• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Looking at the terms of his life in the embassy it seems like he was already in jail.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It sure was fun watching the internet turn on him after Wikileaks leaked information on people they liked. He really did put his money where his mouth was on throwing everything out there and not discriminating, and paid the price. From a left wing darling and right wing traitor for leaking the war logs and the Apache footage, to a centerpiece of the Russia conspiracy theory for leaking Hillary's emails and...well, still a traitor to the right. No friends left, it seems. Maybe he should have cleaned up after his cat...though really this looks like straight up retaliation for publishing something about Ecuador and Moreno. I have to admit, he has brass balls for that one.

I remember when this first happened. I never would have believed he would be in the embassy for seven years. That's so much longer than any sentence he would have gotten in Sweden for the sexual assault case, but of course the question was always who would win the extradition game. The Obama administration was ready to put him in a deep hole for the rest of his life. I dunno how Trump feels personally, but there are plenty of people left in the administrative state and the military who want to see him hanged.

Seems like support and sympathy for the founding "all information wants to be free" ideology of the internet is in short supply nowadays. Assange has no allies left, and I suspect all outcomes end badly for him.

Seven years, man. He must have been legitimately afraid of something.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Wikileaks just provided a safe public repository for other parties to put documents on display. I thought it provided an important service. If some other party committed treason go after them.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Didn’t he have a FailSafe document dump set up if he was killed/arrested? If so then there may be more embarrassing stuff to come. Perhaps I am thinking of another traitor.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Met Police say Julian Assange "has been further arrested in relation to an extradition warrant on behalf of the United States authorities" for "an extradition warrant under Section 73 of the Extradition Act."

Assange's attorney: “Once his health care needs have been addressed, the UK courts will need to resolve what appears to be an unprecedented effort by the United States seeking to extradite a foreign journalist to face criminal charges for publishing truthful information.”

I'm just sitting here wondering how this plays into the 2020 election.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    big test for free press

expect major changes in the press (on all sides) if he is convicted.

The only changes I would like to see is telling the truth. Facts and figures from the real world 1st. Opinions and agendas being so labeled and not pushed as world news.

Accountability.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    US charges Julian Assange with "conspiracy to commit computer hacking"

Edit: US Justice Dept. says Julian Assange's arrest in UK was pursuant to US-UK extradition treaty "in connection with a federal charge of conspiracy to commit computer intrusion for agreeing to break a password to a classified US government computer."

giphy.gif

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here's the DOJ document

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edva/pr/wikileaks-founder-charged-computer-hacking-conspiracy

WikiLeaks Founder Charged in Computer Hacking Conspiracy
    ALEXANDRIA, Va. – Julian P. Assange, 47, the founder of WikiLeaks, was arrested today in the United Kingdom pursuant to the U.S./UK Extradition Treaty, in connection with a federal charge of conspiracy to commit computer intrusion for agreeing to break a password to a classified U.S. government computer.

According to court documents unsealed today, the charge relates to Assange’s alleged role in one of the largest compromises of classified information in the history of the United States.

The indictment alleges that in March 2010, Assange engaged in a conspiracy with Chelsea Manning, a former intelligence analyst in the U.S. Army, to assist Manning in cracking a password stored on U.S. Department of Defense computers connected to the Secret Internet Protocol Network (SIPRNet), a U.S. government network used for classified documents and communications. Manning, who had access to the computers in connection with her duties as an intelligence analyst, was using the computers to download classified records to transmit to WikiLeaks. Cracking the password would have allowed Manning to log on to the computers under a username that did not belong to her. Such a deceptive measure would have made it more difficult for investigators to determine the source of the illegal disclosures.

During the conspiracy, Manning and Assange engaged in real-time discussions regarding Manning’s transmission of classified records to Assange. The discussions also reflect Assange actively encouraging Manning to provide more information. During an exchange, Manning told Assange that “after this upload, that’s all I really have got left.” To which Assange replied, “curious eyes never run dry in my experience.”

Assange is charged with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion and is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If convicted, he faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison. Actual sentences for federal crimes are typically less than the maximum penalties. A federal district court judge will determine any sentence after taking into account the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and other statutory factors.

G. Zachary Terwilliger, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, John C. Demers, Assistant Attorney General for National Security, and Nancy McNamara, Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Washington Field Office, made the announcement after the charges were unsealed. First Assistant U.S. Attorney Tracy Doherty-McCormick, Assistant U.S. Attorneys Kellen S. Dwyer, Thomas W. Traxler and Gordon D. Kromberg, and Trial Attorneys Matthew R. Walczewski and Nicholas O. Hunter of the Justice Department’s National Security Division are prosecuting the case.

The extradition will be handled by the Department of Justice’s Office of International Affairs.

A copy of this press release is located on the website of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia. Related court documents and information are located on the website of the District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia or on PACER by searching for Case No. 1:18-cr-111.

An indictment contains allegations that a defendant has committed a crime. Every defendant is presumed to be innocent until and unless proven guilty in court.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Didn’t he have a FailSafe document dump set up if he was killed/arrested? If so then there may be more embarrassing stuff to come. Perhaps I am thinking of another traitor.

Traitor to whom? He is Australian.

Oops, guess it is Conspiracy(?).

All these fancy new legal terms I am trying to learn since the Dem's lost:

Spying = Surveillance (if the goal was to defeat Trump)

Collusion = Criminal (if it helps impeach Trump)

Wiping = Housecleaning with a Cloth (if done by Hillary)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Definitely seeing some mixed reactions along party lines, and conflicting ones.

Generally... Left likes him (could help with Russia or something...), Right hates him (because Trump doesn't like him?). A faction of the Left also hates him because he "helped" Trump, and went against Clinton. A faction of the Right likes him because he helped against Clinton, and some tend to believe information, while illegal, is good.

Where do INGO'ers stand?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My opinion is that people have released a lot more damaging information that this.

The Obama admin released the personal info of assets and agents that was actionable by the enemy.

The stuff Asange and Snowden released is more embarrassing than any threat to OPSEC.

Arresting Asange and Snowden (if they ever get him) is more circus and vengeance than anything else. IMO

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here's a crazy thought- if the charge is that he conspired with a boy named Chelsea to defeat computer security and gain access to classified information....why don't we see whether the evidence supports the charge.

Criminal charges are not a referendum upon whether we think, overall, whistle blowers should exist. They are specific allegations about specific actions.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It sure was fun watching the internet turn on him after Wikileaks leaked information on people they liked. He really did put his money where his mouth was on throwing everything out there and not discriminating, and paid the price. From a left wing darling and right wing traitor for leaking the war logs and the Apache footage, to a centerpiece of the Russia conspiracy theory for leaking Hillary's emails and...well, still a traitor to the right. No friends left, it seems. Maybe he should have cleaned up after his cat...though really this looks like straight up retaliation for publishing something about Ecuador and Moreno. I have to admit, he has brass balls for that one.

I remember when this first happened. I never would have believed he would be in the embassy for seven years. That's so much longer than any sentence he would have gotten in Sweden for the sexual assault case, but of course the question was always who would win the extradition game. The Obama administration was ready to put him in a deep hole for the rest of his life. I dunno how Trump feels personally, but there are plenty of people left in the administrative state and the military who want to see him hanged.

Seems like support and sympathy for the founding "all information wants to be free" ideology of the internet is in short supply nowadays. Assange has no allies left, and I suspect all outcomes end badly for him.

Seven years, man. He must have been legitimately afraid of something.

A prison shiv, perhaps? Maybe an ice axe

Edit: Probably another guy who should check his tea with a geiger counter before he drinks it

Last edited:
    Top Bottom