• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Wait, we need workers? Perhaps we should get some visa folks here stat. You know... legal foreign workers

unemployment went up because 600,000 more people joined the workforce and started looking again last month

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I've seen my company struggle for months to hire and retain "entry level" positions. Jobs are so plentiful, folks have no problem walking out because another position just like it is five minutes away.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Employers will have to pay more for the good employees.

Screw that, I'd rather lock myself into a system where my compensation is determined by negotiations not by me, but by a third party who places seniority as a premium over production.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Picking nits, but the second paragraph describes it as a "buyer's market" which is exactly opposite of what it is. The sellers (those "selling" their labor) are the ones apparently with the advantage now.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I know my company is feeling it. There is a ton of manufacturing down here in Dubois county, and all the factories are scrambling to steal workers from all the other factories. People are job hopping to get a few more pennies on the hour.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not making predictions, not never-Trumping, not trying to be Debbie downer, things have been great, but...

I work for a company that builds tooling for the automotive industry. Stuff to make the cars that are a year or two away from actually being built.

Our workload and quoting activity is dropping like Wile E. Coyote off a cliff, holding an anvil.

That happens sometimes. Just a minor blip and we pick right back up. This one has gone on too long for a blip.

When downturns happen, we usually feel it months before everybody else does.

I hope this isn't one of those. Or that it can at least hold off until the end of November.:rolleyes:

Again, this is not professional prognostication, just IMHO, YMMV.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyone work where the opposite is happening (e.g. more people getting laid off and their former duties being shifted to the few who remain)?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Anyone work where the opposite is happening (e.g. more people getting laid off and their former duties being shifted to the few who remain)?
    Has been happening here for the last several months. Compensation is up, but we are trying to control costs. So, we are running "lean" and trying to maintain quality. There isn't an idle hand (well, other than mine, posting on INGO. Shhhhh.....). My team continues to take on more work, and find efficiencies wherever possible. My "cost per unit" is 1/3 of only a few years ago, and my productivity (number of units) is up by a factor of 6.

But, business overall is good. Revenue is up. Margins are actually improving. Costs have been flat (thanks to reduced headcount).

Top Bottom