Indiana Committee passes SB 425 - Raise Minimum Age to Purchase Tobacco/E-liquid

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm not surprised to see Jim Merritt as a sponsor. That guy seems to have a long track record of trying to restrict personal freedoms.

I'm not a big fan of this bill. One of the few benefits of turning 18 is being able to buy smokes, or a cigar. I also don't like that the bill has a carve out for veterans. Why can a 19 year old army private buy tobacco, but a 19 year old welder can't?

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Any bill with carve-outs is statism playing on heart strings.

Unequal treatment, no matter how pretty or well-intentioned, is wrong.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    This strikes me as paternalistic, and restrictions based on the "important" issue of the day.

An 18 year old can vote, enter into contracts, get married, and join the military. But they cannot buy alcohol. The alcohol age was raised in the 1980's as a "safety" measure, threatening states with the loss of highway money.

And now we are identifying a subset of young adults who aren't allowed to make a decision about using a legal product.

I lump the states who are acting to raise the age for all firearms purchases to 21 in this same paternalistic group, doing what is cool and trendy to address what has become another "problem."

Either they are adults, or they aren't. If they aren't, then let's raise the voting age, too. Research in the criminal justice area finds that a young brain isn't fully developed until around age 25. Let's raise all the age limits!

Not to mention the carve-outs for certain young adults identified in the bill. Using the power of the state to enforce whatever paternalistic idea is "good for us" today.
    [Sorry, about all that. Rant over, now.]

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm torn. On the one hand, 18s are considered mature enough to vote at all levels and to choose military service and fight and die for their country - so maybe we should also trust their judgement on 'killing themselves to live'. On the other hand, legislators are leery enough of their mental maturity to already restrict purchase of intoxicating substances such as alcohol and MJ.

In general, I think a state should harmonize all of those age restrictions; either let 18s make the call on tobacco, alcohol and MJ or make 21 also the arbitrary cut-off for enlistment and voting

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    They want to eventually make cigs illegal. They're just going to baby step their way to it. No smoking in restaurants, no smoking in certain cities, no smoking in certain counties, raise the age to 19, increase the tax by $2. blah blah blah...

Just grow some balls and introduce a bill to make it illegal. That way we can have a booming black market for prohibited substances. I've already got my rolling machine ordered.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    They want to eventually make cigs illegal. They're just going to baby step their way to it. No smoking in restaurants, no smoking in certain cities, no smoking in certain counties, raise the age to 19, increase the tax by $2. blah blah blah...

Just grow some balls and introduce a bill to make it illegal. That way we can have a booming black market for prohibited substances. I've already got my rolling machine ordered.

A lawmaker in Hawaii is floating a bill to raise the state smoking age to 100.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47129503

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The whole e-cig thing....I get it, carrying around lithium-ion batteries of unknown quality in your pocket and sticking them up to your face....sure, but I have no no real evidence that inhaling vapors with nicotine is harmful. And no, I don't count nicotine addiction unless nicotine itself is harmful.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The whole e-cig thing....I get it, carrying around lithium-ion batteries of unknown quality in your pocket and sticking them up to your face....sure, but I have no no real evidence that inhaling vapors with nicotine is harmful. And no, I don't count nicotine addiction unless nicotine itself is harmful.

Since sarcasm and parody and satire don't convey well over the internet, I'm going to assume you are taking a jab at cell phones. In which case, social media has killed more kids than e-cigs. So far anyway.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If we include mental health as part of "health issues" then cell phone are probably worse for people than Marlboro Reds.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    If we include mental health as part of "health issues" then cell phone are probably worse for people than Marlboro Reds.

Well... I mean...

Texas man killed when e-cig explodes in face

That was just this week, I believe. There's certainly a level of danger.

All the more reason to ban everything that might be harmful! You know, for our own protection. And specially knowledgeable, wise government people will "help" us make the decision about what is "too dangerous" for our own good.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Since sarcasm and parody and satire don't convey well over the internet, I'm going to assume you are taking a jab at cell phones. In which case, social media has killed more kids than e-cigs. So far anyway.

https://people.com/human-interest/texas-man-dies-e-cigarette-explodes-in-face-severing-artery/
    Texas Man Dies After E-Cigarette Explodes in Face, Severing Artery

This is hardly the first time an e-cigarette user has suffered serious injuries because of a device malfunction.
    A North Carolina father was severely burned after a pair of e-cigarette batteries caught fire in his pants pocket after coming in contact with loose change.

“It just exploded,” the man, Kevin King, told Today‘s Jeff Rossen in June 2018. “One minute you’re pulling up in your driveway and the next minute your pants are like crazy on fire.”
    King said he jumped out of the car, then the second battery exploded.

“It just, like, burst into flames,” he said. “It just burned right through my pants. The other one explodes, shrapnel in my face and everything, hits me right in the eye.

King suffered burns to his legs so severe that he needed a skin graft, according to Today. And doctors said that had the shrapnel landed an inch closer to King’s eye, he could have lost his vision.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I wasn’t. What do you think power e-cigs?

My point was just what I stated. The only dangerous thing about them appears to be the battery, not what one inhales. So why are they treated, by the activist class of control freaks, like cigarettes?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well... I mean...

Texas man killed when e-cig explodes in face

That was just this week, I believe. There's certainly a level of danger.

"Be right back. Heading out for a vape break."
    Explosive-Ordnance-Disposal-EOD-suit-Med-Eng-EOD9.png

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Seat belts, motorcycle helmets, cigarettes, e-cigs, etc etc etc.

The nanny state is growing and personal freedom is dying.

Shame. Shame on US!

Doug

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Seat belts, motorcycle helmets, cigarettes, e-cigs, etc etc etc.

The nanny state is growing and personal freedom is dying.

Shame. Shame on US!

Doug

^^This^^

It's about control. I love the commercial pleading for a new/increased cigarette tax to help 70,000 Hoosiers quit smoking.... and raise $300,000,000 for the government coffers.

Do it for the children!

Oh, and if an 18 year old doesn't have the rights of an adult, should the law treat them as an adult when it comes to the ever increasing number of crimes they can prosecute us for?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Senator Merritt even admitted in a radio interview that this law would likely be 100% useless as there is no way to properly enforce it.

Top Bottom