Big Tech, Becoming More Powerful Than Governments.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It is especially concerning when I find myself in agreement with a NYT writer on how out of control the big 5 tech companies have gotten. If the US government does not rein them in soon it may be to late. They already have unprecedented power worldwide, all while the sheeple enjoy cat videos...

Long article but I learned several things I did not know before it.

https://www.npr.org/2017/10/26/5601...e-become-more-like-governments-than-companies

This reports that the big tech is creating a shared "Global censorship database" to control what is said. This is not the business of corporations, but of individual governments.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/t...book-microsoft-twitter-youtube-working-global

All in all, pretty scary sh*t...

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I can fully envision a dystopian future, 50 years from now, where techocracies have taken over and have vast armies of drones and sentry bots wearing their branding battling each other with humans caught in the middle.

Kind of Blade Runner meets Minority Report meets iRobot meets Terminator: Salvation meets Idiocracy.

No, I’m not crazy, just that nothing surprises me anymore.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Ever notice how the proposed solutions to latest Big Bad Industry (Oil, Ag, Chemical, Pharmaceutical, and now Tech) is always an even bigger Government? No thanks!

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Other big companies never controlled information like the big tech companies do. A heavy handed government solution isn’t likely a viable solution. But that doesn’t mean a legislative solution isn’t appropriate. Something like an information bill of rights.

Under this, Companies can’t use their market power to oppress individuals, groups, or industries. Mobs can’t use their collective power to oppress companies, groups, or individuals.

Remedies would be in the civil courts rather than regulation. So basically, under such a system, Sargon might sue Patreon, Paypal and other involved companies, for permanently banning him, and attempting to prevent him from using competing services. He would have to prove through the normal standard of evidence for civil cases, that Patreon, and other companies targeted him and conspired to used their combined market power to oppress him by eliminating him from public conversation.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ever notice how the proposed solutions to latest Big Bad Industry (Oil, Ag, Chemical, Pharmaceutical, and now Tech) is always an even bigger Government? No thanks!

The model is there, break them up like Standard Oil or Bell Telephone...

They have for years been guilty of anti-competitive practice, buying what they can, destroying what they cannot buy with their market power.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The thing I think is worth fretting about the most is competition among the big five to provide secure server contracts to the government. Who is naive enough to believe they wouldn't offer unfettered access to their data to .gov, on the downlow, as an inducement toward their company getting the contract. The power they have developed, working in collusion with an Obama-type (that is to say, corrupt) government hierarchy, should be concerning indeed

One (un?)intended consequence of the push to limit/end cash transactions should be seen as a desire to make all economic activity (and thus almost all people) trackable

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The thing I think is worth fretting about the most is competition among the big five to provide secure server contracts to the government. Who is naive enough to believe they wouldn't offer unfettered access to their data to .gov, on the downlow, as an inducement toward their company getting the contract. The power they have developed, working in collusion with an Obama-type (that is to say, corrupt) government hierarchy, should be concerning indeed

One (un?)intended consequence of the push to limit/end cash transactions should be seen as a desire to make all economic activity (and thus almost all people) trackable

Our forefathers would be completely baffled by the incredibly stupid things we as a society and government do today. Can you imagine in WWII if the Department Of Defense had decided to store their top level top secret files at the Washington Post? And yet, AWS, Amazon Web Services, for those of you following along at home, owned by Bezos, owner of the Washington Post and Amazon was just cleared to store top secret data.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...zon-authorized-host-DoD-s-sensitive-data.html

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The lack of interest from this forum in this topic is a perfect example of the disconnect people have between the technology they love and reality of where it is taking us. If members of this forum fail to see the dangerous path we are on how in heck will the masses ever see the light? I would have expected this group would have been an alarm, but it is more like a smoke detector with bad batteries in a room full of smoke.

So so keep the music playing while the Titanic sinks...

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    The lack of interest from this forum in this topic is a perfect example of the disconnect people have between the technology they love and reality of where it is taking us. If members of this forum fail to see the dangerous path we are on how in heck will the masses ever see the light? I would have expected this group would have been an alarm, but it is more like a smoke detector with bad batteries in a room full of smoke.

So so keep the music playing while the Titanic sinks...

I understand your point, but I'm not sure what I can do about it. Yes, I have an iphone and computers, but that's it. I don't have alexis-type crap in my home or office. I don't do face**** or any of that other ****. I can't control, other than my vote, anything the .gov decides to do with satellites, or anything else.

I'm interested in the topic, just don't know what the next step is, other than try to influence the people I come into contact with.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Lack of interest? If a relative handful of people show interest in the topic, I mean like in a way they fundamentally change their lifestyles to avoid potential "big brother" situations. Well, great. But what good did it do. I work with people who, for example, don't care if Alexa is spying on them for Amazon or the government. They think that's the tradeoff for having the conveniences of having Alexa do things for them by simply asking. They think it's a convenience to have personalized ads show up out of nowhere. And if by the government spying, it makes them safer from terrorists, that's a good trade.

You're not going to win by being the lone person off the grid. You just have the satisfaction of knowing that probably no one is spying on you. I'm not saying you should go all out and get fully connected. I have an iphone. Siri is disabled. On my macbook too. Cover over the webcam. Along with some other security concerns addressed. But how far do you go?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Incorrect basic premise. Misdirection.

Big tech is not becoming more powerful than governments but rather is being used by plans and intents to transform what government is and what governments are, to enact social engineering not only in how society functions and what people think but how they perceive and can think.
    This is corporatism at its very finest.

Passing thought and just a suggestion but looking at which nation states are presently in the lead on this tech front can provide an interesting view of who is doing what and intends to be on top. You know, who wants to sit at the center of the web.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Just look what MSM has been doing for years.

Amazon tailor makes your screen by what you have last watched on TV.

Walmart knows exactly what you have ever bought from them.

Car manufacturers can know where you are and when.

Unless you are going to cut all ties to society and get out the aluminum foil, my guess is you are already on the grid...

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The model is there, break them up like Standard Oil or Bell Telephone...

They have for years been guilty of anti-competitive practice, buying what they can, destroying what they cannot buy with their market power.

If you think any such attempt to break up big tech will be anything like Standard Oil or Bell Telephone, then you haven't been paying attention. Instead it will be more like Obama Care, the goal won't be to break up any perceived monopoly but for the Government to take control of it, for our own good of course.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    A few weeks ago my wife was making us hotel reservations online. I happened to be on Google Maps at the same time looking at the city we were going to be visiting to acclimate myself to what there was to do in the area. She announced that it was done, and at the same time a notification popped up on my map showing the location of the hotel with a note that I was staying there with the dates of the visit. She never entered my name on the reservation or anything, the credit card info was enough to tie it to me and for it to show up on my computer in real time.

I think it's all like when Microsoft updated to Windows 10, you could opt out all you want, but it eventually happened anyway. I don't believe they are the least bit worried about any possible penalties for what they do, they figure they can control the damage.

Top Bottom