Is The Government Shutdown Affecting You Directly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I have a couple small contracts with military suppliers, and I'm getting paid.

I also have a grand-niece, she is TSA, her husband is Coast Guard enlisted and I just had to pay the rent for them, they aren't getting paid but MUST report to work.
    They can't even quit and get new jobs as long as the government is shut down, and they are specifically forbidden to have second jobs.

The local Coast Guard is paying officers, but the enlisted aren't getting paid since they fall under Homeland security.
    He works the local river port at the locks...

Now, keep in mind she has student loans, she had to do two years of college and take several classes at her own expense to get the job she has... She's an explosives detection expert.

These a long hours, low paying, always on call jobs they chose to help people & make everyone safer, and they can't even get food stamps or housing assistance.
    Both have been working double or even triple shifts since so many are 'Sick Outs' and they have to fill in for those that won't work.

To make things even worse, she has been 'Lent Out' to other airports having to drive as much as 2-1/2 hours each way, at her own expense, to cover for people that won't work...
    She doesn't get paid for the commute, they just tell her to 'Report' to where ever and she's expected to be there.

I've lent her a high milage, newer car, give her a gas card, and now paid the rent, and keep in mind her student loans not getting paid is jacking up the interest rate and causing late fees/penalities, so she can do a thankless job for NO PAY...

I'll take them in if needed, but I just think this is serious when they can't pay TSA & Coast Guard.
    Homeland sent them a 'Memo' saying they don't know 'When', or even 'If' they will be paid for the shutdown time, that's up to Congress when the shutdown ends...
    Doesn't matter, their credit ratings are going into the toilet, and in case you don't know, that credit rating is considered when they get security clearance, raises & promotions. Their entire careers are in the toilet right now...

Also keep in mind that many health care workers FOR the VA are not working. (Contract workers, people & civilian hospitals).
    Our veterans (including me) aren't getting the treatment they need, I'm just lucky I don't have a serious condition at this very moment, but what about the veterans that need serious help RIGHT NOW?

I don't know, and don't care which side of 'The Wall' you come down on, this is total insanity to NOT PAY these people...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I saw on the news a story about the indirect effect of the shutdown in small towns with many of the residents being federal workers. Because they are unsure of when they will get paid again they aren't frequenting local businesses, and those businesses have seen a noticeable drop in revenue. Revenue, unlike the federal workers who will get back pay, they won't recoup.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    The numbers aren't out for Indiana yet, but I'm watching anyway...

The people that have to pay taxes weekly, monthly, quarterly is what I'm watching in particular, if that drops significantly then there is a big effect on the economy.
    Sales tax is down, that's a weekly thing, monthly and quarterly will take a bit to find out.
    States that have different tax rules are reporting drops, but we are only 3 weeks into this, only time will tell... I'm not jumping to any conclusions, and frankly I don't have the time to speculate...

I'm just saying that it's a crying shame the TSA & Coast Guard can't pay their people.
    These are young folks just starting out, and the credit report alone is going to cripple them for at least 7 years, even though they are working when others won't...
    They tried to live on credit cards, always a bad idea, I'm considering paying off her student loan as a wedding present just to get her out from under it, those people are relentless...

I'm just glad they don't have kids yet! That would make it 20 times worse!

-------

Crane (Navy) is just up the road, and it doesn't seem like the military contractors are getting hit yet...
    I have a couple little sub contacts with contractors, and they paid right up (Which is good since I have extra expenses).
    The military/contractors are getting paid, but I had no idea the Coast Guard was under Homeland Security and they aren't paying enlisted.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Not affecting me at all.
    Not quite sure why it would affect your grand niece yet as they just missed their first pay check yesterday from what i understand.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    I’m also unclear about federal workers having trouble since I thought they didn’t miss a check until this week. So I would expect problems to increase from this point forward. I wouldn’t have thought there had been time for things like credit ratings to be affected. It’s really unfortunate that any of these people need to live paycheck to paycheck.

That being said - I agree these federal employees ought to be getting paid to do their jobs. I have not personally noticed any effect but am disappointed in everyone’s inability to compromise...

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    0e11c115996913137cfc99a15fdc5c06.jpg

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

I also have a grand-niece, she is TSA, her husband is Coast Guard enlisted and I just had to pay the rent for them, they aren't getting paid but MUST report to work.
    They can't even quit and get new jobs as long as the government is shut down, and they are specifically forbidden to have second jobs.

The local Coast Guard is paying officers, but the enlisted aren't getting paid since they fall under Homeland security.

Now, keep in mind she has student loans, she had to do two years of college and take several classes at her own expense to get the job she has... She's an explosives detection expert.

These a long hours, low paying, always on call jobs they chose to help people & make everyone safer, and they can't even get food stamps or housing assistance.
    Both have been working double or even triple shifts since so many are 'Sick Outs' and they have to fill in for those that won't work.

To make things even worse, she has been 'Lent Out' to other airports having to drive as much as 2-1/2 hours each way, at her own expense, to cover for people that won't work...
    She doesn't get paid for the commute, they just tell her to 'Report' to where ever and she's expected to be there.

I've lent her a high milage, newer car, give her a gas card, and now paid the rent, and keep in mind her student loans not getting paid is jacking up the interest rate and causing late fees/penalities, so she can do a thankless job for NO PAY...

I'll take them in if needed, but I just think this is serious when they can't pay TSA & Coast Guard.
    Homeland sent them a 'Memo' saying they don't know 'When', or even 'If' they will be paid for the shutdown time, that's up to Congress when the shutdown ends...
    Doesn't matter, their credit ratings are going into the toilet, and in case you don't know, that credit rating is considered when they get security clearance, raises & promotions. Their entire careers are in the toilet right now...

Also keep in mind that many health care workers FOR the VA are not working. (Contract workers, people & civilian hospitals).
    Our veterans (including me) aren't getting the treatment they need, I'm just lucky I don't have a serious condition at this very moment, but what about the veterans that need serious help RIGHT NOW?

I don't know, and don't care which side of 'The Wall' you come down on, this is total insanity to NOT PAY these people...
    I'm sorry that your family has been so effected by the first missing pay check of the government shutdown. May I ask what is your solution, or what are you advocating for to resolve this?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

I don't want to sound callous, I truly do not. I wish everyone could do a job they love and gives them joy and happiness.

However, your grand-niece needs to find a NEW CAREER! You don't get a degree for a :poop: job with :poop: pay. You get a degree for at least a fair job with fair pay, and benefits. You get a skilled job for good pay.

What did our great grandparents do when the dustbowl occurred in the 1930's? They MOVED! They said, "Gee, the farm is dead. This sucks. So we're going to face reality, suck it up, and go where the jobs are!" When there was no safety net of any kind people were far more likely to improvise, adapt and overcome.

Again, I want everyone to have a job they love, but they need also to face reality. I remember listening to Dave Ramsey scolding folks who let their kids get a $70k student debt for a degree in journalism that will never (for most) pay squat.

I also wonder how much your grand-niece and her husband discussed their situation with their landlord? I find it hard to imagine that many folks wouldn't be understanding knowing they would get paid eventually. I also know there are real jerks in the world who wouldn't care, but I believe most would give folks a break.

If your grand-niece truly wants to help folks and already has the start of a basic skill of bomb detection, why not tell her to pursue a career in law enforcement? I just saw another thread where Indianapolis is having a problem with their PD being fully staffed, IIRC. Law enforcement can receive good pay, good benefits, and never gets shut down.

This situation is personal, and close to home, but there are hundreds of thousands of folks out there who are in the same boat. How many were proactive? In other words, how many called their landlords, credit card companies, car loan companies, etc etc etc TWO WEEKS AGO and said, "Hey! I'm one of those folks who has a federal job but may not be paid for awhile. IF this doesn't end before my next paycheck I'll have trouble making payments to you. What can we do to work this out beforehand, just in case?" I'll bet less than 1%. Just a guess. Or, how many have, as Dave Ramsey along with many other wealth advisors, set aside three (3) to six (6) monthes of savings to cover just such an event? In the case of federal employees this happens with regularity so it isn't entirely unexpected.

I know it is very easy for me to sit here at my computer and say this when I'm not the one facing these issues, and I know it hurts to see a loved one suffering. But I must advocate a little bit for individual responsibility and promote the facing of reality. When I was shot I didn't have the savings, but I did have a credit card with $0 on it for emergencies and a disability income insurance policy. I was without a work paycheck for over a year, and it hurt. But with my good credit and my small DI policy I made it for over a year without suffering too badly. Now I am back on track to getting things right again.

I hope all these folks start to see the importance of good fiscal planning, aka prepping light.

Respectfully,

Doug

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    L-1....great post.
    There are no guarantees in this life regardless of who you work for. How many of us or those we know have been downsized. Many thought they had a job for life in the positions they held. But the reality hit when they got the news. There has been talk of a shutdown for a while now so this was not a surprise. I may seem callus but just because you work for the fed is not a forever secure deal. This stuff happens everyday in the private sector. It has happened to me. But I am skilled. No worries as another position was just a few phone calls away. It really hit my spouse. Her job went away in the wink of an eye. No real warning. Whispers and rumors but nothing solid. Bang, no job. 6 figures out the window with no net. It was terrible times but we muddled through it.

No, I really am not to worried for these folks because they will get paid. If life is so tight you miss one check and are in the toilet then I pray a lesson is learned. I wish no one these hardships but brothers if you only knew.

In the end this entire thing is a political football. It could be avoided by writing/passing/operating under a budget. We used to do this. WTF happened. Who was the POTUS to pull this **** 1st.......Was it Clinton. Memory is fuzzy here.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Outside a glimmer of a bit of optimism that folks might realize how unnecessary and evil the federal government is, my response to the OP's question is "no".

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well, I am, or was, within a couple weeks of some tax stamps coming in but that is on hold I understand.

Work wise, I was scheduled to testify in federal court starting Monday but the trial was stayed. Apparently while the judges and attorneys are still being paid there was a problem with funding for witnesses, etc. The DoJ is a funny animal.

Top Bottom