Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Omar of MN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BugI02 View Post
    46249 members, Jetta. The ones saying all muslims are a monolith are what - five? Ten? What's your preferred generalization masquerading as an accurate count?

So right back at you, either 'failing to honor the nuances of individuality' is a problem if a few, or indeed only one does it; or it's not a problem at all 'here on INGO' and doesn't need to be stated
    I dunno, Bug. You tell me - you seem to want to argue this into the ground.

It's one person here, and one response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

It takes two to argue, Jetta

I was critical of a post that was not your post, yet you felt compelled to jump in

So, of the two of us; who was looking for an argument, again?
    Who knew liberty would contain so many stems and seeds

User Info Menu

No, to the poster vogueing in #101
    Take a few weeks off, come back, and see I still have the Midas Touch. If I were a rapper I'd brush my shoulders off.
    I Have the Worst Crew Ever

User Info Menu

There are certain members that will jump in whenever they feel someone is generalizing.

Donkey Hotey was the same way.

User Info Menu

I will concede the point, that I overstated the case. Rather say "Why do people feel the need to act so sanctimoniously, and is testimony all that is required?"

Edit: And acceding to the desire for maximum accuracy, how many people have stated that they do see all muslims monolithically? And how often is that merely an inference drawn from what they post?
    I've seen the term sanctimonious thrown about. Just so we lay it out there, you're saying people act as if they're self-righteous. I don't think I've seen many conversations like that on INGO. But, we do talk about moral positions on various topics, and right and wrong. And when you have to sides contending a moral issue in a discussion, both sides will think and argue that they're on the right side. That contention isn't sanctimony. It should be thought of as just discussing ideas. I think that's the right way to look at it anyway.

I may advocate for people to strive to be unbiased, for example. I may point it out when I see it. But it doesn't mean I think I am unbiased. I expect you to point it out when I don't see it in myself. It's easy to see the bias in other people but exceedingly hard to see it in oneself. That's not sanctimony. It's just how people are wired.

And maybe I'm wrong about all that. But that's just how I've come see it. You're welcome to state your case for why it's some other way.
    I have spoken.
    If you’re woke you dig it.
    jamil is awesome

User Info Menu

Dean Burnett

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...y-of-hypocrisy
    It’s only wrong when YOU do it! The psychology of hypocrisy
    Interesting read.

I forget now where I read it, but in evolutionary terms, hypocrisy is a feature, not a bug. Not every evolved feature is good though. It just means there was an evolutionary reason why those traits were more successfully passed on than not. But everyone is wired to be hypocritical and we're all hypocrites about something, and we most likely don't know that we're being that. The most evident conclusion for me about that as an evolutionary feature, is that maybe we should kinda stop hypocritically complaining about each other's hypocrisy, because we're all in the same boat on that. Not to say we shouldn't point out inconsistencies in each other. We need to figure it out some way.
    I have spoken.
    If you’re woke you dig it.
    jamil is awesome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamil View Post
    I've seen the term sanctimonious thrown about. Just so we lay it out there, you're saying people act as if they're self-righteous. I don't think I've seen many conversations like that on INGO. But, we do talk about moral positions on various topics, and right and wrong. And when you have to sides contending a moral issue in a discussion, both sides will think and argue that they're on the right side. That contention isn't sanctimony. It should be thought of as just discussing ideas. I think that's the right way to look at it anyway.

I may advocate for people to strive to be unbiased, for example. I may point it out when I see it. But it doesn't mean I think I am unbiased. I expect you to point it out when I don't see it in myself. It's easy to see the bias in other people but exceedingly hard to see it in oneself. That's not sanctimony. It's just how people are wired.

And maybe I'm wrong about all that. But that's just how I've come see it. You're welcome to state your case for why it's some other way.
    I just see "Not all [pick your favorite oppressed group] are represented by [Him, Her, It or Them etc]" as some kind of progressive shahada

It serves no purpose beyond placing one's heart on one's sleeve. It stinks. It pretty clearly is meant to say "I'm not biased" and imply "but you probably are"

It is virtue signaling at it's most annoying. The OP was primarily about one particular individual, who happens to be muslim (by self proclamation) with whether she is a representative example open for discussion. She also happens to be a ***** (I agree with the OP) and arguably a number of other unsavory things

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2A_Tom View Post
    There are certain members that will jump in whenever they feel someone is generalizing.

Donkey Hotey was the same way.
    You are correct, and I am certainly one of the guilty

Don't cut me any slack

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

You are correct, and I am certainly one of the guilty

Don't cut me any slack
    OK. (me too)
    I just see "Not all [pick your favorite oppressed group] are represented by [Him, Her, It or Them etc]" as some kind of progressive shahada

It serves no purpose beyond placing one's heart on one's sleeve. It stinks. It pretty clearly is meant to say "I'm not biased" and imply "but you probably are"

It is virtue signaling at it's most annoying. The OP was primarily about one particular individual, who happens to be muslim (by self proclamation) with whether she is a representative example open for discussion. She also happens to be a ***** (I agree with the OP) and arguably a number of other unsavory things
    Why do you think it's 'some kind of progressive shadada', whatever that is? What if someone, like me, thinks that it is just to try to find the truth/correct the mislead/bring about a better world?
    Note:gotta bail for an appointment so will be out but will jump back in...

User Info Menu

Come'on, Bug. You're going to sit there and act like that's not a contributing factor in this whole thread?

Riddle me this: Why out of the 646+ posts in the AOC thread, not one mentions that she's Catholic?

Sure, I think Omar is bad for America, but not necessarily because of her religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast