• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Right-wing fears about people kicking in the doors of wealthy white gun owners to take away their arms might seem laughable. But that is precisely the kind of thing the task force was doing to the mostly black citizens of Baltimore. And when progressives call for gun control in a city where many of the guns are already illegal, they are calling either for tougher penalties or for more squads like the task force.

The authors call for addressing the causes underlying violence.

We have been stuck in this war for so long that we don’t know what Baltimore would look like if the war units weren’t out there. We can’t imagine a city where we spent our money on hiring more teachers or creating more afterschool programs or increasing wages — things that address the root causes of violence instead of waging war on our own citizens.

Not sure they have the answer, but they're posing a different question than seizing firearms and building a climate of mistrust between the police and the citizens.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

The authors call for addressing the causes underlying violence.

Not sure they have the answer, but they're posing a different question than seizing firearms and building a climate of mistrust between the police and the citizens.

I didn't realize I was wealthy. :dunno:
    And exactly which type of black citizens were getting their doors kicked in? Were these gang members? Or were they working poor but otherwise good law abiding folks? One is proper policing, the other is a civil rights violation.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I didn't realize I was wealthy. :dunno:
    And exactly which type of black citizens were getting their doors kicked in? Were these gang members? Or were they working poor but otherwise good law abiding folks? One is proper policing, the other is a civil rights violation.

The article doesn't link to any empirical data, other than one anecdote-based report from the Obama years. Not surprising. I suppose we have to buy their book to find out.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The article doesn't link to any empirical data, other than one anecdote-based report from the Obama years. Not surprising. I suppose we have to buy their book to find out.

Was this book written by the Mayor of Baltimore? I'm sure that will go well.

Top Bottom