• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Here’s a project by the South Florida Sun Sentinel on the Parkland shooting at Majory Stoneman Douglas High Schhol. It shows just how many failures there were.

Diffentaly worth a look.

UNPREPARED AND OVERWHELMED

Two decades after Columbine and five years after Sandy Hook, educators and police still weren’t ready for Parkland.

Failures by the Broward County Sheriff’s Office and school district cost children their lives at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
    A gunman with an AR-15 fired the bullets, but a series of blunders, bad policies, sketchy training and poor leadership helped him succeed. Information reported over 10 months by the South Florida Sun Sentinel reveals 58 minutes of chaos on campus marked by no one taking charge, deputies dawdling, false information spreading, communications paralyzed and children stranded with nowhere to hide.
    To be sure, a number of teachers and police officers performed heroically. But an examination of the day’s events reveals that the Sheriff’s Office and school district were unprepared for the crisis.
    Here’s a minute-by-minute look at those critical moments on Feb. 14, 2018.

UNPREPARED AND OVERWHELMED | South Florida Sun Sentinel | Sun Sentinel

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If all that is accurate, the entire Broward County Sherrif's department should be disbanded. Anyone calling for more gun control after that clusterfark should be punched in the throat.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    And remember, everyone:

1) Each individual child in the world is a precious vessel of unlimited potential, who needs only the correct conditions in which to thrive. It is our job to find out what those conditions are, and provide them.

2) There are no bad kids. Just kids in bad situations. We believe in the inherent value of every, single individual. Our American Values require it.

3) All interactions between law enforcement and our modern education system must be structured around this belief.

Purple ink, however, will not be provided for those lacking imagination.

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Yep, but nobody reported it because that would make their "stats" look bad and they could lose part of their suckle at the federal teat. Who was it that created that program and incentive? :scratch:

Fortunately, that program was just recently scrapped by Betsy Devos and the Education Dept. However, as similar actions on rescinding the blatantly anti-male Title IX sexual assault rules showed, revoking the guidance doesn't mean the schools will actually change their policies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yep, but nobody reported it because that would make their "stats" look bad and they could lose part of their suckle at the federal teat. Who was it that created that program and incentive? :scratch:
    Trump.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Many schools in this state are just as woefully unprepared for such an event at this time.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Ok, working with some of these students is challenging. There could be better communication about some potential serious problems but HIPAA prevents it. It is a delicate balancing act between privacy and potential. We are very insistent on our rights as adults to privacy so that none of our personal info is misused. Why not the same for a minor?

Having said that, it appears the Parkland shooter had contacts with the authorities concerning violent behavior in the past. This is a disconnect that should be addressed.

School is a forming process for where ever we end up as adults. My personal goal is to exemplify and teach honesty, integrity and a work ethic. This crosses all lines of society.

Being successful is variable. Are you successful if you are a CEO making millions? or raising hardworking kids in the trades? Having integrity is a must.

Don

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Both my parents were teachers. Both were educated here in Indiana with degrees from Oakland City, IU and my dad also had one from Butler. They were able to see the coming changes to the institution before everyone else was able to notice the outcome.

Teachers know what is going on. They can see problems in the system, but they have no way to influence outcome other than one child at a time.

Could you imagine, every day, going to work in a classroom and looking out over 30 or so faces and trying to decide which ones you might be able to save?

Historically I would say they are in the role of the prophet Jeremiah, the crying prophet. They know what is going to happen, they shout it on the street corners and no one listens.

Now we want to add to their responsibilities. Besides having to triage for abuse, health, special needs, emotional needs AND education we want to simply toss them a firearm and say, "just do the best you can..."

They deserve better. Our children deserve better. There is no simple fix to the problems we face in our society. There is no cheap and easy fix. And if we continue to be reactive rather than proactive there just won't be a fix...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Who wants to toss firearms at teachers and say good luck? The ideas i’ve Seen say “let’s stop DISARMING teachers”. There’s a big difference

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Who wants to toss firearms at teachers and say good luck? The ideas i’ve Seen say “let’s stop DISARMING teachers”. There’s a big difference
    Exactly. I’m pretty sure it’s a given that anyone who may be a proponent of armed faculty is also a proponent of that same faculty being willing and responsible participants that have a working knowledge of firearms.

I certainly wouldn’t advocate just shoving a firearm in anyone’s hands that are unwilling to take on that role.

That’s a recipe for disaster from the get go.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Exactly. I’m pretty sure it’s a given that anyone who may be a proponent of armed faculty is also a proponent of that same faculty being willing and responsible participants that have a working knowledge of firearms.

I certainly wouldn’t advocate just shoving a firearm in anyone’s hands that are unwilling to take on that role.

That’s a recipe for disaster from the get go.

This Fox59 article shows that the Stoneman Douglas shooting commission, UNANIMOUSLY recommended arming teachers "who volunteer that option and undergo intense firearms training". This, I agree with, and I don't feel it's a case of "handing a teacher a firearm and saying 'good luck'.... at all.

https://fox59.com/2019/01/02/florida-school-shooting-commission-recommends-arming-teachers/

Black Smoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Hamilton County
    I was an instructor for Ivy Tech for 15 years and had 1 student who I felt could be a threat because of his outbursts in the class after he received test results back. He would shout out in class that my grading was unfair and why did I deduct points and why was I picking on him. It freaked the other students out too. I reported the student's conduct to my supervisor who reported it to the admin weenies.

I was interviewed by an admin official who continually smirked at me while I expressed my concerns. I could tell immediately she was a big lib and she was there to protect the dipstick. I have experience with suicidal/homicidal dipsticks as I was a Drill Sergeant at Fort Benning, Georgia for 2-years. Whenever on a live fire range I always carried a loaded weapon and gave ammunition to trusted privates with orders to "f&$@king kill them (the active shooter)" to help stop a mass murder by a homesick private if it happened. Whenever I felt that a private was experiencing mental issues, I'd have a mental health professional pose as a new private and monitor the person I was concerned about. All of the privates that I had monitored were discharged due to unsuitability. By the way, the kevlar helmet does a very good job of containing the brain and skull parts when a private puts a M-16 in their mouth and squeezes off a round.

The student kept their book bag on their desktop and frequently placed their hands in the book bag with me expecting them to pull a weapon out. I tried to teach while being distracted by the student's hand actions; it was a challenge to teach. The other students openly spoke about their resignation of being shot and killed by this student. There was only 1 door to the classroom at the front and the student sat in the last row at the back of the class. I agonized about what to do if he became an active shooter since I was the closest to the door. Do I stay and attempt to assist the other students, or get out and try to get help?

To make a long story short, the school, myself and the student eventually agreed that the student would take some tests and test out of the course which was 16-weeks long. I believe we got him tested out in the 6th week of the course. Me and the rest of the class were on pins and needles during this time. Other Ivy Tech instructors had concerns about this student too. Later, upon investigating the student further, Ivy Tech discovered that the student had hacked into my email account and other instructor email accounts, he also hacked into Ivy Tech's grading system and attempted to alter his grades. The last I heard, he was suspended from school.

I feel that the only way school shootings will stop is if an active shooter targets the school administration especially the big wigs. Once that happens, maybe these threats will be taken more seriously. The instructors and students are merely cannon fodder and are expendable.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    In an environment where the teachers are having to buy their own supplies for the classroom because there is no money available, just where is the money for training coming from?

It is easy to answer "oh the state" or "surely the government", but thus far "they" have either divested themselves of the current needs or said you'll just have to make due with what you are given.

The best to be hoped for is some one time stop gap resolution for all the press to see and then it will go back to business as usual which is demanding the maximum return on a minimum investment.

To think I am irrational with the "toss them a gun and say do the best you can", you are right. There is no way the school administration would either buy the weapon or be willing to accept the legal responsibility of having provided one.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is not anywhere near social justice enough for 2019.
    And remember, everyone:

1) Each individual child in the world is a precious vessel of unlimited [STRIKE]potential[/STRIKE] [genders], who needs only the correct conditions in which to thrive. It is our job to [STRIKE]find out what those conditions are,[/STRIKE] [exploit our positions of authority] and [maximize exposure to the standards of social justice].

2) There are no bad kids. Just kids [STRIKE]in bad situations[/STRIKE] [under the influence of the alt-right and people who enable it]. We believe in the inherent value of every, single individual [of color]. Our [STRIKE]American[/STRIKE] [Progressive Values require it. America is an evil patriarchy which oppresses women, gender-fluid, non-binary furries, and people of color.]

3) All interactions between [the inherently racist institution of] law enforcement and our modern education system must be [deconstructed and rebuilt] around this belief.

Purple ink, however, will not be provided for those lacking imagination.

Took a good bit of rewording to bring it closer to current standards.

Top Bottom