• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Trump announces plans for Pentagon to create ?Space Force? | FOX59

Vowing to reclaim U.S. leadership in space, President Donald Trump announced Monday he is directing the Pentagon to create a new “Space Force” as an independent service branch aimed at ensuring American supremacy in space.

I'm not sure we need the bureaucracy of another branch, but I'm certainly glad to see Space getting a higher national priority.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Marvin_20the_20Martin_large.png

he's ready

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wonder if military/NASA people will be first recruited.

Dunno. It still has to be funded, etc. I agree with Sec. Mattis. Put it under USAF like the USMC is to the USN.

Makes a lot more sense logistically, IMO, then a new branch from scratch. If it eventually becomes needed, detach it like the USAF was from the Army.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The wheels are turning...
    Setting up the United States Space Force (USSF) as a separate military branch does one very big thing: allows the USSF an equal seat at the table competing for resources with the other military branches.

There is already the US Space Command (a Unified Combatant Command, think CENTCOM without the desert camo and in space vice the Middle East.) In Qatar I worked out the the CAOC, Combined Air (and Space) Operations Center. I guess CASOC would make everyone think it was Special Ops. At the CAOC you'll find the DIRSPACEFOR (Director of Space Forces) and a Joint Space Cell with all branches represented.

The USAF has the Air Force Space Command (Major Command, organize, train, and equip) as well as a Numbered Air Force (tactical echelon, air component to US Spacecom since Space is under air in the USAF.)

Now it gets complicated. USAF was the US Army Air Forces prior to 18 Sep 47. Space is all over the place (in military branches that is.) Do we carve all Space out and give them different uniforms? Not as easy as USAAF to USAF. Do we roll NASA in? If yes, how? They ain't DoD, yet.

Who's gonna lead this mess? The original 7 astronauts were military test pilots. Lets just say you won't find any of those types in charge of anything in Space these days.

Here's another question: what is the mission? Is it Star Fleet or is it NASA plus satellites?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The wheels are turning...
    Setting up the United States Space Force (USSF) as a separate military branch does one very big thing: allows the USSF an equal seat at the table competing for resources with the other military branches.

There is already the US Space Command (a Unified Combatant Command, think CENTCOM without the desert camo and in space vice the Middle East.) In Qatar I worked out the the CAOC, Combined Air (and Space) Operations Center. I guess CASOC would make everyone think it was Special Ops. At the CAOC you'll find the DIRSPACEFOR (Director of Space Forces) and a Joint Space Cell with all branches represented.

The USAF has the Air Force Space Command (Major Command, organize, train, and equip) as well as a Numbered Air Force (tactical echelon, air component to US Spacecom since Space is under air in the USAF.)

Now it gets complicated. USAF was the US Army Air Forces prior to 18 Sep 47. Space is all over the place (in military branches that is.) Do we carve all Space out and give them different uniforms? Not as easy as USAAF to USAF. Do we roll NASA in? If yes, how? They ain't DoD, yet.

Who's gonna lead this mess? The original 7 astronauts were military test pilots. Lets just say you won't find any of those types in charge of anything in Space these days.

Here's another question: what is the mission? Is it Star Fleet or is it NASA plus satellites?

Youve explained perfectly why it shouldn't be its own branch. To be honest, I'm having a hard time believing this was created out of need more than "someone" watching tv and movies, and thinking that it would be a good idea to have a space wing of the military.

For full disclosure if the president proposes having a fleet of Star Destroyers, I'll support that 100%.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    From a total sci-fi nerd: This is dumb. We don't even have our own way into orbit. The USAF and NRO do everything we need military wise in space. Unless T knows something we don't know...like NK is building a space force.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Youve explained perfectly why it shouldn't be its own branch. To be honest, I'm having a hard time believing this was created out of need more than "someone" watching tv and movies, and thinking that it would be a good idea to have a space wing of the military.

For full disclosure if the president proposes having a fleet of Star Destroyers, I'll support that 100%.

Will they be wearing those cool white armored outfits.....:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    From a total sci-fi nerd: This is dumb. We don't even have our own way into orbit. The USAF and NRO do everything we need military wise in space. Unless T knows something we don't know...like NK is building a space force.

Might be cause to get us back on the manned launch pad.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Russia and China actually do have space forces, lol.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The USAF dates back to being established as the Aeronautical Division of the US Army Signal Corps in 1907. In 40 years it became a separate branch. The Royal Air Force (RAF) was a separate branch years earlier, but they were way ahead of us in military aviation back in the day. From the Wright Brothers through WWII there were exponential leaps in aircraft technology. USAF didn't get a plane until 1909 (balloons don't count!!) Billy Mitchell was Court-martialed in 1925, in 1926 the US Army Air Service became the US Army Air Corps. So he had his career ended, but he was right.

We haven't made the 1907-1947 leaps in Space yet, but we will someday. Is there a Space Billy Mitchell out there? I doubt it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The USAF dates back to being established as the Aeronautical Division of the US Army Signal Corps in 1907. In 40 years it became a separate branch. The Royal Air Force (RAF) was a separate branch years earlier, but they were way ahead of us in military aviation back in the day. From the Wright Brothers through WWII there were exponential leaps in aircraft technology. USAF didn't get a plane until 1909 (balloons don't count!!) Billy Mitchell was Court-martialed in 1925, in 1926 the US Army Air Service became the US Army Air Corps. So he had his career ended, but he was right.

We haven't made the 1907-1947 leaps in Space yet, but we will someday. Is there a Space Billy Mitchell out there? I doubt it.

I personally think that the "space force," should remain combined with the USAF. If a space for has equal rights to funding as any other branch, you kinda have to justify what would be a massive amount of money that take away from the other branches. We are not behind the curve, comparatively, to other nations; in fact, we are well ahead. If it comes to a point where someone else is catching up, where it becomes a concern, then we can look into it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Every services mission touches space now. If they are going to combine the efforts then it should be a Joint Command...because we NEED Space Marines...just because.

It could coordinate all the various efforts in an umbrella command and control structure, space launch, missile defense, navigation and communications, surveillance and data management and strategic strike.

Cape Canaveral is doing business differently now, they say they are working at the speed of business. A decade ago their way of managing launches would have been limited to 7 launches a year, this year they say they are ready for 400 being able to turn a pad in as little as 2 days. It's an important capability given the ChiComs obsession with space denial.

And let's not forget the AF Space Plane that has been out there for years...and that's an open source capability. With the work on directed energy weapons and pulse cannons it might be time for a force focused on this warfighting domain as opposed to how it helps those other warfighting environments of air, land and sea.

...besides, we NEED Space Marines...:D

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    When that warp drive engine passes initial operational capability testing, THEN we'll get serious on the USSF. But that will never happen, the USAF will spend that money on the F-22's replacement and the F-35E Boondoggle II

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    To be honest, I'm having a hard time believing this was created out of need more than "someone" watching tv and movies, and thinking that it would be a good idea to have a space wing of the military.

I think it's long overdue...It's time....

[video=youtube;3RlbqOl_4NA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RlbqOl_4NA[/video]

[video=youtube;EDj9ZZQY2kA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDj9ZZQY2kA[/video]

[video=youtube;ZNkmhY_ju8o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNkmhY_ju8o[/video]

[video=youtube;1THwiaXZfzA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1THwiaXZfzA[/video]

Top Bottom