• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ground squirrels are famouse for this. I have a few friends that have had their cars attacked in this way. Especially if they set for periods of time.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I had a mouse chew through the wiring in my car twice, in a period of three months several years ago.

And I have seen turkey vultures rip the wiper blades off a car (don't know why...) in my office parking lot. We don't know whose car it was, but it was funny at the time.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Have had ground squirrels chew the wiring on 2 fuel pumps on an older truck I have. And also chewed three trailer wiring harness as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5 using Tapatalk

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    They are EVIL
    We HAD a whole hoard of squirrels that I would watch move from place to place devouring everything they wanted. Like no kidding 15 to 20 of them all working in unison.
    Until they ate my flower bulbs.
    Not anymore. I just dont know what happened to all of them ;)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Problem: why were they protecting the enemy? Woodchucks, or whistle pigs as they’re also known, have become so common in The Badger State that Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill last year that removed them from Wisconsin’s protected species list, which lifted restrictions on hunting them.

Also I noticed no ground hogs have eaten any of Steve Scalise's vehicles. Coincidence? I think not.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Using soy based plasticizer in the PVC wire insulation may have contributed to this. In the mad and stupid scramble to replace pthalates with feel good solutions mistakes are made.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I had $350 damage to wiring harness in my crown Vic due to some evil little rodent. Don’t know whether Mouse or squirrel. Hope he got a huge bellyache.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had $350 damage to wiring harness in my crown Vic due to some evil little rodent. Don’t know whether Moose or squirrel. Hope he got a huge bellyache.

ab233f83e559ab3f027c29d6b45c470e.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A "friend of a friend" had $6,000 damage done to his wiring in his RV.
    It was one of those RVs with the walls that move out, TV, stereo, tank level sensors, etc.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There are several class action lawsuits against a couple of auto makers because of wiring and other materials that are so environmentally friendly that many animals find eating motor vehicles a delicacy. My daughter was living in Wichita Falls Texas a couple of years ago and when she started her car, the check engine light came on. She drove it to the local dealer who on opening the hood were treated to a family of rats who were very happy to eat the soy based wire covers, and since rat's teeth grow, the gnawing on the copper helped there. They also liked the new hoses which also are made of modern organic material as opposed to the old stuff they didn't like.

The results of the first attack was almost $4000 in damages. The dealer ordered a repellent tape and by the time it came in, a second rat attack occurred. I was never so happy to hear her moving.

Many manufacturers are bragging about environmentally friendly components, like many interior parts including the seats. With the mice and rats being able to eat their way into the passenger compartment from the engine compartment, these new mobile food sources are going to become more popular among the vermin, and I am sure our insurance companies will raise rates on these eco-friendly food supplies.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    I bought a new Chevy PU 10 years ago. I found a job soon after that included a unmarked company van that I could use for personal business. So I rented the next door neighbors garage and stored the truck in it for 2 years. The garage was unattached and had it's share of mice. I covered the engine and interior with dryer sheets. I never had a mouse problem.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought a new Chevy PU 10 years ago. I found a job soon after that included a unmarked company van that I could use for personal business. So I rented the next door neighbors garage and stored the truck in it for 2 years. The garage was unattached and had it's share of mice. I covered the engine and interior with dryer sheets. I never had a mouse problem.

I am told some old school moth balls is a deterrent. Never tested the theory.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    New a guy who lived in the country. He got home about 8PM just ahead of falling temps and a winter storm. When he got up the next morning his car would not start. Mice had chewed up a bunch of wiring, including right at the injectors. Vehicles do not have to sit long before vermin strike.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That's a fact. Little bastards chewed up the hood latches on my Wrangler. Tried to eat the bumpers and winch plate.

ETA: Squirrels, not woodchucks in my case.

Top Bottom