• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    Unfortunately I don't think they're the last tech company to do this...

"A company spokesperson confirmed the change to CNBC following a Washington Post report revealing Salesforce was barring certain firearms companies from using its services. The policy was updated in early April to bar customers that sell a range of firearms, including automatic and certain semi-automatic firearms, 3D printed guns and even blueprints for such guns."

“After carefully reviewing similar policies in the industry and discussing with internal and external stakeholders, we updated our policy,” a Salesforce spokesperson said. “The change affects new customers and a small number of existing customers when their current contracts expire.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/30/salesforce-bans-some-gun-sellers-from-using-its-software.html

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    This is absurd. Also can someone tell me why barrel shrouds are so scary?

Sales for is kinda a dumpster fire. Just one more reason why I would never work for them (again)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The gun and free speech industries need to start creating new payment processors, hosting companies, etc to take over from these woke *******s who are weaponizing their companies for social control.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    The gun and free speech industries need to start creating new payment processors, hosting companies, etc to take over from these woke *******s who are weaponizing their companies for social control.

However, unfortunately, I think the "free speech industries" are on board with much of this. Some SJW's are now asserting that certain speech is not protected, such as "hate speech" or commercial speech they disagree with. And they want to be the sole arbiters of what is worthy of protection.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    This is so stupid. I just don't understand why companies feel compelled to get involved in social issues like this, which instantly alienates a portion of the potential market. It's just dumb.

Also, Oracle, SAP, and Adobe are large(r) competitors to Salesforce in the SaaS space, so just FYI for any decision makers who don't want to put money in the pockets of anti-gun bullies. Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of anti-gunners in those other 3 companies, but at least (so far) they haven't been trying to force that down the throats of their customers.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The irony being it's perfectly OK to force someone to do business with just about anyone else. IE a very conservative bakery pushed to serve a LGBT event.

color me shocked

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    A friend of mine works there. She posted this on her FB about how proud she is to work there. She says Ethics>Money. Umm, they're using money to force their view of ethics. It's really no different.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ^^^ This ^^^.

Bake the damn cake, bigots.
    Exactly. I see absolutely no difference between what these companies are doing regarding gun owners (refusing to allow the use their advertised product) and businesses putting up "No Colored Allowed" signs in their windows back in the 40's and 50's. Gun owners aren't a "protected class" (there shouldn't be a need for protected classes in any case). If you're going to offer a service or a product for sale, then either you provide it or sell it to everyone, or not at all. Conversely, if the government can force a business to cater to things they don't agree with, then everyone should be able to do the same. Shouldn't be able to have it both ways. As long as it is consistent in all instances, then fine. This picking and choosing against whom it is okay to discriminate is just wrong.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Personally, I think any business should be able to refuse service to any person or entity for any reason, but now that the precedent has been set ... :whistle:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Personally, I think any business should be able to refuse service to any person or entity for any reason, but now that the precedent has been set ... :whistle:

Exactly. If conservatives have to have progressive ideals shoved down their throat, that's a two way street. you want to have a dialog on guns, fine lets start with playing by the rules and playing fair. They say they're just asking for moderation or common sense then someone does this and they wonder why conservatives don't want to listen to them.

Top Bottom