• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well, you're not agreeing with the Boston Globe. It's an opinion piece. You are agreeing with the author of the piece.

what I saw indicated it was their editorial board. Did you see something different?

Illustration / Daniel Hertzberg

IDEAS | THE BIG TECH ISSUE

By The Editorial Board
    June 14, 2018

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't think breaking-up Google should be a government function. The market just need some competition that isn't essentially a clone of Google. The same goes for the youtube part of Google.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't think breaking-up Google should be a government function. The market just need some competition that isn't essentially a clone of Google. The same goes for the youtube part of Google.

This is the sentiment many conservatives have and it is just naive and in the end wrong. I am a leave me alone kind of guy as likely you are too, but when individual companies control 70+% of the market, then engage in monopolistic behavior, AND acting like a government, controlling speech, commerce, and having teams of data on every human in the country. The people must act to rein this in as we have done successfully in the past.

Was as breaking up Standard Oil bad for our country? ATT? I say no and that we are at that place again. G, FB, and Amazon all need to be split up. Think of this, Amazon did not do much lobbying but when they needed political clout did the engage the top lobbyists alone? NO, they also just bought the newspaper company of record for our nations capital like you buy a newspaper. Ever heard of AWS? They are storing enormous ammounts of sensitive government and military data.

There is no competition because we let these companies beat them or buy them. Most of these companies lost money for years and were floated by Wall Street until they reached monopolistic proportions. The candy software and tools G give to consumers "free" should cost about $400 per year, that is what your data is worth. I would rather control my life than have free stuff, that too is a conservative position, and so is breaking up monopolies when they arise.

M

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Take the YouTube part, it has never made a profit. How does it stay afloat? They keep it to shut out other players. No one can compete because storage systems cost so much. G keeps control, not focusing on profit from that division until it wipes out cable companies and adds to the monopoly.

M

Top Bottom