• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    It's to bad they cannot with hold congressional pay during a government shutdown, but since they won't and since it looks like there will be a shutdown, what else might be done to get the 5 billion dollars to build the wall.

I here where some guy started a go fund me page to raise money for the wall and has collected like 3 or 9 million dollars so far.

How about if the American people donated to fund the wall and deducted it from their taxes to show Congress that we want the wall.

Discussion is now open.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think there should be a rule that, when the government shuts down, all of the water, sewer, gas, and electric utilities should also be shut down, everywhere.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    87% of the US spending budget is on autopay anyway. So we are only talking about shutting down 13% of the government. I say SHUT IT DOWN until the wall is paid for!!!!!!!!!

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    It's to bad they cannot with hold congressional pay during a government shutdown, but since they won't and since it looks like there will be a shutdown, what else might be done to get the 5 billion dollars to build the wall.

I here where some guy started a go fund me page to raise money for the wall and has collected like 3 or 9 million dollars so far.

How about if the American people donated to fund the wall and deducted it from their taxes to show Congress that we want the wall.

Discussion is now open.

https://www.gofundme.com/TheTrumpWall

it’s over 12 million now.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Discussion is now open.

Make Mexico pay for it. I mean that's what the original premise was, wasn't it?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy

Yes, and it will the way Trump sees it, but it depends on trade across the border to get it done.
    But with the border shut down trade has slowed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Yes, and it will the way Trump sees it, but it depends on trade across the border to get it done.
    But with the border shut down trade has slowed.

Serious question. Do you think the erection of this wall will have noticeable effect on preventing illegal immigration? ...at least enough to justify it's cost? I do not. We're not building a wall like the one in Israel. We are building a simple, easily defeated, wall.
    The way to curb illegal immigration, is to deter people wanting to come here. That starts with the reason people want to come here, employment. Go after the employers, not the potential employees. Setup a task force with the purpose of finding and prosecuting those that knowingly hire illegals. Smack them on the wrist the first time, and them hammer them if they have a second instance.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Serious question. Do you think the erection of this wall will have noticeable effect on preventing illegal immigration? ...at least enough to justify it's cost? I do not. We're not building a wall like the one in Israel. We are building a simple, easily defeated, wall.
    The way to curb illegal immigration, is to deter people wanting to come here. That starts with the reason people want to come here, employment. Go after the employers, not the potential employees. Setup a task force with the purpose of finding and prosecuting those that knowingly hire illegals. Smack them on the wrist the first time, and them hammer them if they have a second instance.

Stop making sense. People want simple answers that they can understand. It's on both sides of politics.

For example here...Simple solution that is incorrect: build a wall. Yeah that'll do it...

On the other side w/ Democrats: Uptick in "mass shootings" Ban high capacity magazines / rifles etc.

Both solutions are incorrect and you are 100% correct in getting to the root cause of the problem and 90% of people just want a simple fix.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I tried to raise that argument in other thread discussing this...

Planet Money had a podcast on the last wall building... the takeaway was that each American paid $7 for the wall and it had zero impact on most jobs except unskilled labor where the change was minimal.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    https://hollingsworth.house.gov/news/email/show.aspx?ID=M54BVPOHLFZ4W

banner4.jpg

Hoosiers,

Last night I voted YES on the funding bill which includes $5 billion for the border wall. Bottom line: you have consistently demanded a secure southern border to keep our neighborhoods, and our nation, safe.

Now that the House has come to an agreement, I hope the Senate will pass our bill and send it to the President's desk for his signature, ensuring stability and a fully-funded American government.

As we head into the new 116th Congress after the New Year, I will continue to fight for conservative and Hoosier values. Your thoughts and concerns are important to me as I work to represent you, so please continue to reach out and share your ideas.

Be of good cheer,
    2d856e27-a77c-4629-b17b-a14cee32758b.png

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Of course building a wall would slow illegal immigration.

what would do more to stop illegal immigration though is removing birthright citizenship, outlawing illegals from receiving welfare, and instituting foreign worker programs where you register in your home country at our facilities.

Something like 800 million people world wide said they want to come to America. It’s time we take our borders and citizenship seriously

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have lived through several shutdowns in the past and never notice any change... I wouldn't have know anything was going on except for the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have lived through several shutdowns in the past and never notice any change... I wouldn't have know anything was going on except for the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

What about when Obama closed off a wide open and public space at the World War II Memorial in DC.

I agree, shut it down. The problem is most of it is already funded. We need a tea party round two.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well I searched google for National monuments being blocked by park police, keeping Honor Flight Veterans from going to the WWII memorial. There are no photos or articles about, so I am assuming it never happened.

Google = Minitru

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Of course building a wall would slow illegal immigration.

what would do more to stop illegal immigration though is removing birthright citizenship, outlawing illegals from receiving welfare, and instituting foreign worker programs where you register in your home country at our facilities.

Something like 800 million people world wide said they want to come to America. It’s time we take our borders and citizenship seriously

I'm in the "Sure, why not" camp on building the wall.

But, knowing what I know about how politicians and government works, I can't help but feel that there's a reason for Trump's words "Build that Wall!" as opposed to "Stop Illegal Immigration!"

And when our government builds a wall, how could we expect anything other than a wall that will:

1. Cost more than 5 b's to build.
    2. Take longer to build than promised.
    3. Be less effective than advertised.

But, even so, I say "Sure, why not?"

Top Bottom