• ...and so much more!
  • Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    For the last three weeks I have been attending the Marion County Prosecutors Office's presentation of the Community Justice Academy. The topics so far have been pretty run of the mill. Juvenile Delinquency, Bail Setting and Capital Punishment.

Next week the topic is "The Need for Sensible Gun Laws". The presenters for this session are going to be Terry Curry and a rep from Moms Demand Action.

Yes... I have been sitting squarely in the middle of the lion's den and have managed to survive so far.

What I would like to get from INGO are some questions to ask the presenters on this topic.

I know that there are many on here that are more familiar with Mr Curry and his record/stance on this subject than I am. I pretty much now what MDA is about.

I'm not sure where this upcoming presentation will end up, but I can imagine given the fact that Moms will be there and the wording of the topic.

Who is willing to help me formulate some thought-provoking, hard-hitting questions for me to ask?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is there any jurisdiction in the US that has enacted significant gun control in the last 40 years and crime has gone down?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, I've got more. :)

In light of the state pre-emption and the Supreme Court rulings, what do they think they can do?

EMDX6043

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2015
    Hammond
    J Who is willing to help me formulate some thought-provoking said:
    giphy.gif

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    What do you really think you can accomplish with 400 million guns already in the country?

I know this sounds like an unsatisfying question to many members of the "gun community," because it makes it sound like we're accepting the premise that the total number of guns should be reduced. But that's the point. In my experiences dealing with anti-gunners, this question stops them colder and deader than any question I can put to them. Because it gets them into a conversation about reducing the "number" of guns, instead of "who" has the guns...which is exactly the opposite of what they say when they propose new laws. It tricks them into bringing some actual truth about their agenda into play, without them realizing it.

They usually throw up their hands in despair and say something like, "we have to start somewhere," or that all-time favorite, "all I know is more guns is not the answer." At which point you "snap the trap" and say, "But wait a minute: I thought you said you weren't trying to reduce gun ownership - just keep them out of the wrong hands?"

Last edited:

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Thanks everyone. I'm not sure I'll be able to engage in a back and forth discussion, but I do like the idea of questions that will shift their agenda.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How are you going to get a criminal to follow the law?

Criminals turned down from buying a gun are not prosecuted. The reason given, is that there are not the resources to do that.
    If that is true, then what good would another law be?
    (maybe bring the actual number or percentage of people charged. I don't remember the number)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Since violent crime has dropped over the last several decades at the same time that gun ownership was skyrocketing, wouldn’t new gun control seem counterintuitive?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Since violent crime has dropped over the last several decades at the same time that gun ownership was skyrocketing, wouldn’t new gun control seem counterintuitive?

The problem with that stat for Indy is that the headlines talk about record numbers of murders. The people who will present at this evening appear more interested in the local angle.

I think the approach related to the one you mention is the question: who is doing the killing in Indy? Criminals mostly killing criminals (following up on Act's points). The innocent people that get killed are either intentional victims of the criminals (shooting someone while robbing them) or bystanders getting killed accidentally.

So, what are we doing to keep criminals in prison and rehabilitate them (yes, that can still be a thing). If the criminals don't care if they break the law, more laws against having guns aren't going to matter to them. That's an obvious fact.

And maybe that leads to another interesting question: are they aware of ANY situation where a criminal opted not to use a gun because it was illegal or the sentence would be more significant?

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I have done some research and it appears that about 14% of the population (age 18yr+) of Marion County have a LTCH.* I wonder how I can find out how many in Marion County are considered to be prohibited persons. That would be an interesting statistic.

*Based on estimated population as of July 2017 by the US Census and the 2017 ISP report of LTCHs issued as of 1/1/2018.

Top Bottom