• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wonder if the recently passed "Right to Try" law might eventually come to impact this sort of thing? Maybe not directly, but by a possible shift in attitudes toward medical marijuana?

Edit: I mean at the Federal level.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I hope so. The prohibition against marijuana is complete nonsense. I don't use the stuff, but you can bet that I would get it for my son if he had a similar disorder and I thought it would help.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hope so. The prohibition against marijuana is complete nonsense. I don't use the stuff, but you can bet that I would get it for my son if he had a similar disorder and I thought it would help.

Agreed. I still can't believe there's even an issue with CBD oil (especially if it contains no THC). I don't know how a substance with absolutely no intoxicants and no known side effects can still be classified as a Schedule 1 "drug" by the feds, especially when there are so many testimonials as to its effectiveness (anecdotal or not).

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Because of big pharma. I would think plenty of drugs on the market wouldn't be needed if marijuana was legalized for medical purposes. That's my limited understanding based on things I've seen and read. As people here are fond of pointing out, always follow the money.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Because of big pharma. I would think plenty of drugs on the market wouldn't be needed if marijuana was legalized for medical purposes. That's my limited understanding based on things I've seen and read. As people here are fond of pointing out, always follow the money.

Follow the money, and you can bet your a** it leads to big pharma and politicians. I dont see it ever being completely legalized, especially at the federal level.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Blackhawks Predators | WGN-TV would love to see a true double-blinded study done evaluating THC versus standard seizure medications for treatment of epilepsy. There have been studies looking at it and it's shown more effective than placebo for some types of seziures, but come on, that's not what we're interested in. There are numerous causes of seizures and it's absurd to think MJ is going to work wonderfully for every one. It's absurd to say the only reason MJ is illegal is because of Big Pharma. "follow the money" is such a tired phrase on this forum.

I see these stories about miraculous cures of seizure disorders from smoking a joint, or even seizures stopping instantly when a CBD oil drop is put in the mouth or rubbing it on the skin. Come on. Absurd.

What I never see is a detailed description of the condition the patient has. Is it LGS? You know, the one that usually doesn't respond to current medications? https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-epilepsy-syndromes/lennox-gastaut-syndrome-lgs

You never hear what meds the person is taking. Is they are regulating their sleep-wake cycle. If they take their meds. If they're using drugs, alcohol, etc. I see seizure patients almost daily in the ER. The vast majority of seizures that I see are in patients who missed doses, refuse to take them at all, or did something to provoke the seizure. Occasionally they have an illness that creates a break-through seizure. The current medications out there are phenomenal.

I'm not saying this in an attempt to say MJ isn't useful for treating seizures. My son has a seizure disorder. I would love to have them cured for all people. I'm saying this is a straw man argument being used to push legalization of MJ and slam drug companies. I bet a lot of you just said in your head "who cares, it SHOULD BE LEGAL". I agree with you. But do you want to get there using misleading emotional appeals?

These reports are geared at main-steam people and never give a clinical history. The medical literature is not exploding with case reports of these patients. Youtube and Facebook are though. Why the disconnect? Do you think doctors get paid by big pharma? Will the doctor lose a copay if the kid just hits the bong a few times a day? Follow the money? That impugns the entire culture of those who practice medicine and it's insulting.

Sort of a rambling post that I'm sure will lead to gnashing of teeth but it's some honesty for you at 4am. It is absolutely impossible to make a judgement on this case without knowing the medical background of the kid. Did he refuse to take meds but likes smoking pot? Who knows. Perhaps we should get information before deciding how we think? Or since it's about MJ is that thrown out the window?

[video=youtube;tFEaZjcZDcs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFEaZjcZDcs[/video]

Follow the money right? OK, her dad grows medical MJ commercially and his daughter is suing to legalize it. He grows tens of millions of dollars of it. Follow the money?

Colorado girl suing U.S. attorney general to legalize medical marijuana nationwide | WGN-TV

He showed his backyard fields, where he grows five acres of marijuana plants used to derive the medicine that helps his daughter and patients he's never met.

:rofl: What a saint :rofl: Follow the money? :rofl:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Doc, what do you think of the "Right to Try" law that was recently passed? To my (admittedly layman) way of thinking, it's not much different than the medical MJ situation. You have a "medication" that appears to be helping a lot of people but has not yet made it through all the FDA's hoops to make it to market. It shows promise here and around the world. Shouldn't patients have the right to try it without becoming criminals?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, aside from the whole seizure thing, it is good for treating pain as well. The problem for me is that it seems like it helps with numerous things and not being able to test those things is just stupid. Our govt has an irrational fear of Mary Jane and you have to wonder why and where that fear comes from.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, aside from the whole seizure thing, it is good for treating pain as well. The problem for me is that it seems like it helps with numerous things and not being able to test those things is just stupid. Our govt has an irrational fear of Mary Jane and you have to wonder why and where that fear comes from.

51822HbCE0L.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Yeah, like many things, it has been distorted in the media, hollyweird and by the govt. Don't get me wrong, it is easy to abuse and when abused I think it makes people lose focus, discipline and over time leads them to have less drive. Like a lot of things, however, it can be used sparingly with little to no ill effect. A couple of hits off a joint (or whatever amount of edible/oil) can relax and can help with pain or various other issues. Very much like alcohol, except it's more effective for pain (for instance), with less problems like a hangover to deal with. The problem with it, just like with alcohol, is that it's easy to abuse.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, like many things, it has been distorted in the media, hollyweird and by the govt. Don't get me wrong, it is easy to abuse and when abused I think it makes people lose focus, discipline and over time leads them to have less drive. Like a lot of things, however, it can be used sparingly with little to no ill effect. A couple of hits off a joint (or whatever amount of edible/oil) can relax and can help with pain or various other issues. Very much like alcohol, except it's more effective for pain (for instance), with less problems like a hangover to deal with. The problem with it, just like with alcohol, is that it's easy to abuse.

This is true, but then again look at what's happened with opiod addiction - in many cases fueled by legal, prescription drugs. There are going to be risks with just about any medication, but one major difference is that nobody is overdosing on marijuana.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm a big fan of "right to try" concept. I didn't read the law so can't comment on specifics but the concept sounds solid. I mean why not? What is there to lose? If you can choose to stop treatment for a fatal disease, you should be able to select an unproven treatment for that same disease. I'm sure there are some regulatory issues about allowing the compound into the country (if foreign source) and who is in charge of it and "chain of custody" so to speak but that's administrative issues and shouldn't be too hard to get past.

A downside could be that people start grasping at straws and those therapies don't work so they are reported as not working and that may affect their future development into a proven therapy. The issue may be they are tried for the wrong thing. The drug/therapy would still be controlled by the person developing it. Will they say no to some people? Is there protection for the developer in that situation?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm a big fan of "right to try" concept. I didn't read the law so can't comment on specifics but the concept sounds solid. I mean why not? What is there to lose? If you can choose to stop treatment for a fatal disease, you should be able to select an unproven treatment for that same disease. I'm sure there are some regulatory issues about allowing the compound into the country (if foreign source) and who is in charge of it and "chain of custody" so to speak but that's administrative issues and shouldn't be too hard to get past.

A downside could be that people start grasping at straws and those therapies don't work so they are reported as not working and that may affect their future development into a proven therapy. The issue may be they are tried for the wrong thing. The drug/therapy would still be controlled by the person developing it. Will they say no to some people? Is there protection for the developer in that situation?

It sounds like we are mostly on the same page. I was just curious given some of the examples you gave in your earlier post. As for this quote in particular, "The medical literature is not exploding with case reports of these patients. Youtube and Facebook are though. Why the disconnect?" I wonder if the disconnect is that clinical testing for medical MJ has been banned (at least in the past, not sure about now) in the way other drugs are tested and researched, at least here in the U.S., hence the dearth of bonafides in medical journals and such.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    On one level I love the "right to try" concept.

However, who pays for it? Insurance companies go with proven treatments so money isn't wasted. Do they get smeared as evil greedy scum if/when they don't pay?

Also, shouldn't there be some mandatory requirements of record keeping so as to contribute to the understanding of true value of the treatment?

Doug

Last edited:
    Top Bottom