• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    https://www.advocate.com/youth/2018/9/11/study-more-half-trans-male-teens-attempt-suicide

this is so sad. What’s even worse is their “advocates” are blaming society for it. They are saying it shows we as a society need to urgently become more welcoming to the lifestyle as over half of transgender males have attempted suicide.

or... it shows a mental illness with massive suicide risk is being ignored and we are hurting these poor kids by telling them it’s society that is wrong.

I hope history judges us poorly for how we are handling this. Because that would mean we figured it out later and got these kids help

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yep. Profoundly sad. It’s not society that causes the depression, despair and suicide, it’s whatever is compelling them to reject who they are.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. Profoundly sad. It’s not society that causes the depression, despair and suicide, it’s whatever is compelling them to reject who they are.

I have to agree with this.

It is terribly sad. And it is also wrong that we (society) are blamed for the problems folks are experiencing. I grow weary of this.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    https://www.advocate.com/youth/2018/9/11/study-more-half-trans-male-teens-attempt-suicide

this is so sad. What’s even worse is their “advocates” are blaming society for it. They are saying it shows we as a society need to urgently become more welcoming to the lifestyle as over half of transgender males have attempted suicide.

or... it shows a mental illness with massive suicide risk is being ignored and we are hurting these poor kids by telling them it’s society that is wrong.

I hope history judges us poorly for how we are handling this. Because that would mean we figured it out later and got these kids help

Given who's writing that history, I wouldn't hold my breath.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    When they say transgender males, do they mean people who started out life as people who do NOT have pee pees, but now they want to be people who DO have pee pees? Or do they mean people who started out life as people who DO have pee pees, but now they want to be people who do NOT have pee pees?

So confused by the terminology...

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Growing up is rough. Hell, I had the worst time in middle/high school and I was straight. Kids are mean, regardless of what you believe or think. I was mean.... especially to some kids that might have fit this group....

I have changed over the years.. the golden rule is what I believe, how I teach my kids, regardless... people are different

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    With a 50% suicide rate do you think there’s something else in common with these folks that’s more significant than living a life opposed to their genetics?
    Perhaps. But correlation does not always equal causation. I would be interested in seeng study data though.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Perhaps. But correlation does not always equal causation. I would be interested in seeng study data though.

Of course it doesn’t. But you have a group of people who have significant mental illness and are being told by those who supposedly care that they are totally normal and it’s everyone else who is wrong. Untreated severe mental illness leads to increased rate of suicide? This is my shocked face :runaway:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2018/09/07/peds.2017-4218

women attempt more than men in general. But men are successful more often. It’s curious that female to male attempt more often, same as non-transgendered. As it would be expected for female to male still being female...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I remember reading in the past that even in societies that are more supportive of their situation, the suicide rate is still extremely high.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    When they say transgender males, do they mean people who started out life as people who do NOT have pee pees, but now they want to be people who DO have pee pees? Or do they mean people who started out life as people who DO have pee pees, but now they want to be people who do NOT have pee pees?

So confused by the terminology...

In trans-speak a "trans male" is a biological female who believes themselves to be male.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Exactly. This is not bully-induced suicide
    Oh, I would guess bullying factors into a fair percent, but we are talking about a situation where you already have the psychological stress of a perceived "reality" all of your senses tells you is not a physical reality.

I am in complete agreement that promoting the idea that there is no such thing as actual reality is a recipe for disaster for these kids. It now it seems to be fashionable to try and convince your kid that he or she should have a mental disorder.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh, I would guess bullying factors into a fair percent, but we are talking about a situation where you already have the psychological stress of a perceived "reality" all of your senses tells you is not a physical reality.

I am in complete agreement that promoting the idea that there is no such thing as actual reality is a recipe for disaster for these kids. It now it seems to be fashionable to try and convince your kid that he or she should have a mental disorder.

Back in my day we had to do this through the use of hallucinogens. Dang kids today... :oldwise:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Of course it doesn’t. But you have a group of people who have significant mental illness and are being told by those who supposedly care that they are totally normal and it’s everyone else who is wrong. Untreated severe mental illness leads to increased rate of suicide? This is my shocked face :runaway:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2018/09/07/peds.2017-4218

women attempt more than men in general. But men are successful more often. It’s curious that female to male attempt more often, same as non-transgendered. As it would be expected for female to male still being female...
    What is the mental illness not being treated? Gender Dysphoria?

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I wonder if there is an element of this (article) at play, of some sorts. Teen suicide rates in the Pacific island area are exceedingly higher than in the rest of the world, seem to be a rite of passage of sorts. I would be curious, of the American trans teens, how many of them had signs of suicidal ideations/at-risk behaviors/mindsets. Definitely, it's a complex mess.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/03/06/us/micronesia-s-male-suicide-rate-defies-solution.html

Top Bottom