Guns seized by EPD in Evansville, Red Flag cited.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    By Jared Goffinet and Chellsie Brown | February 20, 2019 at 12:21 PM CST - Updated February 20 at 5:23 PM

[FONT=&amp]EVANSVILLE, IN (WFIE) - During a press conference Wednesday, EPD Sgt. Jason Cullum discussed a recent arrest and the successful use of the Red Flag Law.

[FONT=&amp]Several days after a call to the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office from a family member, Kenneth Haynie, Jr., 67-years-old, was arrested on February 19 on a False Informing warrant. During the call to the sheriff’s office, the family member said Haynie discussed starting a confrontation with law enforcement, says the EPD news release....

[/FONT][/FONT]
    EPD: 10 firearms, 240 rounds of ammo removed from home after man arrested

---------------------------------

Reading the details, this looks like a legitimate use of the law.

[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    INGO name?

mougotta-pump-those-numbers-up-those-are-rookie-numbers-memegenerator-net-29050642.png

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Again, when did Indiana pass a Red Flag Law?

Looking to the regular cast of characters to weigh in on this...

Not sure if I'm regular, or in the cast of characters, but here goes:

Here's paragraph 1 of IC 35-47 Chapter 14 (AKA Laird Law) and a link below. House Bill 1651 provides more protections and adds transparency to the existing law.

IC 35-47-14Chapter 14. Proceedings for the Seizure andRetention of aFirearmIC 35-47-14-1"Dangerous"Sec. 1. (a) For the purposes of this chapter, an individual is"dangerous" if:(1) the individual presents an imminent risk of personal injuryto the individual or to another individual; or(2) the individual maypresent a risk of personal injuryto theindividual or to another individual in the future and theindividual:(A) has a mental illness (as defined in IC 12-7-2-130) thatmay be controlled bymedication, and has not demonstrateda pattern of voluntarilyand consistentlytaking theindividual's medication while not under supervision; or(B) is the subject of documented evidence that would giverise to a reasonable belief that the individual has a propensityfor violent or emotionally unstable conduct.(b) The fact that an individual has been released from a mentalhealth facilityor has a mental illness that is currentlycontrolled bymedication does not establish that the individual is dangerous for thepurposes of this chapter.As added by P.L.1-2006, SEC.537.IC 35-47-14-2Warranttosearchforfirearm

https://statecodesfiles.justia.com/indiana/2014/title-35/article-47/chapter-14/chapter-14.pdf

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    But that whole bucket is ripe for abuse. Someone can make a completely false report on someone just because they are liberal and hate guns and dont want you to have any and you can be stripped of your INALIENABLE 2nd amendment rights for no valid reason, without due process, The way the law is intentionally vague, it is ripe for abuse to be used to disarm law abiding citizens.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is what is called action without due process.

That is not acceptable.

There’s actually quite an extensive process. Whether it is constitutionally adequate due process or not will ultimately have to be determined by the courts.

Generally speaking, I have no issue with some sort of “red flag” law, but I would always place the burden on the authorities to prove that the seizure and continuing possession of the firearms is necessary. The owner would never have to prove anything to get them back.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There’s actually quite an extensive process. Whether it is constitutionally adequate due process or not will ultimately have to be determined by the courts.

Generally speaking, I have no issue with some sort of “red flag” law, but I would always place the burden on the authorities to prove that the seizure and continuing possession of the firearms is necessary. The owner would never have to prove anything to get them back.

^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wait a minute.

240 rounds / 10 guns = 24 rounds / gun

Damn right he should have his firearms seized! It's obvious he's nuts.

Nobody in their right mind would have less than 500 rounds PER firearm.

We need to clean these whackjobs off the streets before they hurt somebody.

I feel safer already.

Doug

PS - The 500 round rule naturally wouldn't apply to black powder. There the nutty factor is anything below 100.

PPS - Apply purple at your own discretion.:D

Top Bottom