• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    posting in political section since the topic of wind farms can get quite controversial and political. Who on INGO actually lives or has family that lives in an area that has a industrial Turbine wind farm and would like to discuss it with me?

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Where at and what are your experiences with it? Sound, flicker, vibrations, were you for or against? Land owner? pm me if you want.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One of the interesting downsides is the harm that can come to you if your neighbor chooses to let them build. Apparently the new turbines could create exclusionary zones on YOUR property that will prevent you from building/improving your property in certain circumstances.

For safety, a zone the radius of 1.5x (I think... it was more than 1 but not more than 2) the height of the tower becomes a zone nobody can build on in case the turbine were to fall over. If that zone happens to cover part of YOUR property because the turbine is close enough to the property line, you can no longer improve your property even though you chose not to let them build on your property. So you want to put a minibarn up out back near the edge of your property? Or maybe a pool and pool house? Maybe not if your neighbor has a wind turbine nearby.

A fairly rare occurrence I presume, but still a kick in the teeth for someone who isnt receiving any compensation from the turbine owners. I wonder how long before a neighbor sues over this?

(cant find the original article about this, sorry)

Edit: to clarify, if your neighbor builds a 500' turbine 500' from your property line, you could lose the ability to build something up to 250' inside your property line.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    You have general idea of how the concept works, not totally. I am looking for people who specifically lives in a wind farm or family that does. I want to know the effects on them. Im in Cass county where we are in the middle of a fight over a wind farm. I have learned way more about wind turbines then I ever wanted to know. It has gotten so bad I am even running for County Commissioner now. I want personal experiences from people tho, good or bad.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    One of the interesting downsides is the harm that can come to you if your neighbor chooses to let them build. Apparently the new turbines could create exclusionary zones on YOUR property that will prevent you from building/improving your property in certain circumstances.

For safety, a zone the radius of 1.5x (I think... it was more than 1 but not more than 2) the height of the tower becomes a zone nobody can build on in case the turbine were to fall over. If that zone happens to cover part of YOUR property because the turbine is close enough to the property line, you can no longer improve your property even though you chose not to let them build on your property. So you want to put a minibarn up out back near the edge of your property? Or maybe a pool and pool house? Maybe not if your neighbor has a wind turbine nearby.

A fairly rare occurrence I presume, but still a kick in the teeth for someone who isnt receiving any compensation from the turbine owners. I wonder how long before a neighbor sues over this?

Edit: to clarify, if your neighbor builds a 500' turbine 500' from your property line, you could lose the ability to build something up to 250' inside your property line.

What you are talking about is trespass zoning. Our current ordinance in a nutshell is a Turbine will be built a blades length from property lines of a non participating land owner and 1000 ft from foundation of a dwelling of non partcipant That footage on your property is where the not being able to build comes from. Most current ordinances were wrote at 1.1 times the max height of the turbine. From an emergency first responder stand point you use 1.5 time the max height for a collaspe situation safety zone at minimum.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    My friend does and tells my he has problems sleeping since they were put in. Not because of any noise (that human ears can hear) but some kind of feeling he can't explain. Probably vibrations. He also explains all the hawk, eagle, owl, etc.... kills they swat out of the sky. :(

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's one of the government's pet public/private projects, if you don't want it, expect an expensive and long fight in court.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner

In our county, set back from structures present or future is 1500 ft regardless of property ownership.
    Local windmill service tech told me the employee safe distance form a wind tower about to pop is 2500 ft.
    Shouldn’t these to numbers be the same :dunno:

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Where at and what are your experiences with it? Sound, flicker, vibrations, were you for or against? Land owner? pm me if you want.

East Central Wisconsin.

The sound is horrendous when it's windy.
    The synchronized red flashing lights on top will drive you nutts.
    No issues with vibrations although that might just be sound vibrations from when it's windy.
    I am for when they are paying the lease but against as a general idea.

The turbines are sold to people as some sort of good thing for the environment but they aren't. They will never produce enough electricity to recover the costs of manufacture, construction and operation. To me that's a terrible use of valuable resources but because of government meddling in the market they steal from some people to give to those who make these eye sores.

I forget the exact cost estimates of each turbine but I think the number I remember was $3M per and then the lease and maintenance is added to that. And maintaining those things is a big job. One would think they just go up and that's that but not.

Then the other issue nobody wants to address is what happens after the useful life is over. The utility doesn't take them down. The land owner inherits them. What do I do with one of those towers, put a deer blind on top?

My theory is this. If the free market wouldn't build the things then it isn't a good idea. And the free market wouldn't build these things.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    East Central Wisconsin.

No issues with vibrations although that might just be sound vibrations from when it's windy.

The turbines are sold to people as some sort of good thing for the environment but they aren't. They will never produce enough electricity to recover the costs of manufacture, construction and operation. To me that's a terrible use of valuable resources but because of government meddling in the market they steal from some people to give to those who make these eye sores.

I forget the exact cost estimates of each turbine but I think the number I remember was $3M per and then the lease and maintenance is added to that. And maintaining those things is a big job. One would think they just go up and that's that but not.

Then the other issue nobody wants to address is what happens after the useful life is over. The utility doesn't take them down. The land owner inherits them. What do I do with one of those towers, put a deer blind on top?

My theory is this. If the free market wouldn't build the things then it isn't a good idea. And the free market wouldn't build these things.

Wow, thats new info I hadnt heard. Wonder what the price tag for removal would be? Not cheap, thats for sure.

Yep. And Hydrogen. Hydrogen itself is incredibly clean, but it is a net negative energy source. (more energy used to create and store than it generates when used)

Its all to make people feel good. (and to line corporate pockets) They see themselves as saviors for not consuming fossil fuels by driving priuses and using solar, wind, and hydrogen, not realizing coal is used to generate electricity to make the generation tools, minerals are strip mined for the batteries, poisoning nearby aquifers, etc. These are the same Apple fanbois who happily wear Nike shoes and Levis jeans (all made overseas with child labor) while protesting child labor practices; they are absolutely clueless that they are just as guilty (if not more) than us dirty gas burners who are polluting the environment.

And its hilarious to watch plug in cars in Indy. Where the electricity generated by their "zero emission" vehicle is indirectly powered by "dirty" coal.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Wind farms also ensure that you will not be served by tornado detection capabilities from NEXRAD RADAR. The blades create a j-hook signal that looks like a birthing tornado so the operators have to filter the area and you'll never see it coming.

Not funny how this one industry can slaughter Bald Eagles, migratory birds, endangered bats among other things and be an absolute PITA to neighbors and pretty much no one cares.

Marshall County looked at this a couple of years ago and due to citizen concerns for setback from neighbors, schools, waterways, etc. decided the best policy was to not let them build commercial turbines anywhere.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    East Central Wisconsin.

I wonder if the county could pass an ordinance that requires the builder of these things maintain an escrow account (or whatever the appropriate legal/financial term is) that would cover the cost of demolition at the end of life?

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I wonder if the county could pass an ordinance that requires the builder of these things maintain an escrow account (or whatever the appropriate legal/financial term is) that would cover the cost of demolition at the end of life?

Our county has just such an ordinance. However at a wind farm meeting one local individual pointed out that the escrow account is not fully funded for 30 yrs, life expectancy of a tower. Assuming the wind farm will have value till that point and the escrow will have enough funds to do the job 30 yrs in the future.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's not just the removal of the towers when they stop spinning that's an issue, it's also the power lines they have to build to move any electricity from where the pointless cyclopian pinwheels of tax credits are built and their market. I have a friend who's walnut farm was in the way and lost about 20 acres of mature trees to the utility company. Long after those lines go cold no one is going to come take them down...or give you back the easement. Sunzia out west wanted to run transmission lines through White Sands Missile Range...the Obummer maladministration wanted to let them.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Neighboring land values plummet when these things are put in...enough so that they refer to the surrounding areas as Wind Ghettos.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's not just the removal of the towers when they stop spinning that's an issue, it's also the power lines they have to build to move any electricity from where the pointless cyclopian pinwheels of tax credits are built and their market. I have a friend who's walnut farm was in the way and lost about 20 acres of mature trees to the utility company. Long after those lines go cold no one is going to come take them down...or give you back the easement. Sunzia out west wanted to run transmission lines through White Sands Missile Range...the Obummer maladministration wanted to let them.

At least White Sands would have the means to take them down... ;)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...My theory is this. If the free market wouldn't build the things then it isn't a good idea. And the free market wouldn't build these things.

Go with that theory...

Milton-Friedman-Quotes-1.jpg

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    posting in political section since the topic of wind farms can get quite controversial and political. Who on INGO actually lives or has family that lives in an area that has a industrial Turbine wind farm and would like to discuss it with me?

Since you are running for Commissioner in Cass Co, what is your position on the wind farm debate? Excuse me if this has been answered in another thread but you are asking for the votes of citizens/TAX PAYERS/land owners in Cass Co.

Thanks.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom