Philosophical question: Should women have the right to vote?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just a question raised in the Kavanaugh thread. Thought I'd move the conversation here. Surprisingly, some women think women shouldn't have the right to vote. 88GT has posted that sentiment here. And so has Blonde in the Belly of the Beast (a right-wing female youtube personality.)

I'd like to know if someone can make a rational case for women not voting. Saying they're too emotional is a far too stereotypical rationale.

Of course there are personality differences between men and women. It's just that it's wrong to punish or reward a whole group for no other reason than because some, or many, or most of a group acts a certain way. And that's a sort of problem that Western society has largely solved, that importance of individual attribution is more a valuable principle for determining policy than group attribution.

Another problem Western society has solved is the tendency for violence in men. I'm not saying that all men are violent, or that no women are violent. We're not nomadic bands of rapists. We've ordered our societies such that violence has mostly been eliminated. We haven't figured that out for the tendencies of women.

Yes. Studies confirm what we all experience. Women tend to be more emotional than men, but like the fact that not all men are violent, not all women ruled by emotion. And women do tend to use means other than violence to resolve conflicts. They tend to use shaming, and social pressure. And that's what we're seeing a lot more of today, as women take more and more leadership in society. It's definitely a problem unique to Western society. And it's something that we haven't figured out, to protect society against group shaming like what the #metoo movement has become, like we have with group violence.

Allowing men to vote hasn't increased violence in men. Hopefully allowing women to vote won't increase their ability to harm society by directing groups against individuals and other groups. I's certainly something society needs to figure out. Being afraid to live your life as you see fit, for fear violent people will attack you is debilitating. Being afraid to live your life as you see fit, for fear shame mobs will ruin your life, get you fired, etcetera is a problem yet to be solved.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    What about the male snowflakes? Aren't they too emotional too, then?
    The people who cause the most harm to the vote are the media and people who don't educate themselves or research the candidates and issues. Admittedly, it's getting harder to do research and find facts, seems nobody has to state facts or the truth anymore.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    This should not be a serious question. Every citizen of proper age, of sound mind and with no restriction to their natural rights, should absolutely be eligible to vote.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Way to step up INGO and give proof that Conservative gun owners are as backwards as Liberals claim. The mere fact that this question was asked without joking is actually quite sad.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think that any adult who can pass a simple, non-partisan civics exam should have the right to vote. I don’t even care what language the test is given in.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Indeed. We might as well make all sorts of changes while we have the States onboard to a new amendment. Be careful what we ask for, we might just get it.

So you’re thinking the whole topic is describing actual plans and not just spitallin’ some off the wall thoughts? Interesting.

Top Bottom