• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And why did the prosecutor agree to this sentence, when he had a confession.

Probably because
    abandoned a possible insanity defense
    and:
    must follow court-ordered mental health treatment
    The court would order competency hearings, and the prosecutor may have thought it likely she'd be found incompetent.

A bit more info:
    http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-daycare-provider-who-hanged-toddler-from-noose-to-be-sentenced/488290231/

She's got 10 years back up time if I read it right. She doesn't follow through with the mental health, she can be put back in custody.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    IMHO, she needs to lose her freedom entirely, for at least 15 years......... state hospital for the criminally insane- 15 years, or state prison- 15 years.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This could only happen in a liberal, left-leaning state, in this day and age.

Ten years probation, for attempted murder of a 16-month old child. WTH is wrong with these people? Who was the judge? And why did the prosecutor agree to this sentence, when he had a confession. Unbelievable!

https://fox59.com/2018/07/16/minnesota-day-care-owner-gets-probation-for-trying-to-hang-baby-boy/

Geez, everyone knows that young kids are too light to reliably die from hanging in any reasonable amount of time. You have to pull on their legs.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Probably because and: The court would order competency hearings, and the prosecutor may have thought it likely she'd be found incompetent.

A bit more info:
    http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-daycare-provider-who-hanged-toddler-from-noose-to-be-sentenced/488290231/

She's got 10 years back up time if I read it right. She doesn't follow through with the mental health, she can be put back in custody.

So if she’s incompetent to stand trial, doesn’t that begin mandatory treatment? It does not absolve you of the crime, it simply delays prosecution until you are able to be stable enough to provide for your defense, right?

if incompetent, do you go to a state psych facility or just roam free?

i don’t get it if i’m Correct. Either way she gets treatment, but in this way she’ll never be tried

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So if she’s incompetent to stand trial, doesn’t that begin mandatory treatment? It does not absolve you of the crime, it simply delays prosecution until you are able to be stable enough to provide for your defense, right?

i don’t get it if i’m Correct. Either way she gets treatment, but in this way she’ll never be tried

I think you are correct.

However, if she goes to trial, is found not-guilty by reason of insanity (or whatever term that state uses), there may be no mandatory treatment, and if there is, it may not be for long, and she will go free.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So you can get off on “insanity” plea and then walk the streets? Sounds like a clear immediate detention criteria to me if you just tried to kill three people and you’ve officially been declared insane

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So you can get off on “insanity” plea and then walk the streets? Sounds like a clear immediate detention criteria to me if you just tried to kill three people and you’ve officially been declared insane

Some places yes, some places no. I'm no expert. They have clamped down in the defense in the last several years making mandatory treatment more common, but even then, the treatment is just until the person is deemed not to be a threat and not for a certain term of years.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    :ranton:
    I realize this may not be a popular idea, even on INGO, but I've always felt that if a person is competent enough to commit the crime, they ought to be competent enough to be punished for it--NO excuses, NO exceptions. I realize that the Law sees things differently, but I see "insanity" as a BS excuse...If they're insane, they need to be out of common society so they don't commit even more offenses, not just get to use it as an excuse to avoid consequences.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I realize this may not be a popular idea, even on INGO, but I've always felt that if a person is competent enough to commit the crime, they ought to be competent enough to be punished for it--NO excuses, NO exceptions. I realize that the Law sees things differently, but I see "insanity" as a BS excuse...If they're insane, they need to be out of common society so they don't commit even more offenses, not just get to use it as an excuse to avoid consequences.

It may not be as unpopular as you think.:yesway::yesway:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

[FONT=&amp]IC 35-36-2-3[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Finding of jury
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp] Sec. 3. In all cases in which the defense of insanity is interposed, the jury (or the court if tried by it) shall find whether the defendant is:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (1) guilty;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (2) not guilty;[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (3) not responsible by reason of insanity at the time of the crime; or[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] (4) guilty but mentally ill at the time of the crime.[/FONT]

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010

Under IC [FONT=&amp]35-36-2-3 ( https://statecodesfiles.justia.com/indiana/2015/title-35/article-36/chapter-2/chapter-2.pdf) there are 4 possible outcome as outline in BehindBlue1's post. Here's the basics and it only applies to Indiana.

Guilty, sentenced the same as if the insanity defense wasn't used

Not guilty, outcome the same as if the insanity defense wasn't used
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Not responsible by reason of insanity at the time of the crime. Results in the beginning of commitment proceedings. Whether the person is committed or not is determined at a later hearing but until that is determine the person remains in custody.
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]guilty but mentally ill at the time of the crime. Sentenced[/FONT][/FONT] in the same manner as if the person was found guilty of the offense.

Top Bottom