• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I am being told by the Vigo Co sheriff my Class IIIa bullet resistant vests are not legal for me to own as I m not military nor an LEO. This is news to me, I called the Stater and my Co to ask before I bought them….anyone point me to a place to show them with a link that I can own them or not is appreciated.:ingo:

If I posted this in the wrong place Mods, please move it to where it belongs. :dunno:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Doing some searching i cant find an actual law to the legality. All i can find is that it is a class 6 felony if wearing it during comission of a crime.
    Im under the assumption that as long as you are not a felon it is legal in Indiana.
    Hopefully someone can come along with actual indiana code on the matter for you

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The law doesn't state what is "legal"
    The law states what is "illegal"
    Ask him to provide the law, since you can't find it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    IC 35-47-5-13
    Unlawful use of body armor
    Sec. 13.
    (a) As used in this section, "body armor" means bullet resistant metal or other material worn by a person to provide protection from weapons or bodily injury.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor while committing a felony commits unlawful use of body armor, a Class D felony.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://www.realitycheckxtreme.com/pages/body-armor-laws
    Indiana
    In Indiana, any adult can purchase and use a bulletproof vest, unless that adult has been convicted of a felony. Bulletproof vests and all other body armor can be purchased online or face-to-face.

A person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor while committing a felony commits unlawful use of body armor, a Class D felony (up until July 2014, when a new law takes effect). The new law states that a person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor while committing a felony commits unlawful use of body armor, a Level 6 felony. Again, this law effects criminals, not retailers.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I am being told by the Vigo Co sheriff my Class IIIa bullet resistant vests are not legal for me to own as I m not military nor an LEO. This is news to me, I called the Stater and my Co to ask before I bought them….anyone point me to a place to show them with a link that I can own them or not is appreciated.:ingo:

If I posted this in the wrong place Mods, please move it to where it belongs. :dunno:

INAL but I suspect this is just another case of cops being terrible lawyers.

Contact Guy Relford.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, this is the "IndyStar" so take it with a grain of salt

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2014/09/19/guess-weapons-illegal-indiana/15844701/

Bulletproof vests
    Can I own them? Yes.
    While not technically a weapon, possession and use of body armor by civilians can be controversial. At least one congressman has reportedly proposed banning body armor on a federal level. In Indiana, you can own and wear a bulletproof vest, but state law says "a person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor while committing a felony" is guilty of another felony, a Level 6.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I guess us lowly citizens can't own an armored vehicles either :dunno:

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    IANAL but can read IC Code. They are not illegal unless used in commission of a felony. Heck, if it were illegal to merely own lots of us would be in trouble.

I would be interested in the context of this however. How did he even know that you owned this protection?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wouldn't this be something for your lawyer to handle vs. INGOers?

Yes, but sometimes INGO can be used to flesh out whether the discussion needs to be had with said attorney or if its a waste of time.

And yes, Sheriff needs to show his work. I've never heard of any such nonsense outside of "during the commission of a crime". Never heard of mere possession being criminal.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Thanks, I just had them at home, never wore it let alone committed any felonies so I hope to get them back eventually.:dunno:

So what your really saying is that your body armor was better than the Sheriff Deputy's so he confiscated it. I wonder if from his point of view he just got an upgrade in equipment at no cost?

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Am inclined to think any Sheriff willing to confiscate said items would not be inclined to return same items on verbal argument from grieved party.

While I'm not a lawyer and don't give out legal advice...I am better looking than most I see in televised commercial and figured I'd share my handsome opinion as a means to bookmark this thread.

Top Bottom