Words or phrases you can't say any more.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The **** I can't...

But anyway. I'm compiling a list of socially forbidden words beyond the obvious ones. I'd appreciate INGO's help. Below is a few I have so far. If you think of one or come across one sometime, post it here.

For some of the puzzling ones I'll post an explanation.

Retarded: Offense: disparages special needs people. Because some people can't imagine a usage that does not disparage special needs people, it's a socially banned word.

You people: Offense: stereotyping. Because some people can't imagine a usage in which it is not used to stereotype. When I say, Hey. Any of you people want to go for some pizza? If you think that's offensive. **** you, you're not getting any ***damn pizza.

Rule of Thumb: Offense: supports wife beating. The claim wrongly conflates this term with a rule that men could only beat their wives with a branch no bigger than the width of their thumb. However, the "rule" isn't a law or precept. It is a measuring device, like a ruler. Don't have a ruler? Use your thumb. I just measured my laptop to be about 20 thumbs wide. The earliest references to the word have nothing to do with wife beating. It means a rough estimate.

Gyp: Offense: racist. Disparages Gypsies.

Hysterical: Offense: Sexist. Greek-ish for uterus. So the literature says. Since some people have used it to describe emotional women, it feeds the "neurotic" stereotype. I find that hysterically funny. But, about stereotypes, many start because they're at least a little true. Some are just made up to put people in groups to disparage. Some are derived from common observations about a group.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How about existing as a straight, white, Christian male? that seems to be pretty offensive to many. Bonus points if you are even semi successful.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    As a rule of thumb you people are hysterical and that’s retarded. Gyp.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Paddy Wagon - insulting to the Irish (as if they could be insulted)

Long time, no see - insults blind people

Off the reservation - insulting to Native Peoples.

Grandfathered In - the practice of giving white voters better access, because their "grandfathers" voted before a certain date. Colored folks' grandfathers couldn't vote.

Hysterical - derived from the Greek word for "uterus". Meaning, all women are crazy.

Einie Minie Minie Mo - the "tiger" was originally a disparaging term for a colored person

Basically, we need to stop communicating, because if you look back far enough, every word or idea has insulted someone, somewhere.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Wait. You used Gyp wrong. It means to bet swindled.
    I just tacked it in on the end because I couldn’t figure out a way at the time to work it in with using the other socially forbidden words to form my non give a crap line.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    NOW I understand why this generation tends to avoid eye contact and face to face conversation. What is perfectly acceptable today can be highly insulting tomorrow. Who could possibly keep up with all this nonsense.
    When I had to abandon Bald for "follicularly challenged" I began to realize what a dinosaur I was and gave up on being politically correct. I certainly hope "dinosaur" didn't offend anyone, I haven't checked in the last 24 hours to see if it's on the list.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Not my monkeys, not my circus.

Suddenly monkeys are no longer monkeys. Suddenly it means that one dislikes black folks. Not true.
    Love this one. My busia used it all the time, but it sounds cooler to me in the original Polish:
    ab304a2b35ae12387e0ad8c6ef584a25.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Can't refer to something as "gay" anymore if you're just calling it lame or stupid.

Where I grew up in the 80s and 90s that word in that context was a totally normal part of vocabulary, and was used with no intended malice toward homosexuals.

Top Bottom