• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The protest is scheduled to bring attention to government regulations that truck drivers say call "unfair." How the electronic logs give them shorter times to deliver loads.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You misspelled "cheat the system by pencil whipping a written log":):

I was posting pretty much what was in the article to answer the op's question. Though I see their point of view. As my buddy is a trucker and sometimes has zero time from offloading to get to his next destination to load. He's also been flagged for moving his rig across the street while on his rest for whatever reason I cant remember at this time.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I don't know enough from the truckers perspective, but I do remember my driver's were very disgruntled about it. We had to hire a driver part time to cover lost productivity. . It was weird, and luckily not my department. I managed production side of the house.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was posting pretty much what was in the article to answer the op's question. Though I see their point of view. As my buddy is a trucker and sometimes has zero time from offloading to get to his next destination to load. He's also been flagged for moving his rig across the street while on his rest for whatever reason I cant remember at this time.

I see both sides' point. We need to protect folks from tired drivers running themselves too long. But we also need better rules to eliminate stuff like them counted as driving when they are sitting on their butts waiting for the fork truck driver to get around to unloading his truck.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Yes, but the time spent protesting by the slow roll will be counted against them on their logs.

Kinda like setting your own couch on fire to protest something, isn't it?

I guess it is better than trying to save time by not securing your loads...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I see both sides' point. We need to protect folks from tired drivers running themselves too long. But we also need better rules to eliminate stuff like them counted as driving when they are sitting on their butts waiting for the fork truck driver to get around to unloading his truck.

I'm not sure you can have that both ways, tired is tired - if you're waiting to have your cargo unloaded, you're not resting/sleeping

Maybe go with something like limits on airline pilots, limits on total duty time and actual flight time with flight time < duty time but some absolute combined limit. IIRC pilots can even extend that duty time a bit but it increases the length of the next mandatory rest period to compensate

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    OK. Elogs are not all bad. I get 8 hours of rest every day and can't be forced to "pencil whip" my log book. I AM forced to plan my trips more carefully and my supervisors and logistics staff are forced to change appointments more often. Truckers being human, and therefore greedy; exceptions are abused to the limit and beyond so they have to be limited. There are a few changes that might improve things and critter haulers have some special circumstances that need acknowledged.
    Biggest improvement would be more available parking along routes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Unfortunately, this seems to be going in the direction of autonomously piloted vehicles. If computers get the approval to drive continuously 24/7 then economics starts the death clock on most driving jobs

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    They (a small group of truck drivers) have done something like this every year in some fashion or another. I could care less.

I love E-Logs too.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They (a small group of truck drivers) have done something like this every year in some fashion or another. I could care less.

I love E-Logs too.

But could you care more? ;)

Sorry, it's my raison d'etre on INGO to post this:

[video=youtube_share;om7O0MFkmpw]http://youtu.be/om7O0MFkmpw[/video]

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    tenor.gif

Yep, that's a sure fire way to get public support. Good call Chet.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Then they should put every available troop on the loop, and pull over and fine every single one of them, then drag out the scales, and do a full DOT inspection on everyone of them. I mean if they want to **** with folks, **** back! Put everyone of them with dings out of service period. They get their slowed traffic, and we get our revenge. It’d be funny if one of these douche nozzles has to end up buying a few tires while he’s losing money not delivering goods.

Top Bottom