NWI
    Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Guy looks like a dweeb and a career bureaucrat.

I want the guy running the ATF to look like this dude.

1bb80495849e8f687eaaa4e0b5ca9c60.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If I read it right, the guy selected to lead AT and unconstitutional F is pro-second? If so then I don't care what he looks like.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If I read it right, the guy selected to lead AT and unconstitutional F is pro-second? If so then I don't care what he looks like.

Agreed, but that little snippet wasn't in the article, nor was it a testimonial from someone else. It appears to be his own take on his support for 2A with no context. Heck, even Shannon Watts claims she supports the second amendment. Doesn't make it true.

I'm not saying the guy isn't a decent choice. I've never heard of him. But based on Trump's superficial support of gun rights, and the fact that career bureaucrats rarely work to preserve rights, we should all be wary.

ETA: click on the link to in the OP "E-mail to FOP" and review that thread.

This guy doesn't appear to be on our side at all.

Last edited:

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence

Is he going to say he's anti-second? I don't care what he looks like either, but I also don't care what he says, I care about what he does.

to follow up on that, I have a genuine, open-ended question: How does one accept his position while being as pro-second as we would like?

Let's say he somehow speeds up the processing for NFA paperwork. Now we can all get suppressors as quick as a 4473. Does that qualify as pro-second? Just spitballing here.

I am curious as to what we think the head of ATF can realistically do to follow the oath taken to protect the Constitution. I say "realistically" because I'm not sure something like abolishing the NFA entirely (or at least diligently working to undo some of its current restrictions) is realistic, but I will leave that up to the better informed out there.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    https://nationalgunrights.org/resou...s-anti-gunner-nominated-as-next-atf-director/
    Breaking News! Anti-Gunner Nominated as Next ATF Director

https://www.nssf.org/nssf-praises-nomination-chuck-canterbury-atf-director/
    NSSF PRAISES NOMINATION OF CHUCK CANTERBURY FOR ATF DIRECTOR

Read this one!
    http://www.captainsjournal.com/2019/05/28/fraternal-order-of-police-president-chuck-canterbury-picked-to-head-atf/

I think he's a no go for me. He's also a fan of civil asset forfeiture

Telling the congress critters nope

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    From the NSSF endorsement:

“President Trump’s confidence in nominating Mr. Canterbury to lead the ATF shows his dedication to ensuring continued cooperation from the firearms industry,” said Lawrence G. Keane, NSSF Senior Vice President and General Counsel. “Mr. Canterbury’s nomination by President Trump for confirmation by the Senate demonstrates the president’s commitment to our nation’s leading firearms law enforcement and regulatory agency.

Continued cooperation from the firearms industry? Cooperation with what, unconstitutional infringements?

Commitment to the regulatory agency? Uh, no thanks.

And people say the NRA are Fudds? Give me a break NSSF.

More troublesome still is this letter from Canterbury to Patrick Leahy.

Dear Mr. Chairman,

I am writing on behalf of the Fraternal Order of Police, the oldest and largest law enforcement organization in the United States, to strongly recommend that several measures, all absolutely critical elements of addressing gun violence, be included in any legislation moving forward as a result of your deliberations.
    These measures are:

•Expansion of background checks on firearm purchasers;
    • Reinvigoration of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATP) to ensure that it has the tools and resources necessary to its mission;
    • Improved law enforcement access to mental health records in the context of firearms acquisition;
    • Funding to put more State and local law enforcement officers on the street.

Not just "no." How about a resounding "**** no." This guy is a pencil pushing statist through and through. I can understand his desire to want to try and protect law enforcement officers, but not at the expense of law abiding citizens.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I am very disappointed in the NSSF and the ASA. I don't think Canterbury is a good choice to run the BATFE. Truthfully, the ASA's stance in particular is shocking - I really thought better of them.

Top Bottom