• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hate Crimes Bill Clears Committee

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 1:49 PM EST Updated: Feb 18, 2019 1:49 PM EST[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

...Indiana is one of five states without a specific hate crimes law...

[/FONT]
    ...INDIANAPOLIS -An effort to pass hate crimes legislation in Indiana has taken a step forward. The Indiana Senate Public Policy Committee today voted 9-1 to move a bill allowing for stronger sentences for bias-based crimes to the full Senate. Supporters argued the measure would provide protections for Hoosiers throughout the state and make Indiana more attractive to businesses and talent, while some critics suggested the bill could limit free expression and that current law already provides protections...[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Are they renaming it the Smollett Hate Crimes bill?
    My rep replied the other day and said she is a solid no on it.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Actually, the underlying penalty aggravation is already provided for under our sentencing law.

However, by listing members of protected groups, as SB 12 does, it excludes others.

This is virtue signaling, and the Chamber of Commerce recognizes. It doesn't address a burning need other than to send a clear and distinct signal that Indiana is not the Louisiana of the midwest. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually, the underlying penalty aggravation is already provided for under our sentencing law.

However, by listing members of protected groups, as SB 12 does, it excludes others.

This is virtue signaling, and the Chamber of Commerce recognizes. It doesn't address a burning need other than to send a clear and distinct signal that Indiana is not the Louisiana of the midwest. :):

I've never gotten the term "aggravated" as used in "aggravated assault", etc.. I always thought it sounded like it should carry a lesser penalty than just plain assault.

Judge: "Mr. Smith, you have been charged with assault. How do you plead?"
    Defendant: "Your honor, I did punch Mr. Jones in the nose, but he said some really nasty things about my mother and it really rubbed me the wrong way."
    Judge: "Well I can certainly understand, given that explanation, why you punched him in the nose. It sounds like he prompted the attack with his remarks about your mother. I am going to reduce the charge to aggravated assault."

:):

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I've never gotten the term "aggravated" as used in "aggravated assault", etc.. I always thought it sounded like it should carry a lesser penalty than just plain assault.

Judge: "Mr. Smith, you have been charged with assault. How do you plead?"
    Defendant: "Your honor, I did punch Mr. Jones in the nose, but he said some really nasty things about my mother and it really rubbed me the wrong way."
    Judge: "Well I can certainly understand, given that explanation, why you punched him in the nose. It sounds like he prompted the attack with his remarks about your mother. I am going to reduce the charge to aggravated assault."

:):

That is an interesting perspective that I have always overlooked. Aggravated in this context means basically worse than an ordinary, garden variety assault. :):

The term in Indiana law to described someone saying nasty things about the defendant's mother is probably "provocation," which is actually an infraction (like a ticket, no jail time, fine only).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, you have heard that cigarette tax commercial on WIBC, too?

Growing up, whenever I had a bad idea, my mother would ask "If all of your friends jumped off of a bridge, would you jump too?". Indiana is getting a running start at that bridge.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    It's popular, even among "conservatives". *sigh*

"This is a party which never conserves anything. Its history has been that it demurs to each aggression of the progressive party, and aims to save its credit by a respectable amount of growling, but always acquiesces at last in the innovation. What was the resisted novelty of yesterday is to-day one of the accepted principles of conservatism; it is now conservative only in affecting to resist the next innovation, which will to-morrow be forced upon its timidity, and will be succeeded by some third revolution, to be denounced and then adopted in its turn.

American conservatism is merely the shadow that follows Radicalism as it moves forward towards perdition. It remains behind it, but never retards it, and always advances near its leader.

This pretended salt hath utterly lost its savor: wherewith shall it be salted? Its impotency is not hard, indeed, to explain. It is worthless because it is the conservatism of expediency only, and not of sturdy principle. It intends to risk nothing serious for the sake of the truth, and has no idea of being guilty of the folly of martyrdom. It always—when about to enter a protest—very blandly informs the wild beast whose path it essays to stop, that its “bark is worse than its bite,” and that it only means to save its manners by enacting its decent role of resistance.

The only practical purpose which it now subserves in American politics is to give enough exercise to Radicalism to keep it “in wind,” and to prevent its becoming pursy and lazy from having nothing to whip."

-Dabney...... 1871

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It still hasn't been explained to me why, if harsher punishments offer "more protection", the base level punishment for a crime shouldn't simply be made harsher? Unless the specific intent is to make sure people like me feel like we have less protection by virtue of being members of a lower-value demographic?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It still hasn't been explained to me why, if harsher punishments offer "more protection", the base level punishment for a crime shouldn't simply be made harsher? Unless the specific intent is to make sure people like me feel like we have less protection by virtue of being members of a lower-value demographic?

It is the equivalent to playgrounds "triple dog dare ya"...

Top Bottom