• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Not sure where to put this, if it needs to be moved mods feel free...

Interesting article from BBC. While I don’t agree with everything said, it was refreshing reading an approach to violence prevention that didn’t place the blame squarely on firearms ownership/availability. Their model is to intervene in the immediate aftermath and prevent violence from spreading, by using respected advocates from the areas affected by violence.

BBC - Future - Why we should treat violence like an epidemic

Criminal justice research shows deterrence (mass incarceration, tough on crime laws) to be largely ineffective. This might be a new approach that could get some results.

Interested to hear INGO’s thoughts.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'd say that conclusion about mass-incarceration requires more scrutiny. When discussing the puzzling (to them) decrease in overall violent crime in the US since the 90s "three strikes" era, Liberals twist themselves into pretzels to ratify a sanctioned explanation, citing everything from reduction in use of lead-based paints to higher abortion rates ("the criminals simply aren't getting born").

From my admittedly armchair perspective*, mass-incarceration seems to have some benefits.

(*Note: I am not an Ingotarian, nor do I play one on TV).

Last edited:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    This is something Dr Aprill has discussed in his Unthinkable class... The mindset of Violent Criminal Actors vs how "normal" minds work.
    He is scheduled to be in IN twice over the next six months, so opportunities abound to get in on the discussion!

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    This is something Dr Aprill has discussed in his Unthinkable class... The mindset of Violent Criminal Actors vs how "normal" minds work.
    He is scheduled to be in IN twice over the next six months, so opportunities abound to get in on the discussion!

When I try to check out his website, I can’t pull up event dates. Just says “no events found.” Can you point me to where they will be held? Sounds like an interesting topic.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Didn't get past the first page. First the tagline, "From Chicago to Glasgow, treating violence like an infectious disease has had impressive results." Chicago? Really? Strike 1.

Then the statement, "In 2005, the United Nations published a report declaring Scotland the most violent country in the developed world." Often see the underlined phrase in articles so they can cherry pick the data to show what they want to show. Bottom line - there are many countries far more violent/dangerous than Scotland (on the order of 130 something countries with higher murder rates for example). Strike 2.

No more time for this article. Sorry.

Top Bottom