• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Social media has gained an outsized influence on our society, country, and world. Just exactly what are these huge social media interconnections?

Are they just a platform for people to post? If that be true why do they censor some opinions? FB claimed this in testimony to congress.

Are they a publisher? If they are then they would be liable for content published on the site. FB claimed this in a lawsuit in California.

Are they a public utilitiy? If so then subject to full disclosure of how their system works to the using public, just like a phone company.

What exactly is Facebook?

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think they would argue that they are a platform, but they cannot be held liable for censorship because they are a private business and there is no law against private parties discriminating against political affiliation. So if they don't like conservative opinions, they can outright ban them for such and suffer no legal consequences.

[video=youtube;UKgrIRq7HEA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKgrIRq7HEA[/video]

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's a big bag of money and dc wants a large share. I remember when dc went after Microsoft years ago until Bill Gates learned how the big game is played. You share the wealth with the dc machine or they make things rough for you. The deep state is no different than street thugs running a protection racket.

Always follow the money

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Social media has gained an outsized influence on our society, country, and world. Just exactly what are these huge social media interconnections?

Are they just a platform for people to post? If that be true why do they censor some opinions? FB claimed this in testimony to congress.

Are they a publisher? If they are then they would be liable for content published on the site. FB claimed this in a lawsuit in California.

Are they a public utilitiy? If so then subject to full disclosure of how their system works to the using public, just like a phone company.

They are definitely a platform by which people post opinion, yet being a private entity they are not accountable to certain censorship standards set forth under certain regulations, that of being a publisher anyway. This being said, the national government would like nothing better than to regulate such social media as a utility. As a utility, the control, censorship and use would all be regulated in a manner set forth via commissions and law. This would be a mere propaganda machine for a controlled voting populace.~~"One Man's Opinion!"

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As I've said before, I only joined Facebook to be able to access the comment sections of most major news sites (under a totally fake profile). What cracks me up is when I see people *****ing about certain news articles, saying, "Why is this news???" I just want to scream at those people, "It's ****ing called "Social" Media for a reason! If you want "news" look elsewhere!"

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    What they are doing is fine as long as they are not declining to bake a cake for a gay wedding....

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

The spawn of Hell and big brother's wet dream.

Both can go straight back to Hell.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They are definitely a platform by which people post opinion, yet being a private entity they are not accountable to certain censorship standards set forth under certain regulations, that of being a publisher anyway. This being said, the national government would like nothing better than to regulate such social media as a utility. As a utility, the control, censorship and use would all be regulated in a manner set forth via commissions and law. This would be a mere propaganda machine for a controlled voting populace.~~"One Man's Opinion!"

FB stated in court filings they were a publisher. They cannot have it both ways.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Nothing that interests me.

Unfortunately those days are past.

68% of your countrymen get their news there. Business must be there. The anti-gun nuts are there. It IS the place millions get information and learn. If everyone is not allowed to be there posting and sharing no matter viewpoints, they are locked out of the new town square.

This is is why I posted this, to let folks that do not follow this type of issue just how important it is, even for non users.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    Evil

I worked with people who everyday complained about something their liberal friends wrote.
    Just sign off and take a few deep breaths before you have a stroke.

Top Bottom