United States quits UN "Human Rights" council.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Next step, leave UN or kick UN HQ out of NYC. I am fine with either. Let them move to Somalia or Saudi.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    When I first found out Saudi Arabia was on the UNHRC, I was baffled why the US would even be a party to such a complete joke.

While I'm not thrilled with Israel being the excuse for us leaving, it at least serves my interests.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's a good move, leaving the UN entirely would be better. Let the State Dept do its job without a crutch to fall back on that takes away responsibility for spending money doing things not in our interest. Most of what the UN does is not in our interest, spends our money, drags out conflicts interminably, publicly decries the US and its allies, coddles dictators, provides a base for every country to spy on us...as said up thread; if they want to continue this farce let them do it in some other country with their own money.

A good book that highlights the mismanagement of the UN in conflicts is "The Siege of Jadottville". I think they used Johnson's micromanagement of the VN conflict as the model to follow.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This "council" has been a laughing stock for years for any person that pays attention. Of course half the country doesn't pay attention and only do and say what their political masters tell them to do.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    A good book that highlights the mismanagement of the UN in conflicts is "The Siege of Jadottville". I think they used Johnson's micromanagement of the VN conflict as the model to follow.

Netflix made this into a very good movie 2 years ago. It should have been called The Miracle of Jadottville though.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'd say do one of two things:

1) drop out of the UN. Of course, stop funding it. And kick them the **** out. We contribute more than twice the funding that the next highest contributor does. **** 'em.

2) Stay in. But, since we kick in > 1/5th the funding, and host the HQ, we should demand 1/5th the voting power. Take it or leave it. **** 'em.

I lean towards #1. The UN has morphed into a toxic and corrupt entity that attempts to be a world governing body. The logical conclusion of such a body was always going to become that.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'd say do one of two things:

1) drop out of the UN. Of course, stop funding it. And kick them the **** out. We contribute more than twice the funding that the next highest contributor does. **** 'em.

2) Stay in. But, since we kick in > 1/5th the funding, and host the HQ, we should demand 1/5th the voting power. Take it or leave it. **** 'em.

I lean towards #1. The UN has morphed into a toxic and corrupt entity that attempts to be a world governing body. The logical conclusion of such a body was always going to become that.

Option 1 please!

Pull out, dont look back, and protect our own country. There is no need for the US to be the world police. We need to worry about getting our country out of its 20 trillion debt, securing OUR borders, helping OUR poor and Military vets before even spending 1 more cent on helping protect other countries. Wishful thinking, I know, but thats the way it should be

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Option 1 please!

Pull out, dont look back, and protect our own country. There is no need for the US to be the world police. We need to worry about getting our country out of its 20 trillion debt, securing OUR borders, helping OUR poor and Military vets before even spending 1 more cent on helping protect other countries. Wishful thinking, I know, but thats the way it should be

The US isn't the world police... it's more akin to piggy bank. Now that should stop. However, there's one HUGE benefit in staying in the UN, and that's the a seat on the Security Council. It may not seem much when dealing with China or Russia, but it has a lot of sway in influencing smaller nations; especially when deals are made between the Security Council members. One would be wise to remember the causes of WW1 when considering this issue.

Top Bottom