• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/im...deny-visas-green-cards-immigrants-who-n910791

Immigrants who receive more than $1,821 annually, 15 percent of the federal poverty guidelines, in benefits that can be monetized would also be disqualified from receiving green cards and visas.

Good. As long as there is an exception for spouses and immediately family of citizens I'm all for this. I don't want to see PFC Snuffy's wife deported because they need food stamps, but folks with no ties to this country? Nope.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Once again, the general concept of "the country should be governed, primarily, for the benefit of its citizens" will be tested.

So far, in a variety of policy areas, it seems like a foreign concept, and is being foamed up into a scandal by many who are opposed to it. Trade, immigration, various treaties, you name it. I never dreamed the idea would be so controversial.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Once again, the general concept of "the country should be governed, primarily, for the benefit of its citizens" will be tested.

So far, in a variety of policy areas, it seems like a foreign concept, and is being foamed up into a scandal by many who are opposed to it. Trade, immigration, various treaties, you name it. I never dreamed the idea would be so controversial.

IMO It is only controversial because both parties see the issue as a political leverage mechanism, not as something they want a functional solution to.

A functional immigration system doesn’t allowed either side to drum up support by railing about either “the rule of law” or “human rights.”

Outside of those who have been granted asylum status or are the immediate family of a citizen, I have a hard time stomaching the concept of being a guest here and being reliant on public assistance.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    See, this is the problem with Trump. This IS a good policy.... the problem is, he sucks at being able to relate it to masses. Rather, he'll single out a group, as if they alone are the targets, ignoring the policy's overall intent, and immediately create opposition to it. I'm waiting to see if he's going to "biff" up this policy, one I actually support.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    See, this is the problem with Trump. This IS a good policy.... the problem is, he sucks at being able to relate it to masses. Rather, he'll single out a group, as if they alone are the targets, ignoring the policy's overall intent, and immediately create opposition to it. I'm waiting to see if he's going to "biff" up this policy, one I actually support.

I think that is actually intentional, he is much more interested in promoting this as part of the MAGA train then making it about broadly acceptable policy.

It is a political ploy that he has benefited from greatly in the past.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you keep having kids and are on welfare you should be kicked off too. Citizens I mean.
    No, zero, nada, zippo, non citizen immigrants should be on welfare. If you cant feed and cloth and house yourself then do not ****ing come here, hell no.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    See, this is the problem with Trump...

The problem with "Everybody Else," is that if "E.E" were in charge, we wouldn't even be allowed to discuss this policy proposal. At. All. Because they'd be too afraid of offending...well. Someone. Anyone.

Maybe we need somebody to stake out the other end of the spectrum, before we can find the middle?

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I think that is actually intentional, he is much more interested in promoting this as part of the MAGA train then making it about broadly acceptable policy.

It is a political ploy that he has benefited from greatly in the past.

this is a cause and a symptom of the problem: a horribly ineffective immigration system where there is NO incentive to take the hard steps needed for reform. The great many of us in the middle are being shouted out by the zealots on both fringes.

The immigration system has evolved piecemeal, is outdated, overly complicated, and records are frequently paper based. When the system is hard to hard to navigate or comply, the easier but unlawful alternatives start looking good- good to employers who need cheap labor, good to immigrants who can't or won't navigate the system, good to family members we have trouble coming together with their citizen or lawful permanent resident loved ones. If it is too hard to do it 'right,' they only a few will go to the trouble .

Top Bottom