Hit piece on the NRA (...but you better read this one)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Execs over-enriching themselves with exhorbitant salaries for them and their cronies? Color me surprised.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Having read the New Yorker article you linked, I don't see what their problem is with the NRA, except that the NRA lobbies against their fellow libs 2A 'obstructionist' agenda.

Love the quote from Charlie Daniels, tho...........

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Honestly just a little too lazy to read the entire thing as I have my own opinions about the whole mess. I will say that I do agree that they seem to spend an inordinate amount of time begging for more money than anything else. At one point I was getting two calls a week from them warning me of the impending failure of the structure holding up the sky and that without more of my money the whole thing would fall. This was on top of the numerous mailings! I finally chewed out one of their solicitors and told them that in my opinion they were no better than the anti gun side, both utilizing the same tactics and the same inflated information and outright lies.

I once read that "in chaos there is profit" if you're really good you can increase your profits by exploiting the chaos. In this country I'm happy to say that this is alive and well.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I made my decision back in the 90s.

The NRA from the 60s I learned about firearms safety, hunting safety, conservation of hunting lands, stewardship, etc was entirely gone,
    It was replaced by foaming at the mouth "They're Comin' Fer Your Guns!" types, and sneaky, greasy, cheap looking guys in expensive suits.
    The entirety of the monologue was "Give Us More Money", often stating some unnamed, undefined "Them" were coming to rip up the Constitution and take "Our" guns and throw us in concentration camps.

It was the 90s, you had to be there...
    It was such a venerated, trusted institution that people believed them and got the living crap scared out of them.
    Militias sprang up everywhere, neighbors freaked out and turned on neighbors...
    Everything changed, you couldn't have a conversation over a cup of coffee at the local dinner and mull over things anymore, it was lines in the sand & red faced shouting/name calling...

If that's the way they want to do things then it's their right.
    I didn't have to be a part of it...

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Yada yada yada..expected from a liberal magazine. During the Obama years, if the IRS could have removed the NRA's tax exemption, I suggest they would have done it in a heartbeat.

I'm not saying the NRA is without its problems, but I do view it as a bulwark against tyranny.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Yada yada yada..expected from a liberal magazine. During the Obama years, if the IRS could have removed the NRA's tax exemption, I suggest they would have done it in a heartbeat.

I'm not saying the NRA is without its problems, but I do view it as a bulwark against tyranny.

Plenty of churches whose tax exemption would be in question too, not to mention the Clinton Foundation. And of course the IRS was weaponiz3d against conservative organizations for political purposes.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I’m jot so easy to let them off the hook. Just because they’re a bulwark against tyranny should we look the other way? I think I’d rather see it saved. This doesn’t look to me like it’s just yada, yada. Vote out the **********s.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm a life member, have been for a long time. What is see is an organization that has changed with the times. I laugh at news stories which talk about the NRA as being the puppet of the gun industry, intimidating congress to gin up guns sales. Try comparing the NRA's lobby budget with big pharma, china or the trial lawyers association, and tell me who's got the grease in dc. The NRA has become a media machine that pushes pro gun issues, this can generate or change votes. It's tough to compare the NRA of yesterday with today as the entire context of how you deliver a message has changed.

I agree that a lot of those guys are overpaid, but I see that in many places every day.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The times are changing. Orgs become corrupt. Might as well become corrupt. It’s not like they’re any more corrupt than other orgs. Right? That’s a heck of a justification.

That said, I don’t advocate not being a NRA member these days. You can’t vote the **********s out if you’re not a member.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not justifying anything, just pointing out how getting the message out has changed. I don't get to pick who the bosses are, I just get to vote on whatever sauce is on the same sandwich as IndyDave1776 says.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Wow! The left is writing articles that show the NRA in a bad light. That is so surprising.

What is more surprising is that people that have been posting for years how bad the NRA is are agreeing.

And these same people call us Fudds.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wow! The left is writing articles that show the NRA in a bad light. That is so surprising.

What is more surprising is that people that have been posting for years how bad the NRA is are agreeing.

And these same people call us Fudds.
    But it sounds like this one has some validity to it. Do we just accept that?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A leftist rag hating on the NRA. This is my shocked face. When another organization is hated by the left BY NAME (I mean there is no oil company named Big Oil, no pharmaceutical company named Big Pharma, you see where I'm going) as much as the NRA I'll pay attention.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Bottom line: the NRA exists to protect our rights, but slicksters are fleecing both the NRA and gun enthusiasts. I don’t think we should throw the baby out with the bath water, but the NRA needs to clean house and get back to its core mission, which is not fat cats and cronyism.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Bottom line: the NRA exists to protect our rights, but slicksters are fleecing both the NRA and gun enthusiasts. I don’t think we should throw the baby out with the bath water, but the NRA needs to clean house and get back to its core mission, which is not fat cats and cronyism.

I could agree with this. I just do not like the negative attitude some present.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I could agree with this. I just do not like the negative attitude some present.

This is actually where I’m at. If you perceive that I’m being negative, it’s really no different than this. I think there’s an unrealistically positive attitude as well though, that because the NRA is generally effective, this is just meh. I don’t think whatever is going on is something we should just pass off as meh, and ignore.

Top Bottom