Parkland victims trying to sue the gun manufactures and a few others.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Parkland victims sue, calling gun maker and seller complicit in massacre - Sun Sentinel

Looks like they are asking a judge if they can sue the companies. If they loose, they pay the bills according to the article.

The parents of Jaime Guttenberg and Alex Schachter want a judge to clear the way for them to claim damages against American Outdoor Brands, formerly known as Smith & Wesson, and Sunrise Tactical Supply......

......Before the lawsuit can go forward, their attorneys said, judges have to clarify that gun manufacturers and sellers can be sued by victims. “A confusingly written Florida statute stands in the way,” the attorneys wrote. “If the defendants claim that [the law] entitles them to immunity from such claims, and the courts agree,” the victims will be forced to pay the gun maker’s and seller’s legal fees instead of recovering damages........

.......The Guttenbergs and Schachter want a judge to either declare that the law does not block them from collecting damages —or to declare the law unconstitutional.

So it seems that for this to go through, the PLCAA would have to be overturned. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_of_Lawful_Commerce_in_Arms_Act\

I'm sure this has Bloomberg money behind it. For the sake of the parents, I hope it turns out better than the Brady help the family of an Aurora shooting got. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/lonnie-and-sandy-phillips/lucky-gunner-lawsuit_b_8197804.html

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Huh. So the little wacko douche bag kills his Mother and takes her guns. Shoots up a school.
    Now blame is being laid on the people that made the guns.

Help me out here. Please.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, someone else sued, lost, and had to pay. The news made it out that the gun manufacturers were without hearts.
    Never mentioned, or in only a sentence or two, about the fact that the law stated that they couldn't sue for that, and they'd have to pay. They were even warned.

The few mentions of it, said you couldn't sue gun manufacturers, unlike other products. Which is a lie. You can still sue if the product is defective, or causes injury through it's defectiveness.
    But not for the actions of another person.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    This is not how any of this works. Do they not understand? If it did work that way, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc along with verizon, AT&T, etc would be bankrupt by now because of drunk drivers and negligent kids/adults. These people are such morons. I understand they lost their kid to a stupid irresponsible act and that sucks but repsonsible ownership of items are transferred to buyer when purchased

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is not how any of this works. Do they not understand? If it did work that way, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc along with verizon, AT&T, etc would be bankrupt by now because of drunk drivers and negligent kids/adults. These people are such morons. I understand they lost their kid to a stupid irresponsible act and that sucks but repsonsible ownership of items are transferred to buyer when purchased

They refuse to see that.
    Cars are something they use and see every day. Danger that is used/seen everyday, has the perception of danger decrease.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Help me out here. Please.

It's all I got brother....

buffalo-trace-bourbon-whiskey.jpg

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    They refuse to see that.
    Cars are something they use and see every day. Danger that is used/seen everyday, has the perception of danger decrease.

We have to continue to reiterate that owners bear responsibility of whatever product you've purchased. Whether it's guns, cars, chainsaws, pets, homes, lawnmowers, etc. This way we might be able to get out of this "finger pointing " blame game and people might start taking some ownership and accountability.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Of course I have sympathy for the parents and their grief, but when I read about this today I just shook my head. Reasons why this is so ridiculous have been given already. In addition to suing (or wanting to sue) the gun manufacturer, they are also pushing for mandatory gun storage regulations. Because you know, if we just had ONE MORE LAW, I'm sure that would do the trick. :rolleyes:

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have no doubt that just like the other cases, someone is funding their legal fees. But I have to question why the parents would open themselves to the defendant's attorney fees when none of the previous suits has been successful. Sandy Hook and Aurora were both dismissed. It seems like sure financial ruin for a political statement.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have no doubt that just like the other cases, someone is funding their legal fees. But I have to question why the parents would open themselves to the defendant's attorney fees when none of the previous suits has been successful. Sandy Hook and Aurora were both dismissed. It seems like sure financial ruin for a political statement.

Because they're getting bad advice.
    Advice from people that are USING them to try to make gun stuff look bad and uncaring.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Maybe they're trying to hit the judge lottery. I'm sure there are some out there that would be sympathetic to the cause if the proper argument could be trumped up.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Can the manufacturers be liable for anything other than a defective product? Didn't the firearm function as designed?

Maybe they should sue Obama and their school system for enacting policies that enabled the shooter to remain in school rather than in jail, and the sheriff for employing a cowardly and incompetent deputy as SRO

But that wouldn't feed the narrative

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I would not be surprised to find that a well known gun control group is helping the parents with this law suit. If that is the case then it is just a disgusting abuse of a family who is grieving after a tragic loss.

We've seen how this goes before. Families who lost loved ones in mass shootings are encouraged to file suit and spend money on a case that has no legal merit, and which will fail, all so that a gun control group can use their new suffering for political gains in an attempt to erode the rights of others.

I sincerely hope that this family can escape this situation before they pour good money after bad.

Top Bottom