting guns at a private gun range with the caption “fun day at the range“. The school’s zero tolerance policy says that students cannot be in possession of weapons at any time, whether on or off campus.

...The student handbook in that district provides that students are subject to suspension if they are “reported to be in possession of a weapon of any type for any reason or purpose whether on or off school grounds during the academic year.”

Should be an interesting lawsuit in New Jerseystan.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Another extension of "Big Brother". I hope the writers of that student handbook find out what it is like to go up against a really good lawyer.

I hope if the governing officials of New York City don't get the idea to expand on this to banning "large carbonated beverages" from students even in their homes.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sounds like civil rights violation to me. Shooting is not an illegal activity in and of itself, and should fall squarely into the protection offered by the 2A. Sue the bastards.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Nothing like some serious overreach. I hope they can afford a good lawyer and sue the living s**t out of them, but dont know if that can be done if they signed the rulebook. Not sure if thats considered a binding contract or not

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    dont know if that can be done if they signed the rulebook. Not sure if thats considered a binding contract or not

If it's a public school (and the name sure sounds like one), then this rule is clearly unenforceable. We'll just have to see how long it takes the school to figure that out.

I would guess that the longer it goes on, the more it's going to cost the citizens of Lacey Township, New Jersey.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    WTF-OVER??!! Sue for a metric ****-ton of money, important precedent set. Win-win.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The comments are painful, I had to stop reading after the second "that's right, kids shouldn't have guns period" BS. Couldn't tell you how many times after class in HS that me and friends would get guns and go to a horse pasture and shoot (not at the horses, even though they deserved it some times).

More kids die of texting and driving, drugs and driving, drinking and driving, driving, and tide pods and other dumb crap they're eating.....yet...somehow......guns are bad and none of those other things are

But bullying is evil....unless you're bullying someone into being more PC

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They have already filed suit. I would think even a really liberal judge would rule this blatantly unconstitutional...but then again...

Unfortunately, a really liberal judge will likely be swayed by what the school is hoping to accomplish, and if it is in agreement with the judges own progessive ideals he will rule in the school's favor

Top Bottom