• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I traveled to a small town, pop 2500, in northeast Ohio on Sunday to see a high school play in which my wife's cousin's daughter had the lead. (Cousin once removed? Niece? Anyway - family) The play was Oklahoma. The male lead, Curly, comes on stage with a six gun on his belt. I'm aghast. Is it real? Is it loaded? A few scenes later during "Poor Jud is dead" both Curly and Jud fire their six guns. By now it is obvious they are toys because of the orange muzzle breaks. A bit latter Aunt Eller points one of these guns at the farmers and cowboys. How is this allowed to happen in 2018? How did these weapons get onto school property? How are the faculty advisors allowed to keep their jobs? Why aren't these students expelled?
    In summary, I was impressed with the talent these kids showed and the small town common sense and values that were apparent during our visit. My guess, Oklahoma could not be performed in the Indianapolis schools.
    For you youngsters on INGO, rent the movie. Be warned, it's a musical.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    what you failed to understand because its not seen by tge viewers is the background paperwork.

the play director had to fill out a school play movie prop form 6 months before the play even got approved.

the principal reviews it and then informs the school board.
    the school board reviews it and forms a committee to allow the safe passage of the fake gun onto school property and the control of fake gun while on school property.

i could go on but i wont bore u with the detail.s

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    My wife is a High School history teacher. When she covers the Civil War, her minister who is a reenactor brings in several period rifles and cap and bal pistols. No powder/caps. The administration knows about this and is really ok.

Don

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There are still millions of rural Americans out there that don't get tied up in knots about lefty stuff. The lefties are working to identify them and destroy their way of life, but they haven't gotten to all of them yet.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    There are still millions of rural Americans out there that don't get tied up in knots about lefty stuff. The lefties are working to identify them and destroy their way of life, but they haven't gotten to all of them yet.
    That is why I didn't identify the school or community.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

It's a long hike out here to the GSF.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I do Civil War Navy programs for history classes. Problems depend on the school. Our local allowed me to bring in everything without issue. Another more rural school had their school resource officer meet me in the parking lot so he could zip-tie all the hammers of various weapons. Didn't bring any powder or caps, but that made no difference. They didn't have any problem with large edged weapons.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    My wife is a High School history teacher. When she covers the Civil War, her minister who is a reenactor brings in several period rifles and cap and bal pistols. No powder/caps. The administration knows about this and is really ok.

Don

western civ/social studies teacher did that in 7th or 8th grade, would have been late 90s tho. I bet HE was the one who set me down this path of villainous interest in guns. Villagers get your pitchforks!

He also had the class make sauerkraut the old fashioned way... bury a bucket of cabbage for a few months.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I do Civil War Navy programs for history classes. Problems depend on the school. Our local allowed me to bring in everything without issue. Another more rural school had their school resource officer meet me in the parking lot so he could zip-tie all the hammers of various weapons. Didn't bring any powder or caps, but that made no difference. They didn't have any problem with large edged weapons.

Two examples of silliness.
    A sword in close range against unarmed targets? Pretty devastating.
    The tie wrap thing. Well, no caps or powder, though I guess the case could be made that you might have snuck some in. But, if you did, pretty sure a tie wrap wouldn't be much for an hindrance.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Two examples of silliness.
    A sword in close range against unarmed targets? Pretty devastating.
    The tie wrap thing. Well, no caps or powder, though I guess the case could be made that you might have snuck some in. But, if you did, pretty sure a tie wrap wouldn't be much for an hindrance.

I always carry my sword to gun shows to cut the zip ties off my guns when I leave. :)

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Don

My 8th grade history teacher came to class one day in full redcoat regalia and fired a musket ( about 1/3 load, no ball) out the window of the classroom.

Several other teachers ran in to see just what in the hell just happened.

Yeah, I paid attention in that class

Top Bottom