• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    :rockwoot:Here's the entire list of Libertarian candidates running for President in 2020

#1 - Vermin Supreme

***Language***
    [video=youtube;5UBHIJdNE64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UBHIJdNE64[/video]

Please add more [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] as they come up.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Libertarian Party? Oh I forgot about them. They still around?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've seen some strong Libertarian candidates on the local and state level in the past, but it troubles me that the people they nominate as their presidential candidates don't seem to embrace the concept of "liberty."

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    No. I think Gary Johnson killed them all with his slogan.
    Dkg0Rk.gif

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Well. That too. But his slogan was "feel my Johnson". And the people who did turned to stone. That's my theory of where all the Libertarians went.

ETA: or maybe it was "feel the Johnson", because it was supposed to be a sort of spoof of the "feel the Bern" slogan for Bernie Sanders. Whatever. Still turned to stone.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It's definitely a weak line-up so far.

We have the Joke Candidates:

• Vermin Surpreme - boot head guy. Political caricature.
    • Daniel Behrman - Stupid hat guy. Sadly, I think he might be serious.
    • John McAfee - I'm not even sure if he is planning on trying to run as a Libertarian this time. Either way, he is completely insane and is apparently on the run again. On the more entertaining front, he promised to eat his own... uhm, Johnson, on live TV if BitCoin doesn't hit $1 million by 2020. So that should be good for a laugh.

We have the minor candidates that no one other than party insiders know

• Adam Kokesh - also a crazy clown (in my opinion) and has zero chance of anything
    • Arvin Vohra - former LP Vice Chair who has decided the only way to go is to out Trump Trump, and has gone way off the deep end, pissing everyone off (he lost his re-election bid in a massive landslide against him)
    • Kim Ruff (with John Phillips as VP) - actually a sincere, professional candidate, but she has little real coverage outside of some very minor runs.

Then we have the washed up hopefuls from other parties

• Justin Amash - Republican Rep, libertarian leaning (small 'L'). Apparently flirting with the idea of coming over. Called for Trumps impeachment recently, which might be an opening move.
    • TBD - there is usually more

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    • Justin Amash - Republican Rep, libertarian leaning (small 'L'). Apparently flirting with the idea of coming over. Called for Trumps impeachment recently, which might be an opening move.
    I heard someone comment on the radio yesterday that Amash's break on impeachment was to firm up his LP bona fides for his upcoming run for President. I don't see how that will help him but who knows.
    Someone needs to pardon MJ so we can get the line on which candidate is a real libertarian.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I heard someone comment on the radio yesterday that Amash's break on impeachment was to firm up his LP bona fides for his upcoming run for President. I don't see how that will help him but who knows.
    Someone needs to pardon MJ so we can get the line on which candidate is a real libertarian.

I think that if you're running for president, if you don't have at least 2 intersections of oppression, you have to go hard anti-trump. Amash is just a white male. He has zero intersections of oppression. If he were not anti Trump he'd have no reason to run. It's one of the first questions asked in the debates.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I think that if you're running for president, if you don't have at least 2 intersections of oppression, you have to go hard anti-trump. Amash is just a white male. He has zero intersections of oppression. If he were not anti Trump he'd have no reason to run. It's one of the first questions asked in the debates.

Well, he is Arab (Palestinian father and Syrian mother). Not sure that counts as white. Though he is Christian, so no bonus points there.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, he is Arab (Palestinian father and Syrian mother). Not sure that counts as white. Though he is Christian, so no bonus points there.

No, you're right. I didn't know that. He gets the intersectional points for being an Arab. Not as much as if he were an Arab female of Islamic faith. But being a male Christian and not progressive, that more than cancels out his Arab intersection. This dude is pure evil to the progressives. And not on friendly terms with Trumpers, I'd imagine.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    No, you're right. I didn't know that. He gets the intersectional points for being an Arab. Not as much as if he were an Arab female of Islamic faith. But being a male Christian and not progressive, that more than cancels out his Arab intersection. This dude is pure evil to the progressives. And not on friendly terms with Trumpers, I'd imagine.
    Wonder where he falls on enslaving cake bakers?

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wonder where he falls on enslaving cake bakers?

I don't know. Austin Peterson was firmly on the side of keeping the government out of that conversation. I suspect Amash is not a progressive, so I'm guessing he's more like Peterson.

Not that I want to re-litigate the debate. But I looked up the debate between Peterson and Johnson to refresh my memory of his position and now I can't not recap the insanity. Johnson's objection to the baker was on the grounds that religious discrimination is unacceptable. Of course his argument is stupid because this was not an issue of religious discrimination. The baker didn't deny the gay couple because they were of a particular, or not the "right" religion. The discrimination was against gay people being married to each other. Just because the decision was derived from a person's religious convictions doesn't make it religious discrimination.

In the debate, Peterson got tangled up a bit in the same conflation. He countered with the question, should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a Nazi wedding cake? Again, that's not religious discrimination either. Forget for a moment that Gary Johnson said YES to that question, proving that he smoked much weed before the debate. Jewish people didn't have to be religiously "Jewish" to be persecuted by Nazis. It was their immutable heredity that they were persecuted for. So a Jewish person's understandable reaction to making a Nazi wedding cake, has nothing to do with religion.

But Johnson took the debate to new heights of stupid by saying that Jews should have to bake Nazi wedding cakes, presumably again because of his conflation that any religiously determined action is the same as religious discrimination. Maybe he thought he was being consistent. But Nazi isn't a protected class. Being a Jew is, both on religious grounds and race/ethnicity. The Nazi is gonna lose that, and should. But not because he's a ****ing nazi. Because, generally speaking, both sides of a transaction should have an equal right to veto the transaction.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

I don't know, there was also some talk of Amash's involvement in a business that is intertwined with China and likely to be harmed by a trade war so firming up his LP bona fides may just be a side benefit. Either way, it seems personal benefit, of one kind or another, is the driving factor.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've noticed Amash has accused Trump of criminal behavior rising out of the Mueller Report, but I haven't seen anywhere where he's said exactly what those "high crimes and misdemeanors" are, exactly. Anyone have an idea to what he's referring?

Top Bottom