• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...-killings-followed/744741002/?from=new-cookie

In the space of just a few days in spring 2015 – as Baltimore faced a wave of rioting after Freddie Gray, a black man, died from injuries he suffered in the back of a police van – officers in nearly every part of the city appeared to turn a blind eye to everyday violations. They still answered calls for help. But the number of potential violations they reported seeing themselves dropped by nearly half. It has largely stayed that way ever since.“What officers are doing is they’re just driving looking forward. They’ve got horse blinders on,” says Kevin Forrester, a retired Baltimore detective.
    The surge of shootings and killings that followed has left Baltimore easily the deadliest large city in the United States. Its murder rate reached an all-time high last year; 342 people were killed.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've always thought that big downtown property interests picked up the phone and explained to the city machine the problems of potential devaluation caused by the riots. Ending some political careers.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just something else to blame LE for, either way they make a good scapegoat for leftist politicians

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Every zip code (9-digit) should have to vote on the question, "Do you like policemen?"

If 50.01% or more vote yes, you get police protection.

If not, withdraw police and let it be the wild west.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I always thought this would be the foreseeable result of the Black Lives movement.

Local "resident-folk" take note: the spoiled rich white kids you're busing in to support your "movement"...won't be there to live your reality, after the protests are over.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always thought this would be the foreseeable result of the Black Lives movement.

Local "resident-folk" take note: the spoiled rich white kids you're busing in to support your "movement"...won't be there to live your reality, after the protests are over.

I always thought this was the intended results they were seeking.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    1516488957972.gif

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Policing in the US is at a crossroads. LE is either going to become more like the fire service, where officers just respond to crimes that have already occurred. Pro-active policing will be minimal, likely reserved for very specialized units. Say one gang leader is suspected of numerous rival killings, to expand his territory and power. A task force will be formed specifically to deal with that individual. The basic patrol officers will no longer just get into people's business in an attempt to discover crimes being committed. The concept of "looking beyond the traffic stop" will end, either through law or policy changes. For example, a policy might change to say that if an officer pulls someone over for a traffic violation, there will be no request to search. If the officer sees some sort of prohibited item in plain view, they would be able to take action, but without any sort of eyes on, there would be no more "fishing." Deal with the current violation, be done. This is actually being discussed in master level public safety courses at universities.

I will say that if through law or policy changes LEOs are more restricted on what they can do, we will likely see much higher levels of crime. While there are arguments that pro-active policing is discriminatory and such, the physics of pro-active policing do play a party in reducing the number of guns in the hands of criminals, reducing drug meetups that might have turned into a gunfight has one party not been stopped by the police, etc.. When these physical interactions are minimized, more drugs and guns get from Point A to Point B (and maybe a Point C, D, etc.), which means we will likely have more shootings in parking lots, alleyways, homes, etc.. I'm not arguing for one way or another, but Baltimore wasn't the first city to deal with a "depolicing" mindset. Cincinnati went through the same thing during their big shooting incident which was almost two decades ago.

I think the reason depolicing didn't spread was because of lack of social media. Now, every single questionable, if not outright bad, police shooting is spread world wide within one second. There are so many platforms discussing the issue, rallying people on both sides, etc., that governments are now having to deal with protest groups that might form within minutes, and also have the ability to rally people together at a later time and date in even larger numbers. It might have been about a year ago, but some Chicago alderman was complaining about issues like stop and frisk, then turning around and claiming police weren't doing enough to stop the violence in the community. Well we can't have both. If the police interaction with people is reduced by 75%, like I said above, more guns and drugs are going to make it from Point A to Point B. Gang banger one who is tasked with shooting at a rival gang banger will be able to walk from his home to the point of engagement. If there is no more consensual engagement from LE, or even a care to stop people for minor infractions (Say Gang banger one jaywalks and this is witnessed by the police), then there is no physical impediment of his movement, his stolen gun isn't discovered, and thus he is able to carry out his plan of walking seven blocks and opening fire on some other people selling drugs on a corner.

I have no idea where policing is heading. The future definitely will be interesting for sure.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well, internet says Chiraq is 32% white, 32% black, 13% hispanic, and 5% asian (I assume the missing 18% is more obscure ethnically or multi-racial)

Perhaps some form of running database that LEO can consult to make sure arrests are in proportion to the populations racial profile. "Whoops, [insert race here] arrests are trending; have to let you go"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, internet says Chiraq is 32% white, 32% black, 13% hispanic, and 5% asian (I assume the missing 18% is more obscure ethnically or multi-racial)

Perhaps some form of running database that LEO can consult to make sure arrests are in proportion to the populations racial profile. "Whoops, [insert race here] arrests are trending; have to let you go"

Sounds a lot like what the schools were doing in Florida....and Chiraq.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Well heck. Obviously abortions haven't trimmed the black population as much as Margaret Sanger and her Dem followers would have liked, so just let them kill each other off.

Official disclaimer, since a few on here are easily confused. I do not support abortion or letting the urban blacks kill each other off. I find Sanger and her followers immoral and oppose them as well. Hopefully even the dimmest bulb amongst us will get what I am saying now...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Well heck. Obviously abortions haven't trimmed the black population as much as Margaret Sanger and her Dem followers would have liked, so just let them kill each other off.

Official disclaimer, since a few on here are easily confused. I do not support abortion or letting the urban blacks kill each other off. I find Sanger and her followers immoral and oppose them as well. Hopefully even the dimmest bulb amongst us will get what I am saying now...

Normally you would have been taken out of context and set upon for this comment but you are in a respite period.
    The air smells sweet today.

Top Bottom